Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Questions concerning Tau Kill-teams
Closed Thread
Old 21 Apr 2006, 17:50   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Questions concerning Tau Kill-teams

A few questions conserning tau kill teams:

One problem with using Stealthsuits in Kill-teams is the Burstcannon with assault3. Using a Fusionblaster instead would make a stealthsuit perfectly legal right? Couldnt find any article about this new option (I've only got the old codex, and only found railgun article on GW homepage), so if someone could tell me the upgrade cost and restrictions I would be very grateful.

When it comes to Kroot's, does Carnivores and hounds count as two entries (breaking a mutable law) or do they count as one entry since they form a squad together?

Are there any option for firewarriorsquads to take railguns, or is that option limited to pathfinders?

I've read many posts on the forum without finding answers to those questions, but I hope someone can help, I'll really appreciate it.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 17:56   #2 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Re: Questions conserning Tau Kill-teams

Welcome to the forums, a wonderful place for noobs and veterans alike..

taking Stealth Suits with fusion blasters breaks the strength limit. Fire Warriors cannot take rail rifles (theyre not railguns theyre rail rifles) and they are restricted to pathfinders.

i would assume that carnivores and hounds count as one unit but then you never know, GW is very wierd like that.

Old 21 Apr 2006, 18:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

All right, Tau kill team questions! I love those!

The fusion gun does indeed break the mutable law about strength. No matter which way you arm it, the stealth suit always breaks a mutable law when it hits the table in kill team. It can't help it.

The various types of kroot are now in a single squad entry in the codex, so fielding both carnivores and hounds together will not break a mutable law.

I am really passionate about tau in kill team, so I could ramble on for hours about it. So I did, on the Advanced Tau Tactica site. If you really want a lot of information on tau kill teams, try [edited due to advertising - if you want the URL, pm Farseer Tyross] and do a search there. The final article might be posted any day now.

Edit:: all right. Apparently I can link directly to the thread , instead of sending you to the site. I'd just reprint the article here, except that I made it as content for the other site, and I think that'd be non-kosher too. I hope it is OK to do this: http://www.advancedtautactica.com/vi...ight=kill+team
Old 21 Apr 2006, 23:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I have the best idea for a Tau kill team ever: 10 Vespids

Breaks one mutable law (ditching the Strain Leader), but it will kill three Marines per turn... which it just as big as a brute squad is!

They move 12", can fleet, and generally do a good job of flying around, stealthing, and blasting squads away in one turn if neccessary.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 22 Apr 2006, 02:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Questions concerning Tau Kill-teams

Wow, and here i was trying to come up with a kill team NOT composed of just pathfinders and kroot, and the solution was sitting right there.

Truth be told I'd rather break a mutable law and field some stealthsuits though--especially since for +10pts per suit, you're looking at a nigh unstoppable killteam. Just, your opponent might simply refuse to play after you win too many times, which would be bad.

Stealthsuits seem like the perfect (read: the only) choice for a tau KT...it's too bad that they break that mutable law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 22 Apr 2006, 14:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver
A few questions conserning tau kill teams:

One problem with using Stealthsuits in Kill-teams is the Burstcannon with assault3. Using a Fusionblaster instead would make a stealthsuit perfectly legal right? Couldnt find any article about this new option (I've only got the old codex, and only found railgun article on GW homepage), so if someone could tell me the upgrade cost and restrictions I would be very grateful.

When it comes to Kroot's, does Carnivores and hounds count as two entries (breaking a mutable law) or do they count as one entry since they form a squad together?

Are there any option for firewarriorsquads to take railguns, or is that option limited to pathfinders?

I've read many posts on the forum without finding answers to those questions, but I hope someone can help, I'll really appreciate it.
Get the codex, and read it. Rail Rifles are not available to Fire Warrior squads. A fusion blaster costs as much as a target lock or multi-tracker upgrade on a crisis suit, under the Tau Empires codex. Due to our rules here, we can't reveal much more aside from that (not allowed to post point costs etc from the codex, and you shouldn't be asking for them either - see forum rules).

As for the Kill Team questions- they appear to be answered correctly above. Stealthsuits indeed do seem to break immutable laws no matter what, unfortunately.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 00:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

They also aren't the invincible kill teams you think them to be. Whenever they use their jetpacks they give a klaxon to the enemy, and their stealth field is nigh useless due to the peciularities of the spotting rules for kill team. They also simply lack the bodies to succeed at taking wounds or assaulting, and the squads total firepower is actually lacking compared to other choices.

The most effective kill team is actually the vespid squad described above. You just can't do better than that. A note: They give a klaxon when they move as jump infantry, but you can still use fleet even if you don't jump, and not give the klaxon. Yay!
Old 23 Apr 2006, 04:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

stealth suits are very bad in kill team. You break a mutable per stealth suit! This will kill the team. Vespids are the new best kill team for us. Just always walk with them, and fleet if you need to move somehwere. Pathfinders also break the mutable laws. Too many heavy wepons
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 06:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

According to an FAQ markerlights don't count as heavies for those purposes; probably because they don't actually do any damage (well, unless you have seekers of course, but you won't in killteam).

A sniper drone team on the other hand, would probably mean you're breaking it 2~3 times
Old 24 Apr 2006, 09:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I prefer kill team composed from gun drones, as they are fast, numerous, and are fine in CC (With their iniciative, frag granades and fearless).

Plus it seems right that the tau use AI drones for potentialy suicide missions like kill teams, they are more expendable than living tau.
Closed Thread