Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fresh recruit... with a question. (farsight)
Closed Thread
Old 12 Apr 2006, 19:27   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Fresh recruit... with a question. (farsight)

wahey, i just got myself a copy of the spangly new tau empires codex today. models shall soon follow.

but, right off the bat i have a question, regarding O'Shovah and playing a cadre from the farsight enclaves.

now its reasonable to assume that farsight cant be at the head at each and every one of his cadres at the same time. so, the obvious answer is to use a shas'el, right?

okay, heres the cruch. would you allow me to play using the farsight enclave rules, without having the man himself there? this is for games under 1500 pts, and tournies where special characters arent allowed.

so, i have to follow the unit restrictions, and i gain the the rules about bonding and preffered enemy. but instead of O'Shovah, i have a Shas'El doing the buisness as HQ.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 19:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Fresh recruit... with a question. (farsight)

Me personally would allow you to do it in a friendly game but it is absolutely illegal in a tourny...farsight is the one who brings those rules and without him they are not there.

Old 12 Apr 2006, 19:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Actually it could be said that this is not the case. That you could actually use the rules without Farsight present. Because while they are in his profile they are not locked to his personage as some other rules in existence. Ive seen this discussed in a couple other threads and from a close look it would seem that you could take the breakaway faction and blood brothers rules without actually using Farsight since he is now restricted to 1500 point games and up.

Would be something to check with your local GW about to get their official ruling but I dont see why you couldnt.

Old 12 Apr 2006, 21:37   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

well thats what i was thinking... i mean when you consider farsight can only be used in 1500 or above... then a 1000 pt force could have 3 hammerheads, while a 2000 only gets one! not making much sense to me...

as for tourney legal... well if i was playing 1500 id bring farsight anyway... and if it was 1000, then id have to check it out with the organisers. thanks for the replies. hope this doesnt start a huge rules debate...
Old 12 Apr 2006, 21:52   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

One last thing...if you dont use farsight then just be shure to give your commander a farsight insignia somewhere, then put a picture in this thread.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 22:02   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_legend
One last thing...if you dont use farsight then just be shure to give your commander a farsight insignia somewhere, then put a picture in this thread.
oh no, i intend to get both farsight and a commander. its just for games under 1500. besides, you only get all the special issue toys with the commander sprue.

as for the insigna... is that the symbol on farsights sheild generator? the one that looks kind of like a sept symbol. if so, then yeah, ill put one on the regular commander too.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 22:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Rechar Send a message via Yahoo to Rechar

Theres no requirement to take Farsight to be considered a farsight enclave army, just as you don't need to take Aun'Va/Shadowsun to be considered mainstream Tau.

You would just be a cadre operating for the enclave, when you had O'shovah, you would be his Cadre.

"Just as the chaotic nature of these aliens is anathema to we of the Empire, so it is that the Tau'va is abhorent to them. They have no capacity to accept such glory and should be kulled so the Empires efforts may be spent in a more productive manner." attributed - Shas'O Rech'Ar
Old 12 Apr 2006, 22:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rechar
Theres no requirement to take Farsight to be considered a farsight enclave army, just as you don't need to take Aun'Va/Shadowsun to be considered mainstream Tau.

You would just be a cadre operating for the enclave, when you had O'shovah, you would be his Cadre.
I think you missed the point. A farsight enclave army has special rules assosiated with it and those rules used to be tied to Farsight. Now it would seem that they arent so tied the question is whether you can field a farsight enclave army without farsight. There is a great difference between just calling it a breakaway faction army and actually using all the special rules.

Old 12 Apr 2006, 22:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Rechar Send a message via Yahoo to Rechar

Its not just a breakaway faction anymore, O'shovah has fortress after fortress spanning planets, only a retard would think O'shovah himself would lead every single mission from the Enclaves.

He undoubtably has inferiors who perform the role of Shas'O in numerous Cadres...those are what you can take. O'shovah is mearly a special character just like Aun'Va.

Unless you're arguing that all the followers of Farsight only gain the prefered enemy orks rule when farsight is there with them? Not like they have been fighting orks themselves for years is it? Not like they have formed deep ties with their brothers allowing free bonding eh?

"Just as the chaotic nature of these aliens is anathema to we of the Empire, so it is that the Tau'va is abhorent to them. They have no capacity to accept such glory and should be kulled so the Empires efforts may be spent in a more productive manner." attributed - Shas'O Rech'Ar
Old 12 Apr 2006, 22:56   #10 (permalink)
lonely tau

this raises quite a good point that should be explained. although it isnt in the rules everyon is saying that they should have the special farsight rules even if he is not in the army. i would have to agree with this on all accounts and i would ask the opponents permission first and maybe add 10 or so points to the commander just because.

Closed Thread