Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Crisis configurations help needed
Closed Thread
Old 12 Apr 2006, 19:32   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Crisis configurations help needed

Hi there.

I've spent a lot of time reading through the various articles on the site here (great compliations by the way - very handy for a tau novice), and honestly I'm still confused as heck over how to configure my crisit suits. I have a lot of suits available (bought a tau army off ebay last fall - mostly unpainted thankfully). However, I only have the weapons that the seller put on them - mostly twinlinked PR. I figure I'll end up buying sprues, so that leaves me wide open on what to put on them.

Anyway, 3 of them currently have the Fireknife-6 config which makes no sense to me what-so-ever. True, I could make one of them a team leader and HW a multi-tracker, but it's basically a waste of points then on the other 2. Should I rip off the TL PR and replace it with a multi-tracker instead? That seems much more versatile.

I also have 2 suits that appear to have been used as Monats - a sunforge with shield generator and a burning eye with shield generator. If I want to keep using them a Monats, it seems to me like it would make more sense to convert them over to the Helios pattern, make them team leaders and HW the multi-tracker (and maybe also the targeting array - but that's getting a bit pricey).

Any advice you could give me would be great. I hesitate to even put up a list of what else I have, because I'd like to get a good idea of a versatile and effective use of 6 suits (including commander) first.

BTW, I also have the O'Shovah model that I'm considering converting over to just a regular crisis/commander suit, so in reality I have 7 suits available.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 02:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Re: Crisis configurations help needed

Well. The first word I'll say is MAGNETS. It's almost certainly worth the time, effort, and money it takes.

Now, the configs. I generally run 1 or 2 helios-6 Shas'El commanders. They are brutal at close range against anything. But three of these? I can't see the point of this on a non-commander.

Alternatively, regular helios suits can make an awesome elites team with our newly improved pathfinders. Before, it would have taken 6 markerlights to boost the team to BS5 all around. Now it takes only two! 9 BS5, high strength, AP1 and 2 shots! Even at long range, 3 plasma shots hit hard.

I don't do shield gens on crisis suits... so I can't give you advice on those. The twin fusion/TA setup is great for deepstriking on vehicles, especially with the pathfinder marker beacon - IF you want a deepstriking vehicle killer. The burning eye is also a nice config IMO. Though I would rip off both shield gens and try to find some cover to jump behind. Remember that you can't hardwire a targetting array.

Do you like missile pods? I don't, because people around here don't bring enough vehicles. But they're a fantastic weapon now that they're cheaper.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 06:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to flowerfall

your destroying ohsovah!? you want a different looking commander buy the box man. I favour TL PRs ad Fireknife Configuartions. I don't like Burst cannons on XV8s, i'd rather a flamer. I Equiped some of my oshovah body guard with TL flamers. I had fun jumping on an IG static army.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 07:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to uriel

what armies do you see or expect to see in your area and are they vehicle heavy on not. fireknife is good for just about anything you run into, but play styles differ. me i like burstcannons but someone may not, other people like helios i don't. go with magnets is a great way too. but if you feel like you may ruin your models don't put anything on them and proxy unitl you find a suit config you like it's all about play style.

Old 13 Apr 2006, 12:49   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Currently the suits have the configs listed above. I have no problems with removing the arms and putting in magnets, I've gotten pretty good at simple stuff like that after working with orks for the last 8 years.

My main question was whether to cut down on the weapons already on the suits - I couldn't figure out any use in having twin PR and a missle pod.

The armies I'll be facing? Probably a fair amout of MEQ since I'll be playing mostly in a GW store (the local indie around here mostly plays WHFB and I'm taking a bit of a break from that). But I know that some of the guys there also play nids, guard, and tau. One other ork player (ferals which can be a huge pain the ass).
Old 13 Apr 2006, 13:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerfall
I favour TL PRs ad Fireknife Configuartions.
Fireknife is good...but burning eye is horrible. All those points for a twinlinked plasma rifle that has to get within 12" to do well? Better off with helios...inside 12", it kills the same average number of MEQs as burning eye, but has the chance to kill 3, instead of 2, as a max. Also, the S8 is nice on multi-wound models...and S6 is horribly inadequate against monstrous creatures. Not to mention that once every ten games, when such a short-ranged suit has the chance to shoot at a vehicle, S8+2D6 is the gold standard...

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 13 Apr 2006, 14:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by budro
Currently the suits have the configs listed above. I have no problems with removing the arms and putting in magnets, I've gotten pretty good at simple stuff like that after working with orks for the last 8 years.

My main question was whether to cut down on the weapons already on the suits - I couldn't figure out any use in having twin PR and a missle pod.

The armies I'll be facing? Probably a fair amout of MEQ since I'll be playing mostly in a GW store (the local indie around here mostly plays WHFB and I'm taking a bit of a break from that). But I know that some of the guys there also play nids, guard, and tau. One other ork player (ferals which can be a huge pain the ass).
Here's another suggestion for you:

Multi-weapon using Elite suits have poor chances of performing well. They're just so average. And who likes average when it's one model? When you have 10+ models it's ok to be average, because something will happen. But when you have one model and he has one or two shots, and he misses one, it's a big deal. It's pretty disappointing too. Especially if it's all you needed to perhaps kill off that "one last guy" that you needed to remove. Markerlights are back in style and make the multi-weapon setup seem like a good idea again. However, it requires coordination, similar targets, passed leadership priority tests for the lights, and also requires more points dedicated to the firing of that single model. So while markerlights are great and help a lot, they're not as reliable as the suit itself and can often times shut you down if you rely on the lights and suddenly don't have them.

So for an elite suit, I simply would recommend trying out the twin-linking options. Every had a moment where luck just kills you for two turns while you miss over and over when you statistically should have hit? Twin-linking helps pick up the luck, when the dice gods curse you in a game. Pick a weapon, give that weapon a role, give the suit a purpose and make sure he sticks to it. He now has a very accurate weapon to do it with, for cheaper. If you need to bust armor and transports and perhaps pepper some infantry, take the twin-linked missile pods (and either a flamer or black sun filter as your 3rd system). If you want to roast things with high armor, try out twin-linked plasma or plasma combined with fusion blasters (whatever you prefer; I prefer cheaper suits than this). If you want some dakka power, you could combine missile pods and burst cannons, or burst cannons and plasma rifles. Anyhow, the main point is to simply put "like" role suits with other "like" role suits. If you have a squad that needs to hit armor, equip them for that. Don't mix weapons that are meant for infantry if you're not hunting infantry.

An example of this, is instead of having 6 fire knife suits, take 3 twinlinked pods and 3 twinlinked plasma for a more efficient and role-set group of suits. And target locks or other hard points can help you use each weapon more efficiently if you think you can land more damage on several targets.

--- Personally I wouldn't take twin-linked plasma on any suit. It's more expensive than the base cost of the suit even. It just wracks up too many points for my tastes. I would go for a cheaper route, or reserve plasma for a suit that can use it more effectively (or simply field a similar weapon elseware). So if you have some twin-linked plasma setups, perhaps take them appart and make them only have one plasma rifle and give them a matching weapon, like fusion, or perhaps a burst cannon (though I don't recommend the burst cannon honestly).

--- Equip your suits to do the middle-ground work, ie: the work that the rest of the army needs more of. If you need more anti-tank support, equip for it. If your troops need more anti-infantry support, equip for that. If you're always fighting marines, keep that in mind, compared to always fighting guardsmen (you wouldn't need plasma there for example). You won't really need plasma against tyranid or orks either. So keep in mind the kinds of targets your suits will engage the most often, and perhaps equip for that. Go easy on "flexibility" on your suits, because when you have a LOT of suits, and you make them all flexible, they end up costing way too much. Lots of suits benefit from specialization in that you get more suits, that are more efficient at what they do for less of a price. Having few suits who are a little flexible makes more sense if that's your goal. I however would recommend specialzing knowing you have a big XV8 count going on.

Cheers!