Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shadowsun... What role?
Closed Thread
Old 08 May 2006, 14:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Shadowsun... What role?

I've thought about this long and hard, and am finding that she excels at many roles.... and pays for them all....

She can be a super deepstriking tank hunter monat.

She can be a hang-back-and-help-little-guys-pass-ther-ld-test lady.

She can hop up the board along with the other suits, relying on ther stealth+shield drones to protect her, and get into whuparse range along with a bunch of other helios.

She can do all of the above VERY well, but then again, so can any 1 other model for less than 100pts a pop.

I would say she'd be perfect for games about 1000 - 1250 points, but then she cant be played at that pt lvl.....

le sigh~

Thoughts?
Old 08 May 2006, 14:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Shadow sun... What role?

She looks cool... and that's about it. She can not deep strike (not listed in her profile), she has short ranged guns, and she's expensive. I would rather take a sunforge suit team (TL FB/SG & a Team Leader with TL FB/SG/HWDC with 2 Shield Drones and a Target Lock) for 161 pts.
Old 08 May 2006, 14:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

She's definitely a defensive suit for a static army. I'd take her for the big leadership bubble and use the FBs to punch out a couple models when the inevitable assault gets close. I think she's worthwhile if you have a beefy firebase, like 24-36 FW, 8 PF, 6 sniper drones, and 3 broadsides...all in 2 square feet of table. Plunk her down in the middle of all that, and it's well spent points. But as a tank-hunting cowboy...nah.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 08 May 2006, 15:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ollie

Quote:
She looks cool... and that's about it. She can not deep strike (not listed in her profile), she has short ranged guns, and she's expensive. I would rather take a sunforge suit team (TL FB/SG & a Team Leader with TL FB/SG/HWDC with 2 Shield Drones and a Target Lock) for 161 pts.
i think you will find you are wrong, sir.
all tau characters with jump-packs can deepstrike, and her profile includes a jump-pack. just like gun drones, stealthsuits and crisis suits.

quotes fixed - Khanaris

In loving memory of Kangaroo Joe 1987-2007

May the Emperor smile upon him
Quote:

by Farseer Emlyn

This could be solved if only they'd give Space Marines access to Commissars. "I'm sorry brother Amaleius, there isn't room for you in the transport" *BANG*. "Alright, men, let's get moving".
Old 08 May 2006, 22:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Rechar Send a message via Yahoo to Rechar

She wears a XV-22 Battlesuit, in its profile there is no mention of being able to deepstrike, unlike the XV8 which specifically states it can. Its nothing to do with having jetpacks.

She cannot deep-strike.

"Just as the chaotic nature of these aliens is anathema to we of the Empire, so it is that the Tau'va is abhorent to them. They have no capacity to accept such glory and should be kulled so the Empires efforts may be spent in a more productive manner." attributed - Shas'O Rech'Ar
Old 08 May 2006, 22:54   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

In the profile of the suit,it didn't mention that it can deepstrike but i think we should wait for the new FAQ. Also,we have to find out what about Farsight.Does he count for the 0-1 Commander..

As for Shadowsun i think she isn't good at all.She's very expensive,has very limited range(considering that she's fielded with a static army),limited rate of fire...just not that good..
Old 08 May 2006, 23:18   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie

i think you will find you are wrong, sir.
all tau characters with jump-packs can deepstrike, and her profile includes a jump-pack. just like gun drones, stealthsuits and crisis suits.
Unfortunately, the new codex removed that rule, instead explicitly noting deep-strike in the profile of those units who may do so. Since Shadowsun doesn't have it listed, she can't use it at this time. It may get fixed in the FAQ, or it may have been intentional. We don't know at this point.
Old 08 May 2006, 23:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Shadowsun... What role?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Actual
le sigh~

Thoughts?
Hey man,

Shadowsun is actually quite useful. She's not perfect, but she has quite some fun things to her that were already mentioned here a bit. If you'd like to read more in depth about some uses of her, check out the following post:

~ Commander Shadowsun :: Worth While, or Dust Collector? ~

She's a great defensive counter unit; great at making things Ld10 stable and wonderful for putting a big hold in something that normally you have trouble with (like a Tyrant). I encourage you to read the above

Cheers!
Old 08 May 2006, 23:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

for a large point static tau list, she is really good. almost worth the high points that you will pay to have her in your list. for a hybrid list she's ok, able to keep the non mobile part of your army fighting most of the time. for mech she is not worth it.
Old 09 May 2006, 00:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think the only problem is that she is made for a static army...but has the shortest ranged guns in the army. If she had missile pods or even plasma rifles it'd be another story, as it is she doesn't excel in any one area.
Closed Thread