Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Some help needed (Unit choice...)
Closed Thread
Old 16 Nov 2004, 00:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Labes
Default Some help needed (Unit choice...)

Alright, currently in my army plans I am debating with myself. Would it be better to bring the following:
6x Stealthsuits and 6x Pathfinders (w/3 Rail Rifles and Devilfish with 2 seeker missiles) -(382 total)
or
2x 6man Stealthsuit teams (w/ Team Leader and Markerlight + Target Lock) -(404 total)

I have room for one of those options in my prospective army. I would guess a 6 man stealthsuit would earn back their points, especially when Markerlight-ing for Broadsides/Hammerheads/anything else that feel the need to shoot at whatever is lit up.

-Thanks for any help, Labes
Old 16 Nov 2004, 00:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Some help needed (Unit choice...)

You do realise that stealth are elites and pathfinders are fast attack? therefore if you have room for either options.. you got 2 elites and 1 fast attack slot spare.. so could take both options :P

I'd say the first option.. keep in mind you need a devilfish as well..
Old 16 Nov 2004, 01:04   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yes, I know I can take both.

Except I don't have the points, unless I want to cut down on something else (which would remove either 2 broadsides, a hammerhead or a fire warrior squad {and reduce the number in the others}).

And I know I need a devilfish, it was factored into the equation as well. Two teams of Stealthsuits would be able to funnel the opposition either one way or the other, or possibly in the middle (unless they take option of just destroying/trying to destroy the Suits). But I'm pretty sure the Pathfinders would be able to do the same thing, and with a longer range (on the Rail Rifles at least)...
Old 16 Nov 2004, 06:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

How big a game are you planning on playing, and what army are you playing against?? if its a small game, i'd go for the stealthsuits, because they are mobile and the burst cannon deals death to infantry, but so does the pulse rifle.. for larger games, i'd go for the pathfinders, because seeing as you have railguns, they'll mean that you pretty much hit with BS5, hitting 83% of the time.. and if its broadsides, twin linkage means u hit 97% of the time.. wow.. some great statistics there.. worked out after this other thread
Old 16 Nov 2004, 07:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

i agree with DmaCe. you'd also have to factor in that the stealthsuit's markerlights would only hit on a 4+ and would slow the stealths down alot.
AUTHORITARIAN OPPRESSION, FAMILY ABUSE, DEPRESSION CAUSED BY CONFORMALITY AND ECONOMIC DEVISTATION WILL REIGHN. HUNGRY CHILDREN WILL NOT SPARE THE GROCER. REMORSE IN ALL FORMS WILL BE REMOVED FROM HUMAN THOUGHTS AND ACTIONS FREEDOM WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE THROUGH REVOLUTION OR DEATH. THIS SYSTEM OF A DOWN IS UNAVOIDABLE AS LIFE ON THIS PLANET BECOMES UNNECASSARY. WE HAVE THE POWER TO REVERSE THE TIDES OF TIME BY MAKING OUR AWARENESS OF ABUSE KNOWN TO THE POWERS OF INDUSTRY AND THEIR UNCOUTH POLITICAL ARMS. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY. OPEN YOUR EYES. OPEN YOUR MOUTHS. CLOSE YOUR HANDS AND MAKE A FIST!
Old 16 Nov 2004, 09:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

That's a rough choice, but I'd recommend the Stealth & Pathfinder combination.* The Stealths are always trustworthy, and the Pathfinders can augment other units in your army with the Markerlight, Rail Rifles aside.

Special Note:* If that 22 point difference between the two choices is still available to spend?* I'd think about giving the Pathfinders a team leader and Hardwired Target Lock.* Otherwise, whatever he TAGS for another unit will have to be the same target as the rest of his squad.* This is good if you need that kind of firepower, but there are times when overkill isn't what you're really looking for.

My 2 cents!
Old 17 Nov 2004, 00:24   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well, the games I play wouldn't be that large at the moment (I'm building to 1500 points, probably playing games at 1000/1250/1500 points mostly with my group of friends). And yeah, I would be able to afford the Target lock on the Pathfinder leader, I guess it'd be pretty smart to give it to him, eh?