Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Empire population size
Closed Thread
Old 06 May 2006, 22:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Tau Empire population size

Does anyone actually have any idea exactly how many individuals there are within the Tau Empire? What about numbers of Vespid, Gue'la and other races?

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Old 06 May 2006, 22:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Tau Empire population size

A lot. There are probably millions, possibly billions of Tau. The Gue'la are more of a rarity among Tau armies as they are usually outcasts or rogues of the Imperium. Vespids are relatively new, so I have no idea and Kroot, well, there are a lot of them....

Tau:
Wins: 8 Losses: 1 Ties: 0
Old 06 May 2006, 22:24   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

I think its something like 1-2 billion for a first phase colony? Or something. I don't have my codex on hand, so I can't really answer the question.
Old 06 May 2006, 22:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

What about a world like Sa'cea? It is said to be the Tau's nearest equivalent to a Hive World.

Old 06 May 2006, 22:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Then that alone might hold about a million or more.

Tau:
Wins: 8 Losses: 1 Ties: 0
Old 06 May 2006, 22:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Tau worlds are shockingly low in population density compared to imperial hive worlds. Of course, everyone can enjoy more resources that way...

There are some odd billions of Tau. I'd say a trillion is far too high, but other than that...
Old 06 May 2006, 22:33   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Okay, the old codex says that a first phase colony (sa'cea, vior'la, t'au) contains 100,000+ tau. And second phase colonies (vash'ya, bork'an) have 1-10,000.

I think there's something wrong with those numbers though... someone with the new codex will have to report in.

I'd up those numbers to 1million+ for first phase and 10-100,000+ (at least) for second phase.
Old 06 May 2006, 22:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

They seem to have lower population densities than hiveworlds, so certainly NOT billions per continent...

A few millions is probably about right for the largest worlds... With a somewhat rapid birth-rate but a high level of colonisation.

There IS a lot of automation and high tech, so the birth rates are probably far, FAR lower than the imperium. You don't NEED 10 kids if you're not sending 5 of them to die facing "xenos" while hoping the others don't die of other causes (like witch hunts, accidents, marines not watching where they're stepping, disease, etc)...

The speed at which they've advanced means they most likely skipped through the development phases such as our industrial age, and various baby-booms where everyone's huge families suddenly stop dying before they breed. No "have 12 kids and hope they all live but all of a sudden there's these 'doctors' that make them not-die so you end up with 11 reaching adulthood" for a few generations.

edit: This would actually be a very nice thing to get some official fluff on. Are most colonists teams of hopeful volunteers of various castes looking for their place in the empire? One could easily imagine this to be what some Fio who underwent Ta'lissera could be hoping for: to lay down the foundations to an entire planet!

Are they instead selected for particular abilities (perhaps including a good potential for adaptation) by the ethereals so as to get the best breeding possible to start the planet?

The entire coalition fleet is obviously quite an endeavor... would be interesting to see how they do it, as opposed to the imperium's way
Old 06 May 2006, 22:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Those Codex numbers sound really, really off. They put the population of the entire Tau Empire at about one million. Even with All-father's suggestions you still only have just ten million, which seems really, really stupid. I mean come on. They'd have trouble making France surrender. ;D
Mind you, we all know how absolutely godawful GW is at the numbers game. Case in point, Armageddon: A population of countless billions, and they only raise 25 Steel Legion regiments.* :

Old 06 May 2006, 22:53   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, I didn't name all the colonies from the old codex...

First phase (1 Million+)
T'au
T'aun
Au'Taal
Vior'la
Sa'cea
N'dras
T'olku
D'yanoi
Elsy'eir
Dal'yth

Second Phase (100,000+)
Bork'an
Fal'shia
Tash'var
Vash'ya
Kel'shan

Note: Those are old codex septs, and I may have gotten the placement wrong (the map is kinda hard to read).
Closed Thread