Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

For those of you who didn't see my article in the newsletter...
Closed Thread
Old 07 May 2006, 08:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default For those of you who didn't see my article in the newsletter...

Dee de de dum, de dum, de dum, can't touch this...

Back in days of 'yore' when the race of Tau was new (wow, am I getting old or did we just a new codex quickly!?) it seemed to me only a couple of distinct ways people I met played Tau - either Mechanised or Static. Of course you had your hybrid mixes, but we really didn't have the variety of units to play in many different styles.

However with the new codex preceding the cities of death expansion for 40k it is clear Tau have been made competitive with this in their new units/wargear. In particular it is now very possible to have a 'Stealth' based Tau army - or as I like to call it 'Invisible Tau'.

This is basically how I am going about playing and constructing my army with this new codex, so I thought I'd just share with you my ideas...

Main Principles of Invisible Tau

Instead of trying to wipe your enemy clean off the table, I concentrate more on frustrating him by denying him the chance of victory points. E.g. keeping my troops zipping around in Devilfish, firing from out of LOS (using seeker missiles or Smart Missile Systems for example) or using units which utilise stealth fields, or classic old 'jump, shoot, jump' tactic of battlesuits. As a result of this combat, even with Kroot must be avoided, and creating any sort of nice big attractive gunline for the enemy is not the idea.

Invisible Units and how they work...

How strictly you keep to the rules of an army plan is always up to you, it may depend on the background fluff of your army - however here are all the units that you should be using -

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits - They can stay invisible by jumping out of cover, shooting and jumping back in again - with a lack of braodsides in a 'pure' invisible army then these guys become an important ant-tank source with Missile Pods and Fusion Blasters.

Stealth Suit Team - Obviously these are the masters of Stealth with their stealth field generators, utilising the 'jump-shoot-jump' technique they operate similarly to their Crisis counterparts, however usually against medium to light infantry. Don't forget to use their infiltration to gaurd a flank or take early good positions/table quarters.

Mounted Fire Warriors - This is the closest to invisible we can get in our troops section. When the Devilfish has a SMS (and a Targetting Array to boost that BS) it's a handy shooter in itself. The Fire Warriors themselves are protected in the main part from fire, and with careful positioning you can set them down wherby nothing can see them, yet to get to them in assault you have to wander into their line of sight (or more importantly - their rapid fire range ). Alternativley, dumping them into some dense cover to shoot out of works great too!

Gun Drone Squardrons - With Tau jetpacks they are ideal for acting as small but annoying units, with the ability to pin meaning they can always be dangerous. Deepstriking they can also capture objectives late on in the game, or snipe rear armour of vehicles.

Pathfinders - For me my favourite unit with the new markerlight rules and one of the key players in invisible Tau. Understandably, if you are denying your opponent Line of Sight, you aren't going to be popping off as many shots yourself, therefore if you make sure that the shots you do fire are markerlight guied you can really make them count. Not only improved Ballistic Skill, but the lowering of pinning tests is key too. Just as your opponenet thinks there is nothing more frustrating than being shot from behind a wall, now they are being shot from behind a wall and can't move to do anything about it! Don't forget to add that SMS to the fish, but be careful where you place the pathfinders - they are a unit which does need constant Line of Sight to as many enemy units as possible to give you a wide selection of ones to mark up.

Sniper Drone Teams - Again, with Stealth field's this guys are instant choices, heavy infantry killers they work best in teams of two, or possibly three if you can afford it. Keep them spread apart to reduce to chance of them all being run over together, and enjoy the long ranged weaponry coupled with the stealth fields to step up firing alleys where you can trap an opponent.

Sky Ray - With a Smart Missile System and Seeker Missiles all being able to fire without a line of sight? This tank is a God-send for invisible Tau and with the mobile markerlights too can support other units superbly. Keep this moving behind cover and you will keep your enemy guessing and fearing when it will strike with those seeker missiles.

If you want to read or hear more about tactics for 42's 'Invisible Tau' then keep your eyes peeled on the Tau board this month, I should be posting up an army list too. Oh and of course if you want to see them...good luck!

Old 07 May 2006, 08:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8
Default Re: For those of you who didn't see my article in the newsletter...

Nice thread, I might have to give one of these lists ago, It definitely sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 07 May 2006, 09:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Broadsides might also be good for this, they are slow, but squad of three gets 12 shots on SMS. Given A.S.S., theycould even threaten some vehicles while not endangering themselves to incoming fire. Plus they present something your opponent will try to hit, a sort of bait.

Old 07 May 2006, 13:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I agree with you LordDemon, the units I listed were the 'pure' invisible ones, but certainly Broadsides have a case for being in this army if played in the right style. Seeing as with a lack of Hammerheads the army will only have strength 7 or 8 guns at maximum then definately a Broadsides or two will be handy for the anti-tank duties.

Using a bait as you suggested is also a good tactic - if the rest of the army is either out of Line of Sight, in cover, or protected by a stealth field, then it's likely that your opponent will soon get frustrated and go for what he can see plainly. If you put this unit in the open quite far back you can make sure your opponenet has to advance forward, and hopefully into some sort of snare where your units can come in from the sides (mounted fire warriors are great at this) and pick off his units which get seperated from the main force.

Old 07 May 2006, 13:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hm, my brother usually tries to take out my Broadsides first with like all his heavy fire. They tear him up.

Broadsides are a must.

The strongest on your list is the seeker missile which 8, but can only be fired in tandem with a markerlight. But looks good none the less.

Tau:
Wins: 8 Losses: 1 Ties: 0
Old 07 May 2006, 14:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Broadsides are a must? Well in my opinion they'd only go in my army with an Advanced Stabilisation System now to suit the theme of the army (although I agree with you whole heartedly on their prescence), one of the great things about them is simply the fear factor they bring about!

If you have that ASS of course it means you can't take other protective measures over your broasides, most namely shield drones (who would get 2+ saves of course!) without speding vast amount of points to make each Broadside a team leader. This is an option if you have the points, but depending on the map and the terrain etc. sheer range can be your friend! The 72" Railgun should be able to reach to all corners of the board, and the majority of tanks won't be able to touch you from the first turn too if your broadsides are deployed at the back of the board. of course now with the ASS we can hide the Broadisdes on deployment so that even if we do get the first turn we can just move them out to fire, and be protected if we don't get the first turn!

Old 07 May 2006, 14:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Exactly what I meant!

The Broadside is a must because:

1: The range
2: Its ability to move AND still fire its railguns ;D
3: Well, 2 wounds, 2+ armor save, and a possible 4+ Invul. save. He's an unstoppable force.

There's more, but they are mostly mine. ;D

Tau:
Old 07 May 2006, 14:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben
Exactly what I meant!

The Broadside is a must because:

1: The range
2: Its ability to move AND still fire its railguns ;D
3: Well, 2 wounds, 2+ armor save, and a possible 4+ Invul. save. He's an unstoppable force.

There's more, but they are mostly mine. ;D
So do you run monat Broadside team leaders with shield drones to get that 4+ invulnerable? It seems like a good setup to me, although cost is a bit of a stopping factor I guess.

Old 07 May 2006, 14:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

No, I give my two Broadsides the shield generator and a missile pod and of course the railguns.

Plus the Advanced Stabilization Systems.

No, it costs...hm, I think 100 or so points. Not really that much if you think about it. A Shas'o Commander can easily get up into the 200s.

Tau:
Old 07 May 2006, 14:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben
No, it costs...hm, I think 100 or so points. Not really that much if you think about it. A Shas'o Commander can easily get up into the 200s.
O_O

Are you serious? I find it hard to get my Shas'O past 130-150.

:

Anyways, about the stealth list... it's a nifty idea, but it really just seems like a variant of mech to me.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
Closed Thread