Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Brand new, thinking of drones
Closed Thread
Old 10 Apr 2006, 11:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Brand new, thinking of drones

At the game, that is. Well, I've read plenty (though without experience some of it's probably only half-understood)...

Anyways, I ended up deciding on tau, so now I have to actually start an army. And to be honest, I'm thinking... Drones.

Lots... and lots... and lots of drones. I like the little buggers. Matter of fact I sure wouldn't mind seeing more types of them! Now I'll probably be playing mostly 1500 point games with my friends, so...

Is getting, say, 2-3 squads of them (the other fast attack choices don't seem that great; pirhanas are rather expensive and I've read a lot of negatives on paths), along with 2-3 sniper teams (1 heavy), a good idea? The points seem to be telling me yes; 2 squads + 2 teams would take just a little under 25% for plenty of things to keep the other guy busy.

Other than that... What's the point of the CIB? the rate of fire's nice, but if it has trouble wounding anything other than IG conscripts in the first place, isn't its special ability just a half-bone thrown to those choosing it?

well, hope you guys can impart some extra wisdom to me...
Old 10 Apr 2006, 11:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog
Default Re: Brand new, thinking of drones

if you want lots of drones, try equipping 6 stealthsuits with drone controllers and 2 gun drones each ( they're all protected by stealth field)
and remember vehicles come with free detatchable drones, try to take advantage of that
Old 10 Apr 2006, 12:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

A drone army........... in intruiging. As I've never used more than a squad I'm not sure if it will work or not but it's an interesting idea.......

My advice is play a few games with imaginary models (use bases) before you go out and buy tonnes of drones (you'll need to buy them off e - bay as the only way to get drones is the two in almost every box). You want to see if your army will be effective before you start buying.

I'd also recommend some Pathfinders. They can either give a BS boost to your drones or lower the enemy LD so he's vulnerable to pinning.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 10 Apr 2006, 15:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Ironman

Why, hello there! Someone else who shares my love of the mindless yet insidiously evil drones!

Chew on this if you dislike piranhas.
Each Piranha comes with 2 drones, and the unit size of a team of them is 1-5.
That's the equivalent to 10 drones for every 5 you buy, and they all can "disembark" there mounts to become a coherent unit.
This would mean that on top of the piranhas, you also have a unit of overstuffed drones!(normal unit size is 4-8, the paranah unit numbers 2-10!)
Your efficiently buying a useless fast attack choice if you take only drones, but hey, don't take my word for it...

also, you can buy single drones for a decent price on GW's website....
Old 10 Apr 2006, 15:20   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I love using squads of gun drones. They can deepstrike, have jetpack rules, and have twinlinked weapons. I usually choose two squads and deepstike them in behind enemy lines to wreak havoc. I have turned the battle in my favor a couple of times using this tactic.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 21:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron One
Why, hello there! Someone else who shares my love of the mindless yet insidiously evil drones!

Chew on this if you dislike piranhas.
Each Piranha comes with 2 drones, and the unit size of a team of them is 1-5.
That's the equivalent to 10 drones for every 5 you buy, and they all can "disembark" there mounts to become a coherent unit.
This would mean that on top of the piranhas, you also have a unit of overstuffed drones!(normal unit size is 4-8, the paranah unit numbers 2-10!)
Your efficiently buying a useless fast attack choice if you take only drones, but hey, don't take my word for it...

also, you can buy single drones for a decent price on GW's website....
There some good advice here.

Piranhas are an EXCELLENT drone delivery system. A squad of 4-5 piranhas transports a whole drone squadron with it. Because the drones are built into the cost of the piranhas this means this squad is basically "free".

Not free in that you don't pay points for it (Because you do it's built into the piranhas cost) but free in that if the enemy kills it they donít' get any Victory points!

Picture this 1 squad of 5 Piranhas, w/ fusion blasters and targeting arrays = 350 points!

Yikes that's a lot! However that includes 10 Gun drones, which are worth 120 Points.

So now the effective value of your very large and nasty piranha squadron (especially if combined with a marker light or two!) is 230, much more reasonable.

Also one thing that should not be overlooked is the drones close combat capabilities.

With I: 4, and assault weapon drones actually stand a decent chance of shooting an enemy then assaulting them and tying them up for a few turns.

Fly the piranhas to within 8" of an enemy squad. Disembark the drones. Have the drones shoot the enemy squad. The piranhas can shoot the squad or another target. Then in the assault phase the drones charge the squad they just shot at.

You're allowed to do this because piranhas are open topped, meaning troops that disembark from them can make an assault move in the same turn!

Basically the piranha is a great way to get drones, and a the squad is a 2 for 1 fast attack choice (1 choice gets you a squad of skimmers AND a squad of drones!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 23:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Ironman

Here here Brother, power to the piranhas! (and subsequently, drones...)
Old 11 Apr 2006, 00:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

well, since the general idea is to get as many drones as you can, and it seems everyone thinks the best way to do that is through pirannahs, why dont you just take 15 pirannahs as your Fast Attack choices? I personally would take 15 pirannahs, no upgrades (maybe targetting array...if you've got the points for it). this means you will have 45 burst cannon shots, and 3 ten man units of drones...thats 30 DRONES! YIKES! run them in a concentrated unit formation so they can BLAST one enemy unit apart at a time. thats 75 ST 5 shots!!!! and not to mention ALOT of wounds...id do it if i had the money...
Old 11 Apr 2006, 03:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to KevFox2169 Send a message via AIM to KevFox2169 Send a message via MSN to KevFox2169 Send a message via Yahoo to KevFox2169

Hahaha and people wonder why everyone else calls tau players cheesy. lol 30 drones!?!?!? that's vicious. Though, still a little more balanced than some of the Necron armies I've seen (sooo... if I have a lord in a destroyer body, and the remaining points used in warriors...) I must admit, I do love my drones, but mainly because of what wonderful fodder they are. but if it would clearly have its limitations. For instance : "Hello drones, my name is Papa Dreadnaught. you're all so kyoooo..." "OH MY GOD MY DRONES ARE ON FIRE!!!" And that would be the end of a drone era. Hopefully some point was made.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 03:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I do like the deepstriking drones idea though so I'd still want a free squadron for that. But thanks for the info. I guess the 2 drones/pathfinder does make them bit more attractive... I was under the impression that they were included in equipment the same way you "include" battlesuit systems... they have to be there but you pay extra.

Are there really no boxes of drone squadrons?
Closed Thread