Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I'm considering a new config for my crisis team...tear it apart, please...
Closed Thread
Old 12 Apr 2006, 04:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default I'm considering a new config for my crisis team...tear it apart, please...

I've been lurking on this board for a while, but I thought that I may be overdue for a post.

I've been thinking about reconfiguring my crisis suit teams again. Originally, under 3rd edition what I'd usually do is take a team of 3 suits with TL PR and 6 gun drones. That kind of worked for me, especially if I had an Ethereal to help with the morale saves when the gun drones started to get blasted away. But it was also hard to maneuver all those models successfully.

When 4th ed came along I switched to teams of 2 suits, still with TL PR, and shield generators. I didn't have to make as many morale checks, but the teams would sometimes be wiped out by the end of game. One of the reasons I went down to 2 suits was that it would make bonding a moot issue. It would also make scoring victory points on the unit an all or nothing matter.

I'm now considering another change. I don't have the new codex yet, but from people's comments I think I have a decent understanding of the new rules. My new crisis team would consist of 3 suits (1 a team lead) with MP, PR and MT. The team lead would also bring along 2 shield drones. This unit would require 2 wounds to cause a morale check. The unit could also be whittled down to just 2 suits, but still count as being 50% strength for VP due to how the wounds work out.

Before I've neither been a fan or hater of the fireknife configuration, but with the new markerlight rules it seems that you benefit more from the greater number of shots, which is also why I'm going back to three suits in a team. I plan on taking a full team of pathfinders (no rail rifles) in my future lists, and the idea of having this crisis team being able to hit with all their shots on a 2+ sounds good to me. I understand that my pathfinders will probably be gone after a couple of turns, but I'm hoping that a couple of good turns of firing from my crisis teams will make up for that.

So that's my plan. It sounds good to me. What I'd like to know is what problems does anyone foresee with this setup? Thanks in advance.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 04:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: I'm considering a new config for my crisis team...tear it apart, please...

It seems a fairly good setup thats why fireknife is so popular, The shield drones can't take wounds for the suits now if i am correct so i think it would probably be better th just take a couple gun drones add some close range pinning power and as you said more shots. Don't forget that you can keep the TL PR and stick on a TA for a BS of 4, 5 with a markerlight, making them SM killnig machines with good range but expensive. Also the team leader can take any number of HW equipment so dont be a afraid to throw on a TL if you want as well as the Drone Controller. Not as many shots but having 3-6 TL PR shots is no laughing matter specially when thet are at a BS of 4-5 depending. If you want it may be expensive but you can put on your team leader TL PR and another weapon and just add a HW MT he would lose the TA but it would add 3 more shots at 36". Just somethingto consider.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 08:15   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: I'm considering a new config for my crisis team...tear it apart, please...

That's exactly my plan aswell. It'd work better on Shas'Vres though. I've adopted the bodyguard now, I just love BS4 suits .

I think normal suits should get the twin linked config.
Twin-link plus shield
twin-link plus TA
Old 12 Apr 2006, 08:18   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Zarutal it's not like that. Shield drones don't have fixed toughness and armour save, so they actually CAN take the hits for their unit (and let them splash on their inv save). I will definitely take them with my Crisis team.

Wmarshal, I like your team, because I was a fan of fireknife ever since I first got my codex and now with the advent of new markerlights it gets a LOT better-against SMs, it might mean 3 kills and 6 forced armour saves within 24"-not a bad thing; and you have a potential to rain missiles on vehicles... Tasty. Shield drones will make them last longer.

- Caboose, an alien
Old 12 Apr 2006, 09:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think its a great set-up, and large enough to be able to act independantly should the situation require. Also has shield drones for those occasional krak missiles you can pick (which can really ruin your day sometimes).

2 thumbs up!
Old 12 Apr 2006, 09:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarshal

I'm now considering another change. I don't have the new codex yet, but from people's comments I think I have a decent understanding of the new rules. My new crisis team would consist of 3 suits (1 a team lead) with MP, PR and MT. The team lead would also bring along 2 shield drones. This unit would require 2 wounds to cause a morale check. The unit could also be whittled down to just 2 suits, but still count as being 50% strength for VP due to how the wounds work out.
I really would like to help but . . .

1 I really suggest you buy the dex, it would help you see the advantages on the new suit gear.

2 If you really want a good answer, you really have to give the point values you are going to be playing. Shield drones are expensive but do help. It is hard to say anything because if you are 1000 points, that is too expensive a unit.

3 Everyone uses their suits differently, you really should not worry too much about using shield drones, with the JSJ of the suits, that should keep them safe, with the points you save. Once you get the dex you will that it will cost you quite a bit to upgrade you suits. You would have enought to buy one more suit. But then again, I work with quantity not quality.

4 If you want quality and decent killing power, go Monat, make him a team leader, buy him PR, MP, TA and hardwired MT.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 12 Apr 2006, 11:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Another option you might consider is the burst cannon-plasma combo. Its more of a close range set-up but within 12" you get a mighty 15 shots, almost half of which will carve through any armour. The burst cannons also help a lot against AV10 vehicles and infantry. If you want a REAL CQB punch then try this:

2 XV Shas'ui with plasma rifles, flamers and multi trackers
1 XV Shas'vre with plasma rifle, CIB and multi tracker with HW drone controller + 2 shield drones.
=208 points

Against a unit of 8 marines that could mean up to:
6 STR6 AP3 hits
16 STR4 AP5 hits
5 STR3 AP6/1 hits

shouldnt be much left after that!
Old 12 Apr 2006, 11:36   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the feedback. It seems that what I came up with isn't a bad setup, but might use some tweeking, such as a TL for the team lead.

Wolf Tau, thanks for your comments. I guess I didn't include enough information. To your points...
1. I've tried to buy the codex from my local gaming store for the last two weeks, but they haven't gotten it in yet. Where I live there's only one store within an hour's drive that carries 40k stuff. I suppose I could order it online from somewhere (which I've done before), but I like to throw some support to the local stores. If he doesn't have it in this week I'm going to have to consider going online for it.

2. We usually play 1500 points. Sometimes we go to 1000 points if we want a quick game, or up to 1850 points when we want to go all out, but 1500 points is our average game.

3. I do use JSJ as much as I can, but sometimes the terrain just isn't in my favor. Other times in order to get close enough to get within 12" of my target to get the 2 shots from my PR leaves unable to jump behind terrain. We do use terrain, pretty much as per the rulebook (1 significant piece per 2'x2' area on average), but if I'm going to go in for the kill, or cross ground to seize an objective I'm likely to leave myself exposed to fire.

4. I've got my commander(s), and a sunforge set up as monat for now. Against MEQ opponents I tend to bulk up on the crisis suits. I only have two elite slots left so I'm thinking of going with a full team to help give me a good number of suits, and take better advantage of the marker light rules.

Coolflame, while I can't always perform the JSJ maneuver I always try to stay out of assault range. I've never had much luck with my Tau whenever my opponent has been able to assault them, which is why I never take flamers as they would require to get closer than I'd like to make good use of them. I've considered using burst cannons instead of the missile pods, but for bust cannon fire I've got a team of stealths that I think would provide a better source of burst cannon fire.

Thanks again!
Old 12 Apr 2006, 16:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Fireknife is definitely much improved by the new codex, but burning eye was never a smart choice. Helios has always been better than burning eye, even without markerlight support. Burning eye had a slight edge at 24"...but anyone who thinks a burning eye suit that doesn't get close enough to rapid-fire is effective should have his head examined. 3 twinlinked plasma shots per turn don't justify the crisis team, but 6 do. And if you're going to get within 12", you're better off with helios than burning eye. Both suits get the same average number of MEQ kills, but the helios has a 50% higher maximum number of kills (3 per suit versus 2). On top of that , on the rare occasion that your MEQ-hunting suits end up near a vehicle, you've got that 2D6 penetration on S8 to play with. To cap it off, against multi-wound models, the fusion blaster instant-kills against T4...and against high toughness models, the difference between plasma and fusion is HUGE. Quite a nice list of advantages, and a very profitable trade-off against that reroll at 24"! And, of course, with markerlight support, two-weapon suits always outdo twinlinked suits, that's just hte nature of the game.

As for your pathfinders evaporating after a couple turns, that depends on how you deploy them. Many players think they should use that scout move to get as close as possible to the enemy. But, even in cover, making such a pivotal unit the closest thing to the enemy is extremely foolish. They have a 36" range, use it. I always deploy mine immediately behind my static fire warriors (who are at the front of my deployment zone), so they slightly outrange the pulse rifles. This generally allows them to reach within 4" of the opposite board edge and puts well over half of the table within range of the lights, while making them not the closest unit for targeting purposes and generally out of range of most enemy weapons for a couple of turns at least. This way, they tend to last till turn 3-4 if the enemy makes them priority number one, and through the end of the game if not. I'm also going to start flanking them with sniper teams (as well as embedding an aun in one FW team), since they have the same range, like so:

[ FW ] [ FW ]
[SD] [PF] [SD]

This makes for an extremely STOUT firing line. Anything trying to get close gets hit with an average of four markerlights, with any excess markers after the first two being passed on to the fire warriors. 4 sniper hits and 18 pulse hits will generally obliterate one enemy unit per turn with no fuss. At 600ish points, it's 40% of my force, and the rest is mechanized, making for a well balanced hybrid army. The point, though, is that pathfinders only die quickly when you hang them out in front of your army instead of burying them in cover at max range. The only time you should use the scout move is to get them into some 4+ or better cover with incredible lines of sight just outside your deployment zone...and then you'd better be prepared to interpose troops between them and the enemy (either infiltrated kroot or mobile FW). Otherwise, leave them in cover in your deployment zone (but where they can see) behind some fire warriors.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread