Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Plasma rifles or Missile pods? [TL]
Closed Thread
Old 13 Apr 2006, 13:25   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Plasma rifles or Missile pods? [TL]

Ok im just deciding how to configure my commander it's either:

*Twin linked missile pods - longer range, higher strength and cheaper (assault weapons)

or

*Twin linked plasma rifles - shorter range, lower strength, more expensive, lower AP (rapid fire)
(looks cooler on model)

Which one should I take? I'm currently leaning towards missiles but rifles look cooler.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 13:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Plasma rifles or Missile pods? [TL]

On a commander I'd probably run a fireknife (plasma+missile+multitracker) since you will now have a good BS to go with it. However, if you really like the idea of a TL commander I'd go with plasma, since the BS will help the lesser number of shots
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 13 Apr 2006, 13:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaelakh
Ok im just deciding how to configure my commander it's either:

*Twin linked missile pods - longer range, higher strength and cheaper (assault weapons)

or

*Twin linked plasma rifles - shorter range, lower strength, more expensive, lower AP (rapid fire)
(looks cooler on model)

Which one should I take? I'm currently leaning towards missiles but rifles look cooler.
You should configure your commander based on his role in the army. He has a higher ballistic skill and will hit more often. He also is an independent character, and if he's behind other units he cannot be targeted, allowing him very good safety while shooting.

Consider the following:

~ Plasma ~

Plasma is great for killing infantry. But that's it. And it's only good for the price, at killing things with very nice armor saves in the 2+ and 3+ range. Anything else is better killed with another weapon. The Plasma Rifle is a shorter range weapon. You will be paying a large price, for a single shot at 24 inches, or two shots at 12 inches. 24 inches is relatively safe for your commander (as he can move back again 6 inches with his jet pack move). However, at 12 inches, you're in danger of being shot back at or assaulted. So while plasma is powerful against infantry--it's also dangerous for your commander, due to how close he'll need to be to effectively use plasma.

~ Missile Pod ~

The missile pod is the most versatile weapon in your arsenal for the XV8. It damages nearly everything in the game short of A14. The AP combined with the higher Strength allows you to easily break light armor or crush average infantry. The range is the perk coupled with the number of shots. This is the weapon of choice if you "don't know what to take" because it will always be useful in games and never wasted.

---- So, for example, I use my commander in a role that allows him to sit in the open, untargetable due to his status, and I use him as a dedicated means to destroy enemy transports, or at least stop them. For that, I take twinlinked missile pods on my Shas'el. He hits nearly ever time, and does great damage non-stop, from a comfortable distance of anything within 3 feet range.

---- If you took the plasma rifle, it would be because you plan on getting your hands dirty and getting up close to an opponent to attempt to kill heavy infantry at close range. This will be more hazardous to his health, but the killing will be definite if you're shooting things with high armor.

Just as an extra bit of information - commanders are non-scoring units, unless they have a bodyguard. If they take even a single wound, you donate half your points to your opponent's victory point pool. The more upgrades, the more points you wrack up, the more you give with just a single little wound. I perfer to spread my points over scoring units where possible.

You could combine the two, for even more versatility and many people do this. I however, stick to one thing, because I prefer specific roles and cheaper suits, even if it's only by a slight margin. I also like to be able to correct bad dice, when I fail to hit and I really need to on a given turn--that's what twin-linking does; it allows for correction of "bad luck" sometimes. However that's me. Try things and use whatever suits you best in your games.

Cheers!

Old 13 Apr 2006, 13:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

:

Neither...even without the benefit of markerlights, commanders have a high enough ballistic skill to make twinlinking points-inefficient.* Twinlinking lets you reroll, right?* So, twinlinking a model with BS3 increases your accuracy 50%, from hitting 1/2 of the time to hitting 3/4 of the time.* All for a cost of...you got it, a 50% increase in weapon cost.* Okay, BS4...goes fron hitting 2/3 of the time to hitting 8/9 of the time, a 33% increase in accuracy...but you're still paying a 50% increase in weapon cost.* Not such a great deal.* BS5?* Now, it's really ridiculous.* You're increasing from hitting 5/6 of the time to hitting 35/36 of the time, an increase of less than 17%...still paying a 50% premium in weapon cost.* On top of that, you're giving up a hard point on one of the few suits that can take special issue war gear.*

[move]NO SALE!!![/move]

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 13 Apr 2006, 13:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

A Shas'El with twinlinked weapons is more accurate than a Shas'O, for much cheaper. You could take a targetting array more cheaply, but twinlinking is still more accurate and the TA takes up a hardpoint.

I like Twin Plasma, Fusion, HWMT Shas'El for a commander.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 14:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
and the TA takes up a hardpoint.
Last time I checked, twinlinking also takes up a hard point....DOH!

I like Shas'O with MP, PR, HWMT, iridium, shield gen.*

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 13 Apr 2006, 19:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hi,

I think it's better to fire two weapons on commanders rather than 1 twin-linked. It also depends on what target your commander is firing.

The targeting array also gives the option of using a cheap shas'el while still hitting on BS5. It can be better to twin-link one weapon rather than using a targeting array if you think you commander will generally be firing at opponents where one of the weapons is much better at killing, eg. A shas'el with plasma, missile, targeting array & hw multi-tracker is normally better than a shas'el with twin-plasma, missile & hw multi-tracker, but if you generally find your commander firing at MEQ or terminators at close range the twin-linked plasma suit is actually better.

Overall never have just one weapon (even if that one weapon is twin-linked) on a commander, and consider twin-linking one of your two weapons if you face a particular unit type where one weapon is much better at killing than the other.

The two commander configs I'm swaying between are:

Shas'el with Plasma Rifle, Cyclic Ion Blaster, Targeting Array & hard wired Multi-tracker - as both weapons are good against MEQ I went for the +1 BS

Shas'el with Twin-linked Plasma, Missile Pod & hard-wired Multi-tracker - he good at trying to pop light vehciles early game, and then helps against heavy infrantry later on. Another option for this commander is to not twin-link the plasma and give him a targeting array to hit on 2+. Overall there's not much difference in the change against MEQ, but the targeting array plasma/missile suit is better against non-MEQ.

Rathstar

View my 40k Blog at: http://rathstarramblings.blogspot.com/
Old 13 Apr 2006, 19:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'll probably be sticking to the Shas'el with multi + target array. It seems to me getting a reroll for an 83% chance to hit just isn't worth as much as, say, using an 83% chance of hitting with a DIFFERENT weapon.

statistically, it just seems wiser to using a different weapon as most of the time you'll be hitting with both. Wasting a hardpoint to get an advantage that's only applicable when you miss in the first place (and even then isn't guaranteed)?

Where I see twinlinking being very useful is when you have a low ballistic skill. Like twinlinked carbines on drones, or for our regular crisis and broadside suits (thus the TL railguns, the deathrain config, TLfusion+plasma perhaps).
Old 13 Apr 2006, 19:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

if the enemy has power armour, plasma, if not Missile pods. if you dont know id go with missile pods, great all arounder weapons.

Closed Thread