Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sniper Drones or a Skyray?
Closed Thread
Old 14 Apr 2006, 18:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Sniper Drones or a Skyray?

I'm aware there has been something like this before. But, judging on my list right now, what would be the best thing to use? I want some anti-marine support.

HQ:
Shas'O w/ CIB, Missile Pod, Stimulants, HW Multi-Tracker, Vectors

Troops:
10 Fire Warriors w/ Shas'ui, Markerlight
10 Fire Warriors w/ Shas'ui, Devilfish w/ Decoy Launchers and maybe Fletchete Discharger
10 Kroot

Elites:
5 Stealthsuits w/ BCs
1 Crisis Suit w/ TLMP, TA
1 Crisis Suit w/ Airbursting Frag, PR, MT)

Heavy:
1 Hammerhead w/ Railgun, BC, Decoy Launchers, Multi-Tracker, Target Lock
2 Broadsides w/ A.S.S. or TA (I'll switch them between battles to see what I like best)

I have 1 Heavy slot for Sniper Drones or Skyray. I also have some Pathfinders, but I possess no extra Devilfish for them as of yet.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 14 Apr 2006, 19:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Sniper Drones or a Skyray?

If money is no object, sniper drones. let's look at what we've got to offer for that one slot:

skyray: a skimmer vehicle, 6 (8?) seeker missiles, one markerlight, 1 SMS, 4 S*AP* shots a turn. Marines still get their saves, and the seekers are one-shot only. Upside is no line of sight.

sniper drones: 3 four-man (drone) units, 3 markerlights, 9 S*AP* shots (ignores marine armor!) a turn, potentially pinning.

obviously, if you could field three full units of sniper drones, you'd want it over the skyray. That is, if you have no vehicle killers; skyrays can also kill some rhinos if that's a big problem.

[size=8pt]Removed stats. Posting them is against our forum rules..- mace[/size]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 14 Apr 2006, 19:36   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Location: Bremerton, Washington (United States) OR Prince George, British Columbia (Canada)
Send a message via MSN to ChadTheBad

Comparing both units, via a same point basis, for 160 points you get one Sky Ray with six Seeker Missiles, two Networked Markerlights, a Target Lock, a Smart Missile System, a Targeting Array, a Disruption Pod and Decoy Launchers. Please note that it may MOVE and SHOOT, plus each weapon my target independently like the Sniper Drone team. In addition, the Smart Missile System doesn't need line of sight.

As for the Sniper Drone team you get two squads for the points. Meaning two Networked Markerlights, six Railrifles with Target Lock and the Stealth Field Generator. You can only MOVE (one twelve inch shot is negligible) or SHOOT, one casualty equals a Morale Test, the Sniper Drones have a lower Ballistic Skill and if the Spotter is killed the squad is entirely removed with him.

Personally that's too many negatives for me to take the Sniper Drones, but I may be biased because if it can't move and shoot I generally look at something else to fill the position.
Old 14 Apr 2006, 20:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Marines still get their saves, and the seekers are one-shot only. Upside is no line of sight.
seekers are AP 3. also they instant kill and it two marker lights
Old 14 Apr 2006, 20:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think I might just use the Skyray, although I'd need to buy a Devilfish for my Pathfinders. I'm angry that they didn't make the Fish optional.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 14 Apr 2006, 22:12   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Location: Bremerton, Washington (United States) OR Prince George, British Columbia (Canada)
Send a message via MSN to ChadTheBad

I completely agree on the Devilfish optional statement. I personally don't field them because it too many points for too few models and then add the bloody transport. Now if the transport magically became optional or at least the squad size maximum hit a ten or twelve, I'd guarantee they'd be bought and fielded. Unfortunately, right now they're too expensive point wise and not a big enough to survive any form of shooting. Personal opinion of course.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 03:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Im gonna use

Skyray

3x Sniper drone teams

Hammerhead
or
2-3 Broadsides

still gonna try to decide if i want a hammerhead or 2-3 bs
i mean this is just my opinion
BOTH SNIPERS AN SKYRAY ARE EXCELLENT
Old 15 Apr 2006, 07:09   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadTheBad
...the Sniper Drones have a lower Ballistic Skill...
To fire a seeker missile at all, you need to hit with a markerlight at BS 4, and then need to make another roll to hit at BS 5. Sniper drones can always fire, assuming that there's a target in range and LOS. If the markerlight hits, that's just a bonus. I won't bore you with the math, but if the necessity for a markerlight hit is included, a rail rifle is more likely to score a hit than a seeker missile.

The difference between the Skyray and the Sniper Drone team is like the difference between the Hammerhead and Broadsides. The tank's more mobile & more difficult to kill, but has fewer shots per turn at lower accuracy.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 09:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

2 sniper drone teams mean 6 independantly targetted rail-rifle shots, and 2 networked markerlight shots, which, unless you buy a targetting array for your skyray, are more likely to hit. The whole thing is split in 2 units, and they have stealth-fields. Anything they're in range of (the BEST roll for 2d6 x3 is the range limit of the rifles and markerlight) is automatically in theirs, unless they're being spotted by a markerlight I guess (and then the spotter's in their range too!)...

But are you really gonna be able to survive 36 inches from your targets for the 4~5 turns you'd need to fire all those missiles if only the skyray's firing the markerlights?

on average, 66% of the shots, if you have an array, will hit, allowing you to fire a missile (which then has an 83% chance of hitting).

If you have a hammerhead, and either a piranha squadron or a devilfish, you can put the seekers there. That means you instead get the snipers, and have, say, 4 missiles you can fire off (rest of the time you can up the BS, that's also useful, or negate cover, that could also be very useful, or dunk the leadership so that drone-squadron can pin... that's also useful). We can put 2 seekers per vehicle on ANY vehicle, so really, the REAL 'main gun' on a skyray's the pair of markerlights.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 14:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

There's only a single markerlight in your army (until you get a devilfish). This means, with such a small amount of markerlight support, a Skyray is not very effective. I would go for the Sniper teams.
Closed Thread