Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Which HS combo would you use in 2000+ point game
View Poll Results: Which HS combo would you use in 2000+ piont game (all 3 HS slots must be filled, Sniper teams are ex
3 Hammerheads (ion, rail, Skyray, FW variants) 16 29.63%
3-9 Broadsides 0 0%
1-3 Sniper teams 0 0%
1 Hammerhead, 2-6 Broadsides 3 5.56%
1 Hammerhead, 1-3 Sniper Teams 1 1.85%
1-3 Broadsides, 2 Hammerheads 14 25.93%
1-3 Broadsides, 1-3 Sniper Teams 1 1.85%
1-3 sniper Teams, 2 Hammerheads 6 11.11%
1-3 Sniper Teams, 2-6 Broadsides 3 5.56%
1 Hammerhead, 1-3 Broadsides, 1-3 Sniper Teams 10 18.52%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 12 Apr 2006, 23:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Which HS combo would you use in 2000+ point game

This is in celebration to my 500th post (yay! )

I want to know what combo of HS would you use.

I also want reasons, specific upgrades (also names of Hammerheads, ex. "Ionhead", and number of models ex. "2 Broadsides in a team" instead of just "Broadsides") and stradegies if you are up for a mini essay.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 23:56   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to virus646
Default Re: Which HS combo would you use in 2000+ piont game

I always use 2 Ionhead and 2 broadside for my anti-tank,work well
Old 12 Apr 2006, 23:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ilikebigguns

I would use two Hammerheads with railguns and the last hammerhead either being a sky ray or a hammerhead with an ion cannon....

Tau
wins:14
Ties:5
Lost:4
Old 12 Apr 2006, 23:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I always run 2 railheads and have been experimenting with an ionhead as the third choice though so far this isnt working well. I may well swap out the ionhead for a skyray if it proves to be a decent unit.

Old 13 Apr 2006, 00:06   #5 (permalink)
lonely tau

i would take 2 teams of sniper drones, 1 railhead and 1 ionhead just as a take all comers sort of list.

Old 13 Apr 2006, 00:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

(Previously) I would be in the:

2x Hammerheads with Ion Cannons and SMS & XV-88 Broadside with Twinlinked Plasma Team Category

However, things are changing. I've since stopped using my XV-88s and I'm experimenting and trying out the new Snipers and Sky Ray more and more. I really like the feel of the Snipers, for the markerlight support (I don't use them for the railrifles actually; railrifles are simply a bonus). I also like how the Sky Ray feels, having a heavy that can move around and still be useful even if stunned; also supplying markerlights if need be. Both of them, work pretty well with Pathfinder Warfish, so it's a hard choice between the two.

Anyhow the main point is that I typically use my Heavy Support for Anti-Infantry and Skimmer Busting (or light transport busting). They're cheaper and better at the job for murdering infantry fast than other units in our force typically when you compare resilience in the equation and my other units are cheaper and more scattered for anti-tank purposes, so that I'm not slowed down if I lose something. It keeps a good tempo for my current gaming environment.

So currently playing: 2x IonHeads & 1xSniperTeam. But it's subject to change again soon!

Cheers!

Old 13 Apr 2006, 00:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I use 2 Railheads and now a SkyRay. All of them are equiped with SMS, DL, MT and 2 Seekers for my railheads. Railguns, though rather ineffective against MEQs, are useful against anything without power armor. SMS with Seekers are extremely dangerous against any infanty and light vehicles. I don't like Sniper teams, they don't move very fast, if non at all.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 01:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

currently I only run 2 heavies, but thats more " I need to buy another heavy " than "I only need 2".

so I'm running 3 broadsides and a railhead. when I get another heavy it will either be a 3 man broadside team from forgeworld ( the one with the twin plasma, cause it looks so cool) or an ionhead. I might get both and just go back and forth.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 02:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

3 sniper drone teams(pinning an MEQ killing)
2x Railheads(with 2x seekers each)
rails target high armor asap while lights "request" missles on transports n such
Old 13 Apr 2006, 03:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

My mech army is 2 railheads and an ionhead. The ionhead could become a skyray or sniper teams. One of the railheads might occasionally instead be a team of two broadsides with shield drones (and maybe plasma.)

My heavies kill tanks ASAP, and then infantry. Usually the first half of the game will see all the enemy vehicles off the table. Submunitions are always nice, if only to make your opponent spread out so he gets less attacks in when he charges. The ionhead kills raptors, assault marines, and their ilk, or transports, dreadnoughts, etc if the enemy is vehicle heavy. I don't really NEED two railguns, but the second one is for backup. I feel really naked when one dies and I am playing without any rails on the table, if there are enemy vehicles with armor 14, 13, or even 12.
Closed Thread