Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Best Tau build?
Closed Thread
Old 07 May 2006, 01:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Best Tau build?

Ok, I know there isn't any one build for tau that is more effective than anything else in all given situations, but I was wondering whether hybrid, mech or gunline outpreformed the others in a competetive setting? I'm leaning towards a mech force right now (its in the army list forums), but I don't know much about any of the builds, and was hoping you guys could help me out.
Old 07 May 2006, 01:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Best Tau build?

Hybrid is probably the most competitive all around but mech does very well too. Hybrid simply brings the best of both worlds, both a large static gunline for sheer firepower and the highly mobile elements to allow more complex tactics, taking objectives and table quarters etc.

Old 07 May 2006, 04:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Considering that most or all missions in tournaments are based off of Victory Points, I would say a static is the best. I say this because Devilfish and I'm pretty Drones are too, non-scoring units. A normal 1850 Hybrid will lose from 85-170 points from this, and a mech army will lose 170-340! Some say static can't handle take and hold type missions, but this is in no way true. All you neeed to do is simply leapfrog your firewarriors to the objective and sweep aroudn with battlesuits. Thats money!
;D
Old 07 May 2006, 04:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I'd say Mech is king. With the advent of the Warfish, you are getting 7 BS 4 Str 5 Ap 5 shots for a mere 120 points. Scoring or not, that is a deal when on a skimmer tank chassis.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 07 May 2006, 06:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a warfish? *edit* Ok I just realized that the SMS replaces the gun drones, not the burst cannon, so I see what the warfish is now.

And thanks for the advice everyone! Each build getting 1 vote out of 3 posts, why am I not surpised? :P
Old 07 May 2006, 07:30   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I would go with hybrid, but leaning more towards Mech. So my gamestyle is what you call fast hybrid. Tghe fast nes are going to go and compromise enemy lines from behind and the fire warriors are going to be somewhat snipers from my army. :P

Yeah, a warfish is really cool. I plan to have at least 1 of them in my army. Couple that with some targetting array and decoy launcher it is really nice. >

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 07 May 2006, 07:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That's a devilfish with SMS and flechette (and of course multi, decoy and array) options right?
Old 07 May 2006, 15:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I say hybrid, you get the speed and power of mech and the scoring units and mass fire power of static that together can leave any army in a disarray.
Old 07 May 2006, 15:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Devilfish Naming Scheme

Devilfish Chassis (Bare Bones) + Decoy Launchers (Transport) + Targetting Array and Multitracker (Pixie Fish) + SMS (Warfish) + any more upgrades makes you a "Super Warfish".

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 07 May 2006, 22:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I use a hybrid army because I can almost use it as two seperate armies with a few units that act as floaters between the two. I go heavily toward teh mech side though, the only static units I use are a monat broadside, a static fire warrior unit and kroot. The rest is pretty much mech.