Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question on learning Tau units, need some guidance...
Closed Thread
Old 11 Apr 2006, 03:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to etancross Send a message via MSN to etancross Send a message via Yahoo to etancross
Default Question on learning Tau units, need some guidance...

It took a bit to work up the nerve to ask this butttttttt....... I have been playing 40 for almost a year and warhammer for about 4 months I think, so I not a rookie and have an idea what iím doing. I picked up the Tau because I thought the new models rocked and I liked them a lot and I thought they would be fun to play... now my problem is i have NO IDEA how to use them. I understand shooty armies a bit, but I feel like iím reading Russian when I sit down and try to learn these guys. There is going to be a 40k event this weekend and I would LOVE to use my Tau except i have no idea how to use them, or how to put a list together with them, I donít understand the Markerlights ability, i LOVE the gun drones have no idea how they work, what are my best units to use with maximum firepower, almost everyone plays space marines what is the best thing to take to take them out, and i think the stealth suits rock but I donít know how to use them.

i have played CC armies in the past, but now I want a super shooty army and I want to POUND my enemies with a HELL of gun shots and I want to make them feel crippled and helpless and like they can't move without getting shot. I got the new Tau big box with all the cool new models and then bought a Battleforce of the new models and I want to put together a good army but I donít really know what I have, or what I should do for the event this weekend. I have heard some of the other guys talking about it and some cheesy lists are being made so I want to make sure I have PLEANTLY of fire power and can get the most bang for my buck.... what do you guys think?

I really want to use the Tau and not have to fall back on my Death Guard troops as a crutch...........

any advice would be appreciated...

thanks guys

Cross...
Old 11 Apr 2006, 03:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Question on learning Tau units, need some guidance...

Well, we can start of by trying got create a list, how many pts are you going to use?
2 things every army will need. 1 group of Fire Warriors, and 1 HQ suit. For the FWs I suggest you make them all with Pulse Rifles. With the HQ, make the suit, but don't glue on any of the weapons or support systems.

From their we can decide if you want to go with a static list, or a Mobile list, or a hybrid (i.e. a little static and a little Mobile mixed together).

You shouldent have gotten pathfinders in either box set, so don't worry about marklights yet.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 04:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to etancross Send a message via MSN to etancross Send a message via Yahoo to etancross

I have the Tau big box (the brand new one that just came out) with all the cool new models and then bought a Battleforce that also had the new models. They came with:

Codex: Tau Empire, 1 Tau Ethereal (limited edition) and Shield Drone, 1 Tau Crisis Battle Suit Commander and 2 Gun Drones, 2 Tau XV8 Battlesuits, 6 Vespid Stingwings, a 4 model Tau Sniper Drone Team, 3 Tau XV25 Stealth Suits, 12 Tau Fire Warriors, 16 Kroot, and 1 Hammerhead Tank.

Then the battleforce had:
(1) Tau Crisis XV8 Battlesuit, one (1) Devilfish APC, three (3) Tau XV25 Stealth Suits, one (1) Markerlight Drone, six (6) Gun Drones, twelve (12) Tau Fire Warriors, and twelve (12) Kroot Carnivores.

Is this enough for a decent 1000k - 1500 pt list? i can pick up another battleforce friday if i need to.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 04:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

At this point markerlights arent your focus so leave those for when you are more familiar with your army (heck Ive been playing for over a hear and a half now and my armies record rocks and I STILL dont use them much).

Now to start with you need a core force. 2 Troops and an HQ. I personally love firewarriors as basic infantry they rock. Ok so they arent space marines but that str 5 and 30" range really puts the hurt on those marines when used right. For the HQ I find a Shas'O with shield gennerator, fusion blaster and plasma rifle works really well especially when your trying to learn as it is a good fallback. As an IC he has remarkable survivability and has the capability to kill anything you will ever face no matter how big the tank is or how low that armor save is he can kill it so you always have a fall back plan.

Now given that you like drones, like the new models and like stealths. I would suggest as a starter army then something like this. A large firebase of Firewarriors alongside the sniper drone teams. Then you can give drone controllers to your stealth teams and infiltrate them forward. Burst cannons get you a nice 3 shots each and with drones a single team of 6 with 12 drones puts out 30 shots a turn.... got that 30 shots... let that sink in and also remember these guys have a stealth field, 18" range and can infiltrate.

With regards to your firebase this is simple. You want to maximize your long range firepower. Using the Stealths to bottle up your enemy and keep them distracted with such a high fire output unit that is such a pest you can pound away at the enemy from long range and cripple them before they get close. Set up your units 7" away from each other along your deployment. This ensures that the enemy cannot consolidate from one squad to another should you get locked in close combat. The sniper drones are also stealth fielded so you could place them on a flank and let the enemy try to go after them. Set up your Firewarriors in sight of the drones and the approach to the drones and when the enemy goes after them they are actually walking into the guns of your firebase aswell.

Now you also have Kroot, some crisis suits and a Hammerhead if I remember right. For versatilities sake I would say go with a Railhead, when you know more about the army you can test out the ion but for now the rail is a good way to go. It has the strength to pop heavy armor and it can drop a pie plate on infantry that can put the hurt on even marines. For this I would suggest deathrain (twin linked missil pods) suits or fireknife (missil pod, plasma rifle, multi tracker). They let you hover around at mid range and fill the gap between your firebase and your forward stealth teams. The Railhead can skim around with them and provide the heavy firepower should you need it.

Kroot can actually form a good firebase. Infiltrate them into woods with 7" infront of them. When stationary field craft lets them see through 12" of woods instead of 6" so they can effectively fire out and nobody can shoot back at them. You can draw off large chunks of your enemies army to deal with them and use that to draw them into an ambush by the crisis, Hammerhead and stealth suits who all wouldnt be too far away in their more forward or middle positions.

For your vehicles always give them decoy launchers and the multi tracker. The multi tracker allows them to move their full 12" and still fire all their guns and the decoy launchers are a great extra protection that really comes in handy. Also I suggest always keep them moving more than 6" a turn to make the most of the skimmer moving fast protection.

This setup should let you use what you like and learn how it works and give you a basic setup to learn the army and what you want to do with it and alter it from there. Good luck and feel free to ask further questions.

Old 11 Apr 2006, 04:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Ironman

Ok! so you have a full unit of stealth suits!(oh joy ren!)(BTW, stealthy troops are my only no brainer to explane)

Sience you have 6 of these beauty's, your going to want to consider taking it as a tank hunting squad, equipping one or two of 'em with a fusion blaster.(a melta in all respects) the stealthsuits(or XV25's for short if your interested) can infiltrate in and go hell for leather at the first tank they find, then mow down any small lightly armored units with there mighty burst cannons...

On the hole, the battle box is set up as a bit of a mobile mechanized beginners set, what with the devilfish and kroot and all, but the crisis suit (XV8) commander is your cornerstone to annoyance, deck him out by checking the armory in your codex and the corresponding army entry to make sure you know what your doing.

Another sugestion is taking the ion cannon on the hammerhead, because it's high AP and many shots are enough to keep any unit of SMurfs on there toes....

I'm only good at suggesting what to do with individual units (all else is subject to correction by other people :-\)

My brain hurts, lemme go paint something and i'll get back to you later....
Old 11 Apr 2006, 05:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by etancross
Is this enough for a decent 1000k - 1500 pt list? i can pick up another battleforce Friday if i need to.
It should be more then enough, so don't run off and blow more money on another battle force.

So let me quantify what you have:

HQ:
1 Suit: Manditory for every army
1 Etherail: you probably don't need this now

Elite:
5 Crisis Suits: You'll probably need only 2 of these made for you battle, lots of options on these guys, it can be a bit overwhelming.
6 Stealth Suits: Their fun to use, but a bit tricky as they need to be really close to the enemy.

Troops:
24 Fire Warriors: 1 squad mandatory, its probably best to make them all with pulse rifles
28 kroot: a good cheep unit, they need to be in cover, and can be used as a counter assault unit but wont last long, you can either go with the small cheep squad, or the full on 20 man squad
1 Devilfish: It can be attached to one of your FW squads so that they can quickly move about and blast enemy units when shooting twice with rapid fire.

Fast Attack:
16+ Drones: essentially FWs with jet packs, good for annoying the enemy, or deep striking
6 Vespids: fast unit with short range, they must stay in cover until they strike, and without marklight support only 6 of these guys will do minimal damage, save them to back up your other units when marines get too close.

Heavy Support:
1 Sniper Team: great against SMs, but don't let anything get close to them.
1 HammerHead Tank: You'll probably want to take this guy. Rail gun for taking out other heavy tanks, or the Ion Cannon for taking out Marines and light vehicles.

etc:
1 Shield Drone: Good for protecting what their attached too, but probably can be left out for now
2 Marker Drones: You could attach this to one of your FW units, but I think you should just avoid them now.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 06:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to uriel

With my exp with tau i would go hybrid its a nice way to find out how you want to play after a few games under your belt. I'm not gonna say awhole lot because the other guys did a great job of explaining what to do. Your next item to get would be ether a Devilfish or a Broadside suit. just remember about your kroot these guys won't last long in major drawn out fights, finesse is the key with them. Use them to capture and hold objectives, protect firebases or flanks, counter assault, or lure out a unit for a trap. And please don't go rushing up to the enemy wait for the right moment to attack a unit. Isolate the unit drop their numbers before committing an all out attack and make sure you can destroy the unit on that turn before moving on. target priority is if moves more than 6" kill it, if it assaults or able to assault kill it.

Old 11 Apr 2006, 06:05   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
When stationary field craft lets them see through 12" of woods instead of 6" so they can effectively fire out and nobody can shoot back at them.
Remember- New Codex- they don't have to be stationary anymore.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 11:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

THanks for all the help guys, i was afraid to ask because i thought someone would try to flame me and make me feel like an idiot.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 12:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by etancross
THanks for all the help guys, i was afraid to ask because i thought someone would try to flame me and make me feel like an idiot.
No problem. This is the place to ask such questions. Particularly since they arent rule based questions that can be answered by a forum search or rule book read. Your questions are more on general tactics which isnt that common really. Feel free to ask such tactical questions here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper
Remember- New Codex- they don't have to be stationary anymore.
Nifty, I must have overlooked the Kroot entry in my scan of the new dex. If I keep seeing so many jungle fight games I may just have to buy some more and try fielding them.

Closed Thread