Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Skyray: The Good, The bad, the evil
Closed Thread
Old 13 Apr 2006, 17:04   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Skyray: The Good, The bad, the evil

What are your opinions on the skyray. I have not yet used it but I am curious.

Firstly. I think the main question is.. Using it with pathfinders to markerlight for it, or without pathfinders and relying on itself or maybe a sniper drone spotter to mark for it.

Looking at it on paper, it looks to be a great tank, against light vehicles, it is a better use of points than a hammerhead, worse against armour 13/14. It also is not as well suited as a hammerhead for anti infantry, however, a Multi Tracker is not necessary with it which keeps points down.

has anybody used it? opinions based on the 2 ways to field it?

-Legacy40k
Old 13 Apr 2006, 17:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Skyray: The Good, The bad, the evil

the skyray is your "that thing needs to die right now, on turn 1" tank. for example, after deployment, you realize that your opponents wraithlord is going to cause some trouble. so, you skim over 12", light it up with one of its markerlights, and let loose 6 missles! you should, statistically, kill it before it can even get the chance to move. its also great at:

-killing carnifexes
-Hive tyrants
-bringing assault marines below half strength
-destroying or crippling a devestator squad on turn one
-blowin up rhinos
-taking out a unit of heavy armored nobs
-instant killing charachters (most)

i plan on using one...definately. even after its lauched all its missles, its still TWO markerlights that hit on a +3, and its a hammerhead chassis scoring unit!
Old 13 Apr 2006, 17:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

That would be a great way to use it, mountaincycle... if only it were legal.

One mark, one missile.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 17:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy40k
a Multi Tracker is not necessary with it which keeps points down.
You do need a Multitracker.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 13 Apr 2006, 17:37   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
Quote:
a Multi Tracker is not necessary with it which keeps points down.
You do need a Multitracker.
A tank that can fire all of its weapons indirectly does not need to move at all, let alone more than 6" a turn if it is deployed well. Also, It can move 12" and release all seeker missiles assuming they are marked by a different unit (namely pathfinders) without having a multi tracker.

Sure, it wont hurt to have a multi tracker, but it is in no way nessessary.

-Legacy40k
Old 13 Apr 2006, 18:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

The skyray can't fire markerlights indirectly. If you want to use it as a gun tub, sure, you don't need a multitracker. You can sit behind cover and lob seekers(guided by other units) and SMS at others. But I intend to make good use of those markerlights. They are very hard to come by, if you hadn't noticed, especially on a durable platform like this!
Old 13 Apr 2006, 19:10   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

ok the skyray looks kool- fair enough. but in my view it sucks and is hard to use.

i would only use it if my army is centered around it- i would have stealth suits with markerlights and pathfinders , just to make sur eit does its job

srength 8 wont do good damage against most good vehicles-its not worth risking a markerlight behind enemy lines just to get a weak vehicle.
its hard to control-you wont hit back armour unless you ride all the way round the table-the enemy wont be so stupid to turn his back on you.
that useles ap of 3 is not so nice. if it was 2 i would maybe use it against terminators or something like a strong character.
plus its like putting all my eggs in one basket. i would rather have a seeker missile on each of my vehicles than 6 on one.

the conclusion is- i aint usin a skyray
Old 13 Apr 2006, 19:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

for clarification, the skyray CAN fire six missiles with just a single markerlight (all at one target though).

seeker missiles aren't used to take out heavy vehicles (leman russ, land raider, monolith, etc), by the way, it's mostly for killing transports and creatures that rely on high toughness rather than a high armor save.

I kind of see it as the "kill this before it has the time to pick its nose" thing. oh noes!!! a talos! shewshewshew, fire like 6 missiles, just in case, and kill it to death.

however there's probability of overkill if you fire 6 missiles. if you want, you can use more markerlights to fire missiles one at a time--though it's less efficient for points.

by the way, can a skyray still mount two seeker missiles as sanctioned on all vehicles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 13 Apr 2006, 19:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

it cant use ITS markers to fire all it's missiles IIRC it has two markers but correct me if im wrong

and no they cant take the seeker upgrade :'((i don't know why though)
Old 13 Apr 2006, 19:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
What are your opinions on the skyray. I have not yet used it but I am curious.

Firstly. I think the main question is.. Using it with pathfinders to markerlight for it, or without pathfinders and relying on itself or maybe a sniper drone spotter to mark for it.

Looking at it on paper, it looks to be a great tank, against light vehicles, it is a better use of points than a hammerhead, worse against armour 13/14. It also is not as well suited as a hammerhead for anti infantry, however, a Multi Tracker is not necessary with it which keeps points down.

has anybody used it? opinions based on the 2 ways to field it?

-Legacy40k
They Sky Ray on it's own, doesn't have the same flare that an Ionhead will have, for the price, by comparison. The Sky Ray simply isn't that kind of heavy support. It is, however, a heavy support that supports the entire army. This is pretty different than many of our other units, and it has that same feeling that Pathfinders do. That feeling of support; doing what they do, for the rest of the force--not just for their own unit. Sky Rays are just that. And they do it quite well.

Let's look at some good things about the Sky Ray:

1 - It's an A13 skimmer and a scoring unit.
2 - It has mobile markerlights, that can fire on the go at BS4 if we wish with Target Locks too.
3 - It has lots of indirect fire options, via SMS & it's load of seeker missiles.
4 - The seekers fire independently, so if our vehicle is stunned, we can still use it (always a threat).
5 - The markerlights can support other units very well; while it has it's own attacks still.
6 - If it were to focus, combined with other units supporting each other, it can literally tear a lot apart.
7 - It has a lot less psychological fear factor; ie: it's not as "oh no shoot it!" as a railhead or ionhead.
8 - It supports your troops' markerlights, without buying extra seekers.
9 - It provides a healthy source of that middle strength damage that our army lacks (Str 8~9).

But what's bad about it?

1 - On it's own, it's not as impressive in terms of output as an Ionhead or Railhead will be.
2 - It can be expensive, with it's upgrades, even as a support vehicle.
3 - If it loses it's markerlights (stunned all the time) and you have no others in the force, you're in trouble.
4 - It really needs other units, to support, in order to really shine.

So when you think about it, it's got quite a good load of things going for it, and very little that isn't manageable that goes against it.

I've only had a handful of games with mine thus far, but so far, I'm quite impressed with how it works. It can deal damage, and give me markerlights on the move, without having to take Pathfinders and for less than Pathfinders generally cost. I have it supporting both itself and other units half the time, literally like a big network.

I typically have it supporting infantry and ground squads of battle suits. A few BS4 markerlights can make quite a difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
for clarification, the skyray CAN fire six missiles with just a single markerlight (all at one target though).
That's incorrect I'm afraid. Page 29 says it clear as day that a markerlight may be used to fire a "single" seeker missile, not infinite.

Quote:
by the way, can a skyray still mount two seeker missiles as sanctioned on all vehicles?
No, because on page 41, in the Sky Ray's profile under Options, Seeker Missiles are not listed as an item that they may purchase.

Cheers!