Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Should I use 5 Piranhas?
Closed Thread
Old 15 Apr 2006, 21:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Should I use 5 Piranhas?

I was thinkin about fielding a squad of 5 pirahna....thoughts, suggestions, comments anyone?
i was figuring some hordy control with some fun...not to mention a "free" 10 drone squad if needed
Old 15 Apr 2006, 22:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Should i???

300 pts though....

And i stun one, the whole thing isn't moving (or else that one gets sacraficed so the others can move...)

Plus its open topped. very vunerable. Few autocannon shots, tank hunting frag(i glance, i roll twice on the table) or krak missiles will make a mockery of it. Plus it'll be very, very difficult to hide.

stick with 2 squads of 2 and one of 1 if you insist on using it.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 15 Apr 2006, 23:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

or go with the five, specialize them to either hunt troops or hunt tanks, but not both. then except the fact that one or two will fall as you rush forward and think of them more as ablative wounds. all it takes is one to kill your opponents tanks. if you get two or three there, well thats just bonus. plus you'll have that ten man drone team running around your opponents side of the table causing chaos. if you can use terrain effectively, and are smart about how you use them then there is no reason that they can't pay their points back to you.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 23:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Chugmuffin

Well, if you detach the gun drones into a ten-strong squad, thats 120pts. The initila squad, with burst cannons is 300 pts. 300-120=180. 180 is the xact price of 6 stealth suits, which equal 6 burst cannons. Your piranahs only have 5, which means only 15 shots. However, if you keep them out of range/LOS of your opponents anti-tank, their much bbetter at surviving. So, in short, you should.
- Wargamer...
Old 15 Apr 2006, 23:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Its a bit extreme, but It sould be fun for 1 or 2 games. But you'll have to send them against there prefered targets, i.e. light infintry, and try to avoid any type of heavy weapons. Because thier open topped, your opponint only needs a 4+ on the glancing table to blow it out of the sky.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 00:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howloutloud
or go with the five, specialize them to either hunt troops or hunt tanks, but not both. then except the fact that one or two will fall as you rush forward and think of them more as ablative wounds. all it takes is one to kill your opponents tanks. if you get two or three there, well thats just bonus. plus you'll have that ten man drone team running around your opponents side of the table causing chaos. if you can use terrain effectively, and are smart about how you use them then there is no reason that they can't pay their points back to you.
If you are saying that you are rushing forward directly in front of the enemy, that would be quite stupid. However, they are not meant for direct assault. They should be going on the flank. If you use them that way, then I do not see a reason not to field a squad of 5.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 03:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

yea i highly doubt using them in a tourny or the such....unless they work out REALLY good
just wanted sutin fun fast an for horde "control"...
Old 16 Apr 2006, 15:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

hey Impulse, not to be negative but did you see where I said "if you can use terrain effectively"

I'm counting on the fact that even using terrain wisely you'll still lose some of them, if for no other reason than your opponent can't afford you running around with five of them tearing up his army. but I also consider that a positive as well, thats several guns no longer aimed at the rest of your army, and only so many of them are going to be able to do anything to the unit. with the exception of tau, there is no army whose basic troopers with their basic weapons have a chance to scratch a piranha. and even the taus basic trooper will find it hard to scratch it. by taking five of them, you're forcing your opponent to spin and fire with as many special weapons as possible at them. and if those weapons happen to be in a basic troop choice, then thats several guns that can't aim at you.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 15:38   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

m...dude. I think a mediem sized squad of 3 is better than the full squad of 5 pirahnas. It have more firepower than one and more maneuverbility than a squad of 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 20:21   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Should I use 5 Piranhas?

imo, 5 would only be worth it if you had 100% mech tau on the field...and even then, stealth suits would probably be a better choice

maybe fielding 2 or 3 depending on the # of points would be better, maybe even stretching to 4
Closed Thread