Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pathfinders
View Poll Results: do you think pathfinders are a good choice?
good choice 18 81.82%
not good 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 09 Apr 2006, 16:04   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Pathfinders

their seem to be loads of markerlight options spread out across the armylist,so are pathfinders really nessesary now,or don't you need them now?

Answer: tomorrow
Old 09 Apr 2006, 16:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Re: pathfinders

Curious fellow arent ya?

Well, I think that they are the biggest pull in.

People with buy them for the lights, but they will have nothing to shoot at the lighted targgets.

If you want lights, get them in a differnt form, like in a FW Squad, Skyray ect.

Hope it helps,

The Mothman
Old 09 Apr 2006, 16:11   #3 (permalink)
lonely tau

they hold what is obviously an important role because while we have them all spread out through the army we are wasting shots with them, the pathfinders know that is thier role so it is not wasting points.

Old 09 Apr 2006, 16:13   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mothman
Curious fellow arent ya?

Well, I think that they are the biggest pull in.

People with buy them for the lights, but they will have nothing to shoot at the lighted targgets.

If you want lights, get them in a differnt form, like in a FW Squad, Skyray ect.

Hope it helps,

The Mothman
Yeah in 1500 point games they are a pull-in. But in 2000 points upwards, they really shine. So it depends how big is your force if you want to field those guys in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 09 Apr 2006, 16:17   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thanks ,and yes I am very curious.

Answer: tomorrow
Old 09 Apr 2006, 16:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to LtCariad

My personal feeling is that Pathfinders fill more than just the role of being "lighters" for the rest of your forces. True, they are a good source for ML's, but they also have access to Rail Rifles, which in the new codex get Target Locks without additional cost or danger (overheated earlier). Furthermore, they have a Devilfish transport which carries the added benefit of being able to re-roll Deep Strike scatters if you Deep Strike within LOS of it. I find that quite handy, since I always use a team of 5-6 drones for Deep Striking fun, plus sometimes a monat suit TL FB and MP.

And for the final icing on the cake: You get a (potentially) kitted out Devilfish (SMS and such...), 3 Rail Rifles and 5 Markerlights at the table from turn 1 in escalation scenarios!!!

If this unit of 250 points or so isn't to your liking, then you could always bring a 6 man team with just ML's and a slimmed down Devilfish to get the cheapest possible ML's. Don't forget you get a pre-game move with these guys as well. Can be vary handy.

I just love these guys since they, to me, embody the Tau art of war.
Old 09 Apr 2006, 17:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes, Pathfinders are still an essential part of the Tau army. For pure Markerlighting purposes, Pathfinders do it best for the least cost. Also considering that few people run static lists, making the other markerlight options useless (except for the Skyray, but a single Pathfinder squad with Marker Drones provides more markerlights each turn than 3 Skyrays do, and they don't take up a Heavy Support slot either). Also, as a pure Markerlight unit, Pathfinders don't have to worry about wasting shots (i.e. Markerdrones in a Fire Warrior squad waste the shots of the Fire Warriors if they mark something outside of the Fire Warriors range, or if the mark something that pulse weaponry can't hurt (or has great difficulty hurting). Again, the Skyray doesn't suffer from this problem, but it only has 2 Markerlights, so I doubt it alone will suffice for Markerlights.

So, in short, Pathfinders are still extremely valuable because they give the greatest volume of shots for their cost, in the most effective manner.
Screaming defiance with the last breath,
To spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"

Learn to shorten your reach! If your foe can come close enough to negate your striking power, all stratagem is lost, and when all stratagem is lost, the battle is lost.

Tell me now, is there a man among you here, is there no one who will stand up and try to fight? Tell me man, is there not one in all your ranks, is there no one who values courage over life?
Old 09 Apr 2006, 17:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Pathfinders

let me put it this way, in a 1000 pt battle i'll take one full unit. in a 1500 or more I take two full units. they have never failed me in any way shape or form. actually without them I wouldn't kill as much as I do in a game. I'm not impressed with the skyray, because to use it to full effect is to leave it where it can't be seen, thus negating the markerlights. and to move it so that you can use the markerlights you paint a bright big bullseye on it. Not worth it in my oppinion, better to use the heavy slots for broadsides and hammerheads. then you have the ability to buy marker drones, which is ok if you play static tau, but even then they rarely make their points back. for two of the marker drones you can afford point wise five of the pathfinders. and you have to have the model the are attached to (and the unit he's in) stay still to use the drones markerlights. at least with the pathfinders if you have to move, you can still use the pulse carbines. Lastly you have the ability to purchase a markerlight for certain "veterans" in a unit. again not worth it, you lose the ability to move with the stealth team, thus losing the first movement in your stealth unit leaving only the 6 inch jump afterwards. and as for upgrading the leader of your firewarriors, that makes you lose any chance to move them at all, including using a devilfish transport. the only firewarriors that stay still in my army are the two units set at the back as protection for my broadsides. then you need to add in the scout move that the pathfinders get to make at the beginning of the game, and your best bet with markerlights is to take a full unit of pathfinders. I only wish that you could take the full twelve in a unit instead of the measly eight your allowed
Old 09 Apr 2006, 20:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Jebz Send a message via Yahoo to Jebz

To me there is only a few bonuses that the Tau army need to take their efficiency up to top notch.

Pathfinders provide these bonuses to other units in the form of markerlights hits. I believe that a +1BS and the ability to forgo testing for target priority, as well as -Ld test give the Tau the extra edge to win in most games.

I would advice that Pathfinders should be the first choice that you write down when preparing you army list. I would take two if the army was 2000 points.
Old 09 Apr 2006, 20:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Pathfinders are awesome. So is the Skyray. Solution: take both!

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Closed Thread