Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

crisis over crisis suits - advice needed
Closed Thread
Old 24 Apr 2006, 08:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default crisis over crisis suits - advice needed

okay, back when i was just getting started i didn't fully grasp the rules and thought the multi-tracker let you shoot off ALL your wads, not just two. so now i know better, but before that happened i built 2 suits with burst cannon x1,
plasma rifle x1, amd missile pod x1 and hw multi-tracker.
my question is - are these suits worth fielding? if so, should I put 'em together or split 'em up?

also what do you guys think are the best uses for:
twin linked fusion blasters and plasma rifle
twin linked plasma rifles and fusion blaster x2
twin linked missile pods and fusion blaster
missile pod, flamer and shield gen.
plasma rifle, flamer and shield gen.

that is if you woiuld use them at all,
what purpose would they serve-
how would you deploy them-
would you field alone or in teams-
which would you put in teams-
which would be HQ or Elites?

i tend to have BAAAAD luck with suits so any helpful advice would be appreciated.

thanx in advance!
Old 24 Apr 2006, 09:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: crisis over crisis suits - advice needed

I wouldn't twinlink anything on a Shas'O or Shas'El...

What's been working for me is to stick to one rangeband and/or specific task.

Shas'El with CIB+Plasma+Targetting Array + HWmultitracker: Working out great for "harrassing" heavy infantry around 12 inches.

Flamers I simply don't trust.

Twin fusion + plasma... maybe for a deepstriking helios squad, but you'll want a couple of drones to take the hits they're sure to recieve. If you can deepstrike them right though, they could pop a tank right then and there. A few more infantry units and you've gone and made your points back.

TL plasma and 2 fusion? you can't do that.

TL missile and fusion? I'd go the other way around actually; since you get 2 missiles. I'm actually trying this out for deepstriking (not twinlinked though on the fusion but with T.array and multitracker) since except for landraiders and monoliths, side/rear armor's quite vulnerable to missiles. If he tries to move that russ tank towards some infantry to protect it, you don't have to risk following and can just blast away some more with the missiles.

Missile pod and flamer? one's 36" and the other's... very, very much NOT... I really don't think that would work too well.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 10:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

to clarify that is 2 suits with 1 plasma and twinlinked fusion, not 1 suit with 2 of each gun. sorry about that.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 11:00   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I agree with nova that you shouldn't ever use that combination on a shas'el or shas'o. They can still be worth fielding though, depending on the number of points in the army and who the opponent is. In a way they are a good combination because you have a burst cannon (18"), a plasma (24"), and a missile pod (36"), so you have a variety of ranges. Personnaly I wouldn't use them in most types of battles, but if you really want to, DON'T SPLIT THEM UP.

The TL fusion and plasma seems like something you would use against enemy vehicles, with the plasma getting rid of any infantry in the way. For a better anti-tank Crisis, I'd put a missile pod instead of the plasma, but that's your decision. I like the TL plasmas, but I don't see the point of having a fusion as well. You should replace it with a support system of some sort, but otherwise, I guess you could use it as covering fire against infantry and heavy infantry for assult troops like a kroot carnivore squad. I wouldn't use two though. I'd never use TL missile pods, so its uses are beyond me. Missile pod and flamer isn't a good combination because of the difference in range, so I'd advise against using it. I tried using plasma with flamer, but the I could get out of it was plasma to hit anything in the distance, then close in and use the flamer to eliminate any cover saves. In other words, unless there's plenty of terrain, I wouldn't use it too often. NEVER use TL flamer. It's terrible.

I wouldn't put any of those as a HQ choice, because I personally like Cyclic Ion Blstr with plasma and shield gen, and I wouldn't put any of them together in the same unit.

This is the best I can give you, so I hope it helps.

PS This is my first entry in the forums, so I also hope it was alright... ??? :-*
Old 24 Apr 2006, 11:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

If i had those 2 suits as you do i would field them as a bodguard for your shas'el. Why?

-Its cheaper than using them as commanders
-They turn your HQ choice into a scoring unit
-They provide complete 6 wound protection for your character, after which he becomes an IC again.

i'd go for:

2XV8 Shas'vre bodyguard, with burst cannons, missile pods, plasma rifles, hard-wired multi tracker & hard-wired drone controller with 1 shield drone
=190 points
Old 24 Apr 2006, 11:46   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

To collflame616: You really don't need three weapons, especially if they're bodyguards. Use targetting arrays instead. I like the idea of using them as bodyguards though.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 14:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Biggdawggnt,

I'll try to pull them apart to make it clear and then give some comments; please correct me if I'm incorrect on your suit setups:

Quote:
2 suits with burst cannon x1,
plasma rifle x1, amd missile pod x1 and hw multi-tracker.
XV8 x 2
-Burst Cannon
-Plasma Rifle
-Missile Pod
HW multi-tracker

These would basically be Commanders as they're the only ones who generally would make the most use of having a tri-weapon setup; allowing only 2 guns to fire, but being able to choose which two are better for their needs. You would most certainly want to split them up, and their use is basically "swiss army knife." They don't do anything particularly well, but they can "do most of it" to help out your other units.

Personally I'd get an exacto and attempt to cut off a weapon or two, to better configure them. I'd remove the burstcannon or plasma rifle, in this case, depending on what you use your suits for.

Quote:
also what do you guys think are the best uses for:
twin linked fusion blasters and plasma rifle
twin linked plasma rifles and fusion blaster x2
twin linked missile pods and fusion blaster
missile pod, flamer and shield gen.
plasma rifle, flamer and shield gen.
Let's see if I can piece this up. Are you listing 6 individual battle suits here? If so, with the following configurations?

XV8
-Twin-linked Fusion Blaster
-Plasma Rifle

May only fire one weapon per phase without the hardwired multi-tracker.

XV8 x 2
-Twin-linked Plasma Rifle
-Fusion Blaster

Two suits again, with only one gun to fire per phase without a multi-tracker.

XV8
-Twin-linked Missile Pods
-Fusion Blaster

One weapon per phase again.

XV8
-Missile Pod
-Flamer
Shield Generator

Only can fire one weapon per phase.

XV8
-Plasma Rifle
-Flamer
Shield Generator

Again, one weapon per phase due to no multi-tracker.

---- If those guesses are correct, then I highly, highly recommend you get an exacto knife and carefully perform some surgery on some of these suits to help remove things that are conflicting or preventing you from using your suits to full potential.

The problem is, a lot of these setups are costing more than the base cost of the suit, in upgrades that are not going to be used simply because they either will not have range to use one of their guns, while using another, or literally cannot fire two weapons due to lack of a multi-tracker.

Example of Re-Forming your Suits:

Take for example this suit that you have:

XV8
-Twin-linked Missile Pods
-Fusion Blaster

Now take another suit like this one:

XV8
-Plasma Rifle
-Flamer
Shield Generator

If you cut the fusion blaster and the flamer off, and swap them (ie: giving the flamer to the missile pod suit, and giving the fusion to the plasma suit) then you'll have more effective suits for the weapon combinations. And you can pretend the shield generator is actually a mulit-tracker or cut it off and you're good to go.

Then simply apply the same logic to the other suits, to help re-equip yourself and make your life a lot easier.

Good luck!

Cheers!
Old 25 Apr 2006, 09:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thanx for the input guys, again to clarify all suits are already built and likely to stay thay way. I'm one of those guys who plays for the game and not the modelling as my skills at gluing and painting are meager at best. I tried to cut off the weapons as suggested months ago and ended up with 2 wrecked suits and 3 busted plasma rifles for my trouble. I just ain't that cool. Also, let's just assume all suits are equipped with hard-wired multi-trackers. Sorry, I thought that was a given. My bad. so please continue to advise me using this new information.

thanx, muchly!
Old 25 Apr 2006, 13:07   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I don't usually put three weapons on a suit.

On twinlinking missile pods, yes I have done that alot. Twin linked missile pods with target locks allows me to deep strike a team of XV8's behind another players front lines. That usually exposes a very nice Armor 10 in the rear. Punching through a 10 is much better with a 12. Again my rolling isn't much better than most and taking that 50/50 chance on a hit, doesn't really sit well with me. The markerlights usually go to the Anti Armor XV8's or low save targets, marines or terminators.

I have been having alot of problems with Falcons and Wave Serpents that are maxed out with upgrades: mainly spirit stones and holofields. Add to that the weapon reduction to 8 and a Front armor of 12 and the odds get tipped heavily into the Eldar players favor. However: shoot him in the behind and he doesn't get all of those spiffy rules. With the new rules for the pathfinder and their homing beacon, it helps getting them on the table where you want them.