Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rail rifles: do you use them?
View Poll Results: How do you load rail rifles into your army?
Sniper drone teams 23 60.53%
Pathfinder squads 11 28.95%
I dont use rail rifles 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 14 Apr 2006, 11:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Rail rifles: do you use them?

Pretty self explanatory guys. I was wondering about the popularity of our now official *sniper* weapons, and how you guys use them. Post why you think what you do works for you

Thanks for replying
Old 14 Apr 2006, 11:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Rail rifles: do you use them

since I usually take two squads of pathfinders, I can get away with using 3 in a squad and not have to worry about losing the effectiveness of the markerlights. hasn't really failed me yet.
Old 14 Apr 2006, 11:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'll be taking 3 sniper teams (though probably won't be able to field more than 2 at a time since I'll be playing mostly 1000pt games).

you get up to 3 and a networked markerlight for a nice low cost as sniper teams... and can get 3 such teams as a single heavy support choice...

Or you can pay double, MINIMUM, for 3 of them in a pathfinder team (granted this includes a single markerlight and a devilfish transport)... and that's one fast-attack choice (less gundrone squads, less piranhas...)

I'll be taking the former; leaving room for a hammerhead and a broadside team (or 2 hammerheads, depending on the situation. who knows?)
Old 14 Apr 2006, 12:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I can see where it would be worth it more to you to take them if you plan on taking a minimum squad of pathfinders, but in a max squad with a shas'ui upgrade, drone controller and two marker drones the pathfinder version, while being more expensive will also be a lot more powerful. actually I just did the math and whereas the sniper drone team costs 240 for the max unit size, and my fully kitted out pathfinder team costs exactly 36 points more.
Old 14 Apr 2006, 12:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Since I want the markerlights, and railrifles to be seperate, I have a sniper drone team or two, plus some pathfinders for markerlight support. I like th sniper drones mroe because of the stealth field.
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 14 Apr 2006, 14:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Rail Rifles... oh what a powerful gun eh? So similar to the Starcannon, but less shots and pinning. And of course, a bit less AP. Still, it's quite a powerful weapon.

Do I use it?

Nope... not really.

GW made a good move, a smart one, keeping Rail Rifles off of our troops and other units. Their first appearance on the Pathfinders was a smart choice. It gave them a bit of very good firepower. But did people always field them? Nope. Not many field pathfinders as it is, so no. They wanted to get those sales up probably, but it didn't really work out.

Now GW made another move, putting Rail Rifles in our infantry but in heavy support, in a non-scoring cheap costing unit type fashion. This time around, people will be using them. For people who are not interested in mobility and missions and victory points--they will probably have all three teams on the field perhaps. That's some serious firepower after all. But, they have a lot of things going against them too--such as competition for that heavy slot with Sky Rays, Hammerheads and XV-88s. Not an easy decision for most.

-- Now, I've fielded Rail Rifles in my Pathfinders before. They would pop a marine, and then a heavy bolter would rip them apart. Not a good trade really, so I stopped fielding those Rifles. But my opponent kept that memory and always wanted to gun them down just in case still.

-- I've played a number of games with two teams of Sniper Drones now, and I have to say I was impressed with their abilities. I was sceptical because I don't like the idea of these small "starcannon" type invisible units that just seem to spark "cheese" cries from opponents. But they weren't that bad. Two teams aren't insanely powerful. But best of all, I found I like them for their markerlight--not for their Rail Rifles. That's a BS4 markerlight that cannot be shot at very easily. The Rail Rifles are still accurate enough to shoot without markerlight guidance and have good odds, considering their low cost for the team. So I've been using two markerlights in my past few games. While the Rail Rifles do other work, without their markerlights. And I've found this to be very supportive in the army, killing two birds with one stone.

... Now, just for fun:

Max Rail Rifles possible: 18
Average Rail Rifles used (totally guessing here): 3~6

Why aren't people massing them?
Because it's not healthy for the army to mass them. GW actually designed the integration of the weapon well!

Cheers!
Old 14 Apr 2006, 16:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

It's a shame really, because the new PF rail rifle models are pretty nice. =/
Old 14 Apr 2006, 16:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
It's a shame really, because the new PF rail rifle models are pretty nice. =/
Yea, they're perfect for converting into spotters for home-made Sniper Drone teams. Saves you about $50... I prefer the blister pack with the 2 Pathfinders where one is laying on the ground, and the other is taking a knee. It's just perfect for Spotters.

Cheers!
Old 14 Apr 2006, 16:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I just saved a bunch of money by switching to MalVeauX!
Old 14 Apr 2006, 16:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
-- Now, I've fielded Rail Rifles in my Pathfinders before. They would pop a marine, and then a heavy bolter would rip them apart. Not a good trade really, so I stopped fielding those Rifles. But my opponent kept that memory and always wanted to gun them down just in case still.
what i dont understand is why people ever deploy there pathfinders out side cover? my pathfinders laught at the idea of AP4. all they fear are AP4 cover save denying wepoans, dam tau! heavy bolters are only effective when the targets not in cover

now back on to the issue of rifles pretty desent long range wepoan, i do argee with a lot of what MalVeauX said. thought i also like to piont out that they now give you the target lock free now and it no longer gets hot.

i think markers are worth more than rail rifles in pathfinders, thought i may change my mind on that

Closed Thread