Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Study of the Firewarrior, [updated]
Old 14 Apr 2006, 20:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Study of the Firewarrior, [updated]

Firewarriors:
The firewarrior, main troop of any tau army, used in the right ways can cause a ton of damage to any foe.
Pulse Rifle:
The pulse rifle is effective against all, it hits enemies at far distances, (breaking their squad numbers before they get to you).
The average squad of tau firewarriors is a number of 10. Cheap, and effective.
GEQ kills:
Hit on a d6 roll of 4+, half hit, (5)
Wound on a d6 roll of 2+, (83.3% of the shots wound, 4.165)
4.165 GEQ deaths
MEQ kills:
Hit on a d6 roll of 4+, half hit, (5)
Wound on a d6 roll of 3+, (66.6% of the shots wound, 3.28)
MEQ models save on a d6 roll of 3+, (2.15 space marines save, 1.13 space marines fail their saves)
1.13 MEQ deaths
Opposing troop movement phase, (GEQ):
Armies usually start 30-48 inches away from eachother, depending on how far, or close, you want to deploy.
We'll start and say a 15 model GEQ squad is advancing towards you, (closer each turn):
Using the GEQ kills statistics we'll assume this:
Turn One:
GEQ squad moves 6" closer to you, (they are now 24" away from you), they halt their movement phase. You shoot at the squad with a 10 man firewarrior team using the GEQ kills statistics:
4.165 GEQ models fall, (4 rounded), so there are now only 11 GEQ models left in the squad.
Turn Two:
The squad will most likely stand still and shoot, (as even GEQ aren't too good in close combat). They shoot with the squad of 11 GEQ models:
Hit on a d6 roll of 4+, half hit, (5.5, 6 rounded)
Wound on a d6 roll of 4+, half wound, (3)
Tau firewarriors save on a d6 roll of 4+, half save, (1.5, 2 rounded), 1 firewarrior falls, so there are now only 9 firewarriors left in the squad.
Your firewarriors fire with the slightly different results due to the firewarrior death, (3.70 die, 4 rounded), so there are now only 7 GEQ models left in the squad.
Turn Three:
The squad will head for cover, or keep shooting, (I shall do a scenario for both):
Keep Shooting:
They fire with slightly different results, ( still 1 firewarrior dies), so there are now 8 firewarriors left in the squad.
Tau shoot, 3.292 firewarriors wound, (3.292 GEQ fall, 3 rounded), there are now 4 models left in the squad.
Head for Cover:
With any luck, your GEQ models will find a bit of cover, (what kind is still being determined):
Bushes, high grass, fencing, etc: Tau shoot, (4.5 shots hit, half), 3.70 shots wounds, (4 rounded), 3.08 GEQ models fail cover saves, there are now 4 GEQ models left in the squad, they will obviously need to take morale check, so they will most likely fail, (-2 leadership).
Crates, jungles, hill cover, woods, etc: Tau shoot, (4.5 shots hit, half), 3.70 shots wound, (4 rounded), 2.46 GEQ models fail their cover saves, (2 rounded), there are now 6 GEQ models left in the squad.
Wrecks, vehicles, trenches, craters, walls, etc: Tau shoot, (4.5 shots hit, half), 3.70 shots wound, (four rounded), 2 models fail their cover saves, there are now 6 GEQ models left in the squad, (technically the same as the one above, in a real match this one is better).
Bunkers, Fortified Buildings: Tau shoot, (4.5 shots hit, half), 3.70 shots wound, (four rounded), 1.376 GEQ models fail their saves, (1 rounded), there are now 7 GEQ models left in the squad.

Opposing troop movement phase, (MEQ):
We'll start and say a 6 model MEQ squad is advancing towards you, (closer each turn):
Using the MEQ statistics we'll assume this:
Turn One:
MEQ squad moves 6" closer to you, (they are now 24" away from you), they halt their movement phase. You shoot at the squad with a 10 man firewarrior team using the MEQ statistics:
Hit on a d6 roll of 4+, half hit, (5.5, 6 rounded)
Wound on a d6 roll of 3+, 66.6% of the shots wound, (3.936, 4 rounded)
MEQ models save on a d6 roll of 3+, 66.6% of the shots wound, (1.376 MEQ models fail their saves, 1 rounded), 1 MEQ model falls.
Turn Two: They move 6" closer to you, (they are now 18" away from you), they halt their movement phase. You shoot at the squad.
1 falls again, (there are now only 4 MEQ models in the squad)
Turn Three: They move 6" closer, (they are now 12" away from you), and can rapid fire.
4 MEQ models shooting with rapid fire is 8 shots.
Hit on a d6 roll of 3+, (66.6% of the shots hit), 5.248 shots hit, (5 rounded)
Wound on a d6 roll of 3+, (66.6% of the shots hit), 3.28 shots wound, (3 rounded)
The firewarriors save on a d6 roll of 4+, (1/2, half), 1.5 firewarriors fall, (2 rounded), there are now 8 firewarriors left in the squad
Firewarriors rapid fire on the MEQ models, 8 firewarriors equals 16 shots, 8 shots hit, 2.672 shots wound, (3 rounded), MEQ models save 1.76 shots, (wto rounded, one dies), and the MEQ models will most likely need to take a morale test, (possibly failing), either way, 8:3 shows the firewarriors have won this.
Markerlights: A gift given to firewarrior shas'ui, this is an extremely helpful device, (it's effects can be seen on page 29 of the tau empire codex), which makes it easier to target enemy troops. There are two options, you can give your sqaud a marker drone, (pretty expensive for one squad), or one markerlight, (cheap). The markerdrone might be better, (as it gives you continued use of the markerlight ability), and if given to a cheap squad is still not overly expensive.

Sample List:
Shas'ui commander w/drone controller, marker drone, and pulse rifle
10 Shas'la firewarriors w/pulse rifles
Total of 11 firewarriors-150 points

The Devilfish Squads:
These squad's move fast, and can afford to be given pulse carbines, (the vehicle speed, and mobility makes up for lower range), plus they are very effective as they will hit more, (twin-linked).
A good, cheap devilfish squad is this:
Devilfish w/ targetting array, multi-tracker, disruption pod, decoy launchers, and 2 seeker missiles- 125 points
Shas'ui w/ pulse carbine, and markerlight
10 shas'la w/ pulse carbines
Total of 11 firewarriors, (12 models counting devilfish)- 255 points

Firewarriors, Squads:
Even with amazing range, and high strength weapons, one squad of firewarriors cannot take down big strong men, (space marines). So it's going to take a lot more then a squad of 10-12 firewarriors to do any damage. The minimum in a 1500 point army is 24 firewarriors, (you should probably have about 30-36, which will average 4-6 MEQ kills a turn).
Firewarrior squads:
2x 12 firewarrior team- 240 points
Shas'ui w/markerlight, pulse rifle,
11 shas'la w/pulse rifles
Average MEQ kills per 12 man squad: 1.44, (1 rounded)
Average GEQ kills per 12 man squad: 4.938, (5 rounded)
1x12 firewarrior team- 240 points
Shas'ui w/pulse carbine, drone controller, marker drone
Shas'la w/pulse carbines
Devifish w/ targetting array, multi-tracker, decoy launchers
Pulse Rifle w/markerlight:
A great pair, they combine the range of both devices, to allow great heavy support, (pulse rifles), and markerlight tossing, (3 of the things) to your carbine squad so they hit even better, (twin-linked+enhanced targetting=enemy pain).
Pulse Carbine w/marker drone, and devilfish:
This squad can venture into cover, very close to the enemy, at the start of the game, (devilfish), where their shorter ranged weapons take effect. While the shots are shorter ranged, they are more accurate, and can cause pinning, (protecting both squads, and the devilfish). Added with the squads own markerlights, (drone), they can re-roll misses at a space marine accuracy. Pretty mean to weak armour troops, and even the space marines themselves:
GEQ kills:
10.3 shots hit, (granted one of the markerlights hit, marker drone, or shas'ui)
8.47 shots wound, 8.47 GEQ models die, add that to the 24 other firewarriors shooting and you have 18.34 GEQ deaths a turn
MEQ kills:
10.3 shots hit, (granted markerlight hits)
6.75 shots wound
2.47 MEQ models fail their saves, add that to the 24 other firewarriors shooting and you have 5.35 MEQ deaths a turn
It takes 4 turns for a 10 man squad of space marines to get across the average size board, (granted 12" deployment), subtract one turn of pulse carbine team fire, (travelling to cover, 12") to four turns of the MEQ firing deaths, and that's 1-2 squads gone in the wind.

I agree with you MechTau, that is why there is more. I had originally planned on having it all in one big post, but things got in the way, so I decided on decently sized posts over time, (this way I could work on the small mistakes). So expect more later today. NOW:

Bonding Knife:
The bonding knife is a great upgrade, as it keeps the tau in line in times of dread, stopping them from scattering, and their attention on the enemy, where they will cause the most damage. Take care to keep the leader alive, though, as when he dies the tau will not stay focused when their fellow firewarriors are shot up. Equiping the team leader with a shield drone, and drone controller can do this well, as it only costs and extra 15 points, (bringing your shas'ui to 45 points if he doesn't have a markerlight, or any other upgrades besides the bonding knife and drone). The drone will keep him alive, (with 50% more accuracy against armour piercing weapons).
EMP grenades:
While slightly expensive, these offer firewarriors vehicle destruction that their pulse weapons couldn't compete with. 12 firewarriors attaching EMP grenades:
6 hit
3 will glance, (each grenade has a 16.6% chance penetrating, 1.002 of the hits will penetrate)
0.51 of the glancing shots will destroy a vehicle, 0.51 of the penetrating shots will destroy a vehicle
There are two problems with the EMP grenades, not only do you have to assault a vehicle to use them, but you've lost a turn of firewarrior gun firing. A railgun, or missile pod would be better for vehicle destruction, so only take these in smaller games, where you cannot fit a hammerhead in, and when your opponent has a vehicle in the game.
Honour blade:
The honour blade cannot be used by firewarriors so I shall not get into it.
Hard-Wired Blacksun Filter:
This is a great upgrade combined with a markerlight.
Shas'ui w/pulse rifle, markerlight, hard-wired blacksun filter-33 points
When fighting in a night fight game, this combination helps every squad of firewarriors you own. Your shas'ui has the blacksun filter, allowing him a much longer ranged shot with his weapons. However, other firewarriors in another squad cannot fire quite as far, (they must still follow the night fighting rules), so your shas'ui can fire the markerlight at an enemy squad, (longer distance), allowing your other firewarriors to shoot their normal distance, (if it hits, 50% chance). The handy markerlight strikes again.
Hard-wired drone controller:
Upgrade of choice:
Shas'ui w/pulse rifle, bonding knife, drone controller, shield drone- 45 points
See Bonding knife for full explanation.
Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker:
While I hate to say it, this is a completely useless item for any tau infantry, (as they don't use battlesuit weaponry). It really shouldn't even be in the infantry upgrades page.
Hard-Wired Target Lock:
If you want to finish off a team of stragglers, who are getting too close for comfort, but also want to get a markerlight on a toughy further away this is it. It will allow your shas'ui to get your team prepared for another opponent, while the finish off a different one:
Shas'ui w/pulse rifle, markerlight, hard-wired target lock- 35 points
Gun Drones:
decent in large groups, but not too useful equiped to a shas'ui, 1-2 will only hit about once a turn, (even with twin-linked weapons), it would be much better to give your squad pulse carbines if you want the extra shots.
Marker Drones:
While expensive, these guys are very helpful, not only does it have an enhanced BS, but it's own squad can use it's markerlight counters.
Shas'ui w/pulse rifle, drone controller, marker drone- 50 points
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
ToastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2006, 23:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to comanchieflier
Default Re: Study of the Firewarrior

lol, your rules area bit... illegal? No rapid fire and charging... deedeedee
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezing
comanchieflier recieves a mobile phone that can only do "leet speak" messages.
comanchieflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2006, 23:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by comanchieflier
lol, your rules area bit... illegal? No rapid fire and charging... deedeedee
Darn, hoping no one would catch that, fixed.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 11:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to comanchieflier

It is a great article otherwise, I always use firewarriors (they just took out the nghtbringer yesterday, so I am in love with them)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezing
comanchieflier recieves a mobile phone that can only do "leet speak" messages.
comanchieflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2006, 11:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

Pretty nice calculations

Need to learn doing that myself some day
cyberzomby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2006, 13:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Elcampbello

Nice artical but one thing bothers me. Who takes 10 man squads? Please, point this person out to me so I can slap them.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 13:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

always take the 12 man squad. the points you spend for the last two is not that expensive that you need to miss out on them. plus thats two extra guns that can fire. and their effectiveness will go up in value if you have markerlights the numbers should go up even further.

deedeedee... mencia... priceless ;D ;D
Old 15 Apr 2006, 13:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

indeed. With markerlights, 12 shots at BS4 means 9 that hit, on average...
That's 6 wounds on guards, 4.5 on marines (only 1.5 of which will actually get through...)

So you've got a fair chance of taking two marines out, instead of just 1. That's on the round before they're even in range, too (if they start just above 30 and move 6 we can fire and they can't)...

If kroot could take advantage of this, it would be even nastier... against unarmored things (can you say "up to 23 rapid fire guys hidden 7 inches in the woods"?)

The numbers, just for fun, with a single markerlight hit if it were possible...
15.3 hits> 10 wounds on average for guards(if its the kroot guns, those shots penetrate, otherwise we're left with 6.6 wounds from armor average), 7.665 on marines (2.5 get through). Where it would really get nasty is against hordes of orks, gaunts/rippers/etc...
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2006, 16:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcampbello
Nice artical but one thing bothers me. Who takes 10 man squads? Please, point this person out to me so I can slap them.
I myself take 12 man squads, but whenever I think of firewarriors they seem to be in tens, I don't know why.

Quote:
deedeedee... mencia... priceless
Yes, very.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 18:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

[quote]I myself take 12 man squads, but whenever I think of firewarriors they seem to be in tens, I don't know why. [quote]

maybe there out taking a cigarette break when your doing rollcall?