View Poll Results: to take, or not to take a krootox,that is the question
krootox 10 50.00%
no krootox 10 50.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 09 Apr 2006, 13:06   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default krootox

also,as a suppliment to my previous question,is it now woth taking a krootox as they no longer take up a valuable heavy support slot and have a reasonable anti-light vehicle gun?

Answer: tomorrow
Old 09 Apr 2006, 13:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Re: krootox

The Ox is only half decent. It is still too expensive, and you cannot inflitrate with the Ox in tow.

I dont think the ox is worth it, becasue you can always use a Crisis suit with missile pod, and it works better.

Hope it helped,
Mothman
Old 09 Apr 2006, 13:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

IMO, yes. It's cheaper, and as you said no longer takes up a HS slot, AND provides a troop-choice based independently operated missile pod equivalent AT gun (the only other 'heavy' weapons that you can get on troops choices are seeker missiles, and they're one-shot, and require markerlights) - I don't see why not

The downside is still of course, that it negates infiltration, however as long as you have some decent terrain, that shouldn't be a problem.

As always, plain kroot (carnivores only) is more of a versatile unit that can do whatever is needed, being able to infiltrate, and do pretty well in not only CC but shooting. Kroot Hounds lend themselves towards combat - and so would probably make the squad combat orientated. On the other hand, Krootox make the squad more static and shooting orientated, altering the overall tactics and usage.
Old 09 Apr 2006, 13:25   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

No. They die too easily and won't let your kroots infiltrate. Besides, a Tau army have more powerful anti-vehicle guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 09 Apr 2006, 14:07   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

well, there seem to be conflicting answers here, but I think I will go with the majority in this case.

Old 09 Apr 2006, 15:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

The whole idea behind using kroot is to have an infiltrating squad, which will protect your firewarriors from being assaulted. If you use krootox you lose that ability. so i would go no.
Old 09 Apr 2006, 15:16   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to hawkmang

I would suggest that if you were going to use kroot in your army, have one squad for infiltrating (no krootox) and one squad for shooting (with krootox).

Thats just my 2 cents
Old 09 Apr 2006, 15:20   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The kroot gun also has a 48" range, and is rapid fire......I usually have 2 squads of kroot, one 8-10 with 2 Ox and one 12 -14 with 4 hounds....one infiltrates and charges, the other one lumbers its way up to where I dumped my pathfinders, giving them a nice rapid fire and CC efficient screen against the enemy foot sloggers who have made their way up to my PFs cover.

IMO the gun is kind of unnoticed by most enemies because they're kroot, and most people think "No saves, no powerful guns" and underestimate the range of the gun. I even had a guy turn a predators side armor to me as he ran along a board edge trying to flank, and was pissed when he discovered the 48"range after his tank went kaput.
Old 09 Apr 2006, 15:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

The krootox isn't really a good unit. If it joins a squad of kroot they can't infiltrate, (infiltrating means they can effectively rapid fire at enemies, and can be deployed behind cover), which are two major keys to the kroot squads survival, as they have no armour. The two things people say kroot are worthwhile for are their strength in close combat, and their giant kroot guns. What you need to think about are two things, krootox might be strong in close combat, but they won't always make it into close combat, and if they do they probably won't go first, (low initiative), they have no armour, (so no saves), and aren't anywhere as tough as they are strong, (easily wounded). Next thing, they aren't too good at long range, they have only average BS, therefore they most likely won't hit, (the kroot gun doesn't have multiple shots).
Their one effective tactica: You can have a small group of kroot, (10 or so), and a few krootox, (the combined efforts of 2-3 krootox can kill a marine or two a turn), and a larger squad, (12-20 kroot), infiltrating with a few kroot hounds. I still don't find Krootox a useful unit, but they're okay if used correctly.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 09 Apr 2006, 15:42   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

well after all this complaining, krootox seem very bad indeed.I will leave them well alone.

Closed Thread