Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Herding your opponent, because divide and conquer rules!
Closed Thread
Old 12 Apr 2006, 19:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Herding your opponent, because divide and conquer rules!

Summary: Writing about using Vespid as ambushers, I mentioned briefly that Tank Shock could separate a unit from an army for an ambush. I did some thinking and research and came up with Infantry Herding Tactics.

The concept is to use tanks to cut pieces of an enemy army off to safely attack. Here's a quick diagram.

SM SM SM XXX Vespid
XXXTL Flamer Crisis
Hammerhead
Devilfish

SM - Space Marine Squad
X - LOS blocking cover

In the above diagram, the Vespid and a TL Flamer Crisis suit have flanked the enemy Marines and are behind cover, ready to ambush. They are about 12" from the closest squad. The Hammerhead is about 6" away from that squad, and the Devilfish is 9" away. The Devilfish has Pathfinders.

Now, on the Tau turn, the Devilfish moves forth 12" and Tank Shocks the left half of the SM squad. The rules state(pg 70) that individual models must be moved out of the way of the tank by the shortest route possible, maintaining unit coherancy. Since the Devilfish moved halfway past the squad, the squad can't move towards the other squads, or ahead or back on the board. So now the squad is pushed together tightly. The rules are a little hazy, but ideally, you'd turn the 'Fish to present front armor to the rest of the enemy.

SM SM DFSM XXX Vespid
XXXTL Flamer Crisis
Hammerhead

Now the Hammerhead drives over the Marines and past, moving a full 12", turning to face the rest of the army.

HH
SM SM DF SM XXX Vespid
XXXTLFC

Now the Vespid and the TLFC move in, and the Devilfish can unload into the space vacated by the Marines, if possible.

HH Vespid
SM SM DFFWSM XXX
TLFXXX

The TLF and Vespid fire, along with the FireWarriors, trying to reduce the Marines to 0 to 2 Marines. Any higher and the Devilfish and Hammerhead may need to help out. Then the TLF and Vespid assault, wiping out the remnants of the Marine squad. The units consolidate to be behind the Devilfish and Hammerhead.

HH Vespid
SM SM DFFWTLFXXX
XXX

Problems:
The Space Marines may be able to advance and fire around the Devilfish.
Well the Devilfish is a little bigger than the space I gave it there.

The Marines can Death or Glory my Tanks!
This is an issue! According to Death or Glory rules, such an attack will hit automatically, negating the "6 to hit a skimmer in Assault" rule. Powerfists and meltaguns will definitely ruin your day. On the other hand, the Death or Glory attack occurs when the Tank has moved 6"+ as a skimmer, so it'll be a glancing hit regardless.

The Marines might Fall Back!
Yes, that can happen, too, but after the Tank has forced them to move. With their high Ld, that shouldn't be an issue. In the above example, the marines should fall back enough to be visible from behind the LOS blocking cover. The Vespid can still fire, the Flamer suit might be able to J-S-J, and the FireWarriors and Tanks should be able to finish them off. In fact, with everything happening to the Marine Squad, they could fall back more than 2d6" by failing up to three morale checks. That might push them off the table, which is just as good. And if they fall back, they can't regroup while the Hammerhead is within 12" of them. Falling back is OK.

So I can Tank Shock, turn to face, and unload troops in one turn?
Errhm, well, maybe? The Tank Shock rules say you can turn to face before moving, and can't turn during the Tank Shock move. It is vague regarding turning after the move but before the Movement Phase ends. It is also vague regarding turning to face, then moving sideways.

Can't I land and block LOS?
I thought so, but the rules state that only a skimmer that doesn't move can land. More Marine-friendly rules, I'm afraid.

So my units have no cover?
LOS isn't blocked, but the units are behind vehicles and should receive a 4+ cover save, which is actually an improvement for the Vespid.

So I destroyed one unit. Now what?
Ideally, you want to isolate the other marine squads and deal with them separately. That'll be hard with the units you have there, because they aren't in a good position for it. But you can try this on the next turn.

Tank Shock the SM squad with the Devilfish.

SM HH Vespid
SM DF FWTLFXXX
XXX

Tank Shock again with the Hammerhead.
SM
HH Vespid
SM DF FWTLFXXX
XXX

Advance your infantry.
SM Vespid
HH TLFFW
SM DF XXX
XXX

Blast away. Assault if necessary. Consolidate behind the vehicles.
Vespid
HH TLFFW
SM DF XXX
XXX

Problems
Um, why are we Tank Shocking here?
Well, it's optional, but basically, we're trying to make the enemy Fall Back. With the Vespid there, the Marines are unlikely to be able to regroup, and should fall off the board. Also, it let's us advance closer to the last squad, so we can shoot more effectively on the next turn. You could just drive up the Marines and fire away.

What do I do if I lose a vehicle.
Lot's can go wrong here, but losing a vehicle can benefit you. Now you are protected by LOS blocking cover, and can't lose any infantry.

Final Word
I know my Tau are most effective massed together. Concentrating firepower is the best way to destroy enemy units. The same works for the opponent. By cutting off chunks of his army, you can deal with managable pieces with hopefully minimum casualties. The Ideal Situation is to Tank Shock the enemy in positions beside LOS blocking terrain, where the ambushers can fire without the possibilities of return fire.

This is an aggressive tactic, one that takes the fight to the enemy and forces him to confront you on terms you set. I think this will take some thinking ahead to use effectively. This will likely work best on static, vehicle light armies, but could work effectively in later turns when transports have been destroyed, and mopping up infantry is job.

Old 13 Apr 2006, 02:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Re: Herding your opponent, because divide and conquer rules!

Interesting article! I find that in the real game, tank shock doesn't often benefit, and is very hard to pull off correctly. It can sometimes work, and this is something I should probably look for more often.

Quote:
So my units have no cover?
LOS isn't blocked, but the units are behind vehicles and should receive a 4+ cover save, which is actually an improvement for the Vespid.
Actually you don't receive cover saves from your own skimmers. Sorry!
Old 13 Apr 2006, 07:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to uriel

I kinda did something like that against a marine play who shakened my hammerhead with dev squad so i tank shocked that squad the next turn he had to move to make unit coherency. gave enought time to make a leap with my 2 fish squads and suits out in the open dropped the squad down some then assaulted them with gun drones (yes i know i'm that punk kid who likes to hit ppl in the head with frisbees) won combat and chased them of the table.

Old 13 Apr 2006, 12:36   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Could work, but more often than not i find tank shocking a very risky job. I may have to try this though its sounds a good tactic when your feeling lucky. Great Idea!
Old 13 Apr 2006, 14:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yep, I've only seen tank shock be useful twice. Once, it forced a unit with heavy weapons to move to regiain coherency, and once I actually ran over that dark eldar leader type with the 2+ invulnerable. Crunch!

But most of the time, it merely exposes side armor to the enemy. Not a tactic I'd count on to win a lot of games!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 13 Apr 2006, 16:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

i ran a unit of 40 conscripts off a table once with my hammerhead in a mega battle

Once you tankshock a space marine unit and they fail their LD test, keep within 6" at the end of each of your turns, then they can never rally, and they'll just run straight off the table.

Thats how a devilfish kills a 200p unit of marines.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 17:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i thought marines could always re-group, even within 6 inches of an enemy, and if they are below half strength? if you guys are SURE that they CANNOT regroup if there is an enemy nearby then i will be tank shocking ALOT more often...

where in the space marine codex does it say that they cant regroup?
Old 13 Apr 2006, 18:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

If you'll follow me into the Universal Special Rules section of the rulebook, page 74...

"Space Marines automatically pass Morale tests to regroup, and can take such tests even if the squad has been reduced to less than 50% by casualties, though all other criteria apply."

Happy marine-terrorizing!
Closed Thread