Warhammer 40K Forum

What to pick? (anti-tank role)
Closed Thread
Old 11 Apr 2006, 14:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby
Default What to pick? (anti-tank role)

Hi,
I got a gap in my army list : aprox 150 points.

I tough about taking a piranha fusion blaster as I got 2 broadsides and armour is going to hide for me. With the fast piranha I can get the armour to
A: Pop out in front of my broadsides
B: Get blown to bits by my piranha.

A real cohesion work just like Tau is supposed to fight.
I also got 2 other suits with missilepods so I can also take on some vehicles with them.

A friend of me adviced me on what I can also do
Take a crisis suit with fusion ( Dunno if he said twinlinked ) and deepstrike him.

Its about the same number of points ( suit is cheaper ) but what are the adventages ?

Ive tought about that today and to me its like this :

Piranha is faster than the suit ( almost 30´ compared to almost 15´ a turn )
The Piranha is on the board from turn one ( if you dont play escalation )
Piranha hasnt got twinlinking abbility so missing chance is a bit bigger
Piranha has got drones
Piranha is a bit more expensive

Suit has got twinlinked weapons ( if I put them on )
Suit has got a minor risk with the deepstrike ( roll to low and that armour is still hiding or bassislisk is pumping out a pie plate again )
Suit has got another risk with deepstriking, getting on another enemy troop or scatter to wide.
Suit has got higher chance of surviving ?
Suit is cheaper

So im still in doubt.
Shall I take both ?
If I take both, shall I make them both armour hunters or do I give the piranha a burstcannon to work together with my 2 stealth teams ?
If I take one of them, why the suit or why the piranha ?
Ive read about the piranha and reactions are different.
I think the piranha is nice to play with and a perfect fast vehicle that can hug terrain and pop out and blow up what you want ( if you put on targeting array )
But the suit has got twinlinking so has got a higher chance of inflicting a hit.
What to do ?
What is youre oppinion ?
Old 11 Apr 2006, 15:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: what to pick ( anti tank role ) please help me and share youre ideas

2 Pirhanas w/ fusion blasters, targeting arrays, 1 seeker missile
150 points

That's an excellent anti tank squad, that as an added bonus gives you a 4 man gun drone squadron (2 FoC Choices for 1!)

Run the squad up a full 24" on turn 1 so it's in the side arc of an enemy tank, then markerlight that tank. Use the marker hit to launch the Pirhanas seeker missile, which hits its side armour.

Next turn pop out the drone squadron and they can work in tandem with the pirhanas to cause no end of havock in the middle of the enemy army.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 15:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: what to pick ( anti tank role ) please help me and share youre ideas

But than I need someone with a markerlight.

I like the idea of a duo of piranhas. I tought of it myself as well. ( only a sec or so )
But wouldnt it be a bit to much overkill on the anti tank bit.
As Ive also got 2 xv88´s
Old 11 Apr 2006, 15:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

A piranha with fusion, decoy launchers, and I think targeting array is only 75 points.

Better to use two Piranha, one in each Fast Attack slot, than two in one slot. I don't know if you have the spare FA slot, though.

Piranha can only move 12" and fire - bear that in mind.

A deep-striking, TL FB crisis suit tends to be a poor delivery system simply due to deep strike rules (missing your mark) and the fact that you can't move - so you get one fire phase and you tend to die. I don't like those odds.

With two Piranha (especially in 2 FA slots), in conjunction with your broadsides, you can dictate where your enemy armor may move (not within 18-24" of your Piranha, and nowhere the Railguns can get em).
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 11 Apr 2006, 15:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Don't give pirhanas that are in squadrons decoy launchers, it's a waste of points, because even with the re-roll they'll still be rendered eiteher dead, or weaponless.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11 Apr 2006, 15:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I was hoping someone would say that. I need another piranha than.
Im going to test it out with a proxy ( sentinel ) a few times and see If I like it.I got the room for it ( and the cash ) so why not.
I realy love the piranhas.
Yea like I said I dislike the deepstrike suit for the reasons you put up there Helio. Its to random.

But what if theres no enemy armour ?
I think against nids that I can take out the big beastie´s very well with this duo

Thanks for the tip Falstead on the decoy launchers.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 15:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Ironman

Hey, Don't forget XV25's!

Those stealth suits can be affited with fusion blasters, and with all there concealment they can get up close and persional with enemy armor in no time... (infiltration,stealth fields, jet packs, all that fun stuff)
Also, the unit can take drone controlers and get markerdrones (markerlights!) and can also sock it to any lightly armored units with there standard issue burst cannons!

Did i mention that a decent unit of them costs around 150 points?
Old 11 Apr 2006, 15:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yea I already got to squads of 4 of them in my list.
I was personaly going to use those for anti infantry ( horde ) as I havent got any templates I can realy use those burst cannons together with my 24 fire warriors.

Thanks a lot for the advice though
Old 11 Apr 2006, 15:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

NOOOO! XV-25's with fusion blasters is nothing but Propaganda spread by the Gueve'sa to gain an advantage over the noble fire caste on the field of battle.

Tau units excel and work best when they have a defined and single role, they can work together and support each other bringing their firepower to bear where its needed.

By adding fusion blasters to the XV-25 squad you're not only giving it weapons with radically different roles, but also radically different ranges.

The burst cannon is just as effective at 17" as it is at 5".

The fusion blaster has only a 12" range and is only at maximum anti armour efficiency at 6".

The further away you are from an enemy the better your stealth field is. If you have to close to 6" and then JSJ to 12" you're stealth field, one of your greatest strengths is wasted.

Not only that but while your fusion blaster is shooting at a tank with a 50% chance of hitting the rest of your stealth suits are standing around looking silly by not firing their burst cannons.

This can be fixed by adding things like target locks but the points add up quickly, and it can increase the point cost of the squad by a large amount.

The most efficient Fusion Blaster deliver platform is a School of Piranhas.

Fear the fish, they'll skeltize you in a matter of seconds.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11 Apr 2006, 16:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yea you are correct about the stealths.

I think im going to go with the piranha duo. I better get play testing soon.

Closed Thread