Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Skyray vs. IonHead???
Closed Thread
Old 10 Apr 2006, 01:22   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Skyray vs. IonHead???

Howdy,
I've always run a ionhead in my 1500-2000 mech tau army, but after a little play testing I've begun to think that the skyray can deal out almost the exact same amount of damage and has alot more versitily. I dont run any other marker lights in my army, so I'm basically sacrificing 1 ion gun shot for the ability to help my other units. Just curious what you guys think.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 01:29   #2 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Re: Skyray vs. IonHead???

i think that i would go skyray

Old 10 Apr 2006, 01:36   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm still undecided. Although I would only take a Skyray if I took Pathfinders.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 01:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

well look at it in terms of shots

Maximum in a 6 turn game

Skyray = 6, Bs5, srt 8 shots

Ionhead = 18, Bs4, str 7 shots

So if your wanting to punish multiple vehicles Skyray or if you rather be more flexible and have the option to shoot at either heavy infantry or light vehicles go the Ionhead. Personally I would stick to the Ion head.

"His name doesn't make any sense! How can you be a commander, Aun AND volenteer at the same time!?!"

translated parts of suspicous conversation about the Mal'caor'la 8.05.10990
Old 10 Apr 2006, 01:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

neither, go with the railhead and take pathfinders for your markerlight needs. the skyray is actually overrated and in a few months will go the way of the dodo (my opinion) and the ionhead, while good at killing marines and MEQ can't touch the versatility of the railhead. straight up three shots versus one shot seems like a no brainer, you have to take into account what the one shot can do. against vehicles that really high strength can pop even the toughest armor, and against troops you take out the large blast template and even MEQ's die fast.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 02:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Funny, I was just working on this issue in another thread, but it seems more appropriate here. Here's what I came up with so far.

Ionhead vs Skyray:

Both are identical chassis with identical secondary weapon choices, so we'll just look at the differences.

The Skyray has those very handy BS4 networked markerlights. These 2 lights will get 8 marker hits (average) from your 'ray over the course of the game. 6 will be tied up getting those seekers launched, which only lends 2 for use with the rest of your army.

Ionhead: 18 [7/3] shots over 6 turns
Meqs = (18 shots * 4/6 to hit * 5/6 to wound * (no save) * (no WBB)) = 10 casualties
Meq Total: 10 Casualties

Necron = (18 shots * 4/6 to hit * 5/6 to wound * (no save) * 3/6 WBB) = 5 casualies
Meq Total: 5 Casualties

Skyray: 6 [8/3] shots + 2 spare Marker hits over 6 turns
Meqs (Seekers) = (6 shots * 5/6 to hit * 5/6 to wound * (no save) * (no WBB)) = 4.2 casualties
Meqs (Markers) = (2 markers * 2 extra FW hits * 4/6 to wound * 2/6 !save * (no WBB)) = .9 casualties (assuming 12 man FW squad)
Meq Total: 5 Casualties (~6 if FW in Rapid Fire range)

Necron (Seekers) = (6 shots * 5/6 to hit * 5/6 to wound * (no save) * (no WBB)) = 4.2 casualties
Necron (Markers) = (2 markers * 2 extra FW hits * 4/6 to wound * 2/6 !save * 3/6 WBB) = .45 casualties (assuming 12 man FW squad)
Necron Total: 4.5 Casualties (~5.5 if FW in Rapid Fire range)

Advantage Ionhead - due to volume of fire
The Ionhead Primary Weapon mathematically outperforms the Skyray's 6 Seeker/2 Markerlight combination by a 2:1 margin over the course of a 6 turn game vs. standard Meqs. Although mathematics can only take you so far on the battlefield, it's hard to ignore a two-fold increase in effectiveness for the same approximate points cost.

Exception - The Skyray with it's high-powered Seekers is a rounding error from dead even when facing standard Necron Warriors. I haven't run the numbers, but I'm willing to bet the Skyray is mathematically superior when dealing with other bigger, more troublesome Necron units. A trio of Skyrays, or 2 Skyrays and a Broadside squad, may be the way to go in this case.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 02:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

The Skyray isnt as straight forward as shots and kills. It is the first mobile markerlight the Tau have and as such should be used that way. Pathfinders are static and subject to assault and being forced to move. The Skyray can just drive away from assault and can fire off two markerlights a turn not counting its secondary weapons sytems, I intend to try out a skyray and may never even let one seeker fly. The Skyray is far from overrated in fact I have seen it swept under the rug, most of the attention seems focused on the new special issue wargear, Vespids and the Piranha. The Skyray is deffinetly a unit to give serious consideration and it might prove most capable in any army due to mobility which we see is much more of an acting force in fourth edition. It may in the end not prove to be worth devoting a heavy support slot for but we shall see, some hard playtesting is needed.

While the Railhead is great, I run two already and there is such a thing as too much of a good thing, Ive been playing around with my third slot for a while trying out the Ionhead (which odly never keeps its gun past turn 2 for some reason...).

Again I must stress that this is NOT a point for point kill contest between the Ionhead, Railhead and Skyray the Skyray is not really meant to be a heavy gun as the Rail or Ion but a mobile support tank would be a better thing to call it, it is in a class all its own and deeper consideration than how many marines can it kill vs the Ionhead would be advised.

Old 10 Apr 2006, 02:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Vash, I both agree and disagree.

What I've discovered with the Skyray is that it's really not as flexible as it appears to be on paper. Since the Skyray itself will only statistically provide you with 8 markerlight hits over the course of a game, and because you have 6 seeker missiles attached to your vehicle, you really only net 2 'lights PER GAME to lend to the rest of your army. :-[ Granted, you don't HAVE to use the Skyray 'lights to launch your seekers, but on the same token, you don't NEED a Skyray to field either Seeker Missiles, OR Markerlights.

Personally, I'd rather have a Pathfinder team handle the bulk of my 'lighting duties, and put seekers on my other assorted skimmers. That way, if I don't WANT 6 seekers, I can take 4 (or whatever). Also, if I absolutely MUST have a mobile markerlight platform, I'll bring Tetras.

I don't remember who's 'sig' this is from, but a Skyray is a bit of a "Spork." There are better markerlight systems. There are more flexible Seeker Carrier methods. There are even better mobile markerlight platforms.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 03:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Skyrays are to only legal mobile markerlight in the Tau army (Tetras don't count). I would use the Skyray over the Ionhead just for that purpose. Also, the Skyray is the only version of tau "artillery". Thus, in VP heavy games, where the survivbility of a model counts, the Skyray can stay hidden and pop MEQs and vechiles while taken no return fire. Can you say this about the Ionhead?
Old 10 Apr 2006, 03:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse
Skyrays are to only legal mobile markerlight in the Tau army (Tetras don't count). I would use the Skyray over the Ionhead just for that purpose. Also, the Skyray is the only version of tau "artillery". Thus, in VP heavy games, where the survivbility of a model counts, the Skyray can stay hidden and pop MEQs and vechiles while taken no return fire. Can you say this about the Ionhead?
<sigh>

Tetras are not illegal. This has been covered many times in many places. There are extremely few places that standard ForgeWorld models are not allowed. If you happen to frequent one of those (what? 4 events a year?) then don't take your FW models to those. Otherwise, they're fair game.
Closed Thread