Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Jetpack Rules Clarification [help wanted]
Closed Thread
Old 07 May 2006, 05:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Jetpack Rules Clarification [help wanted]

I was playing a game the yesterday when a conflict with the Jetpack rules came up between my opponent and myself.
----
Jump-pack infantry movement phase: 12" May ignore difficult terrain by flying over it. When landing into difficult terrain they must make a dangerous terrain test.

Jump-pack infantry assault phase: Slowed down by difficult terrain as they don't use their packs and proceed on foot.

Jump-pack morale: Failed morales fallback 3D6" ignoring difficult terrain and takes dangerous terrain if ending movement in terrain.
----
Rulebook says the difference between Jetpacks and Jumppacks are:
Jetpacks move 6" instead of 12".
Jetpacks may move 6" in assault phase whether or not they assault.
When jetpack equipped infantry shoots rapidfire weapons, they may fire them as if they never moved whether or not they did.
[hr]
The problem we came across was the difficult terrain and dangerous terrain tests.
Would the following points be correct?

-Crisis suits would be able to enter difficult terrain (movement phase) then leave difficult terrain (Assault Phase) without a taking difficult and dangerous terrain tests. A crisis suit ending it's movement phase inside Difficult terrain does not take a dangerous terrain test.

-When a crisis suit ends it's Assault phase inside Difficult terrain, it must take a dangerous terrain test.

Just thought of this: Can I legally opt not to use my jetpacks and say that I'm walking into the terrain? I imagine I might want to do that if I wish to move into the terrain and not come back out in the assault phase so I wouldn't need to take a dangerous terrain test. I don't think it's legal since I don't see it in the book, but then someone else could've seen it.

(Under 9yrs requires accompanying parental or adult guardian)
Old 07 May 2006, 05:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Jetpack Rules Clarification [help wanted]

Way I see it, you either fly 6" over the terrain safely in movement phase, or walk through it if its gonna be too thick and risky (if you want) as normal infantry. Assault phase though is 100% jetpack, with the usual risks.

you can ignore the dangerous terrain test in the movement phase, but then you're walking through it with the usual distance rolls.

Yes, this DOES mean they're quite maneuverable. Its essentially jump infantry, they just use it for Jump-Shoot-Jump maneuvers instead of just having large thrusters whose only real use is propelling you directly into melee.

Because tau with regular jump packs would make very little sense. Jetpacks are a far more sensible use.
Old 07 May 2006, 05:54   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yah that was exactly the way I did it up until yesterday. "Walk-shoot-jet"
But then when we had to read the book for clarification, the few points that caught my eye was:
Jump-pack infantry dont take difficult terrain tests.
and
The difference between Jet and Jump is 6" as opposed to 12".
No words stating difficult terrain differences.

So now I'm imagining the suit doing
"JetToHoverOverTerrain-shoot-JetAwayToSafety"
or
"JetToHoverOverTerrain-shoot-SetDownOntoTerrain" -Dangerous Test upon landing into terrain.

Old 07 May 2006, 05:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

if I read correctly the assault-phase move is 100% jetpack. no walking.
Old 07 May 2006, 06:03   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
if I read correctly the assault-phase move is 100% jetpack. no walking.
yeh the assault phase is jetpack. The Movement phase however, I used to think it was walking in the movement phase, thus a difficult terrain test is needed. But reading the book that compares jet to jump, I'm thinking that movement phase uses the Jetpack too, which also allows you to move freely into terrain without difficult tests.
That would be awesome, unless if someone says you gotta take dangerous terrain tests in the movement phase...

Old 07 May 2006, 06:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

As I see it. In the movement phase, jet packs can either walk like infantry, or use jet packs. In assault phase, its all jet pack, and you have to take a "Dangerous" Terrain test anytime your entering DT (when using the jet pack).
Old 07 May 2006, 06:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Earlydawn

We, too, play with the ability to walk or jump for movement. The Assault phase is defenitely a jet-or-nothing, though.
Old 07 May 2006, 07:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
As I see it. In the movement phase, jet packs can either walk like infantry, or use jet packs. In assault phase, its all jet pack, and you have to take a "Dangerous" Terrain test anytime your entering DT (when using the jet pack).
Finishing your move in. not going through. Though I'm sure some people would LOVE to get us to believe that.....
Old 07 May 2006, 07:44   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Hm...

If you fly into the terrain, you have to make a dangerous terrain test. If you fail, bye-bye Assault marines, and a wound for your crisis suits.

Fro crisis suits, the 6" assault phase movement is a jet move. That's right, no walking.

So usually it is better to walk into terrain for the initial 6" move. But when you want to use the assault 6" move into terrain, hope that the dice gods are giving you their blessings. But somehow IO am abit gung-ho for my crisis suits. I fly them into the terrain (if I have to) to enable them to fire their weapons and fly out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 07 May 2006, 07:49   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

AH i see it now.. I missed a line in the rulebook.
Jumppacks in Movement phase move 12" instead of 6" like normal infantry. "This is optional as they can move like normal infantry if they wish."

There we go..
So we can move the 6" like normal infantry, taking a nice and safe difficult terrain test.
OR
if we want to, we can choose to use our packs in our movement phase to jump 6" completely over terrain without difficult terrain.
And if we land in it, we take the Dangerous Terrain Test.

Friday's game my opponent wanted me to take dangerous terrain test in my movement phase, and said that I don't take difficult terrain tests as I always use my pack. I argued that I don't use the jetpack during movement and I'm walking, and I take my usual difficult terrain tests. Neither of us was on the ball..But at least what I was doing was legal..

The Assault move had always been Jetpacks, thats unmistakable. It was the movement phase that conflicted us.

Closed Thread