Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

If the Tau place the Greater Good above themselves...
Closed Thread
Old 09 Apr 2006, 00:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default If the Tau place the Greater Good above themselves...

I've been wondering. Tau are obsessed with the whole "Greater Good" thing, are they not? So wouldn't it be for the Greater Good, if say a Hammerhead unloads a submunitions round into a small unit of fire warriors locked in close combat with a horde of nids? We sacrifice a little, to preserve the overarching battle plan. I'd say those fire warriors would have been glad to tie up some nids before a couple of railheads blasted them all to Tau heaven.

Which is why I say the rule about not being able to fire into units locked in CC shouldn't apply for Tau, since really very individualism in Tau anyway. The same should be for the imperial guard, since when was the last time an IG commander valued individual guardsmen? if there's five IG soldiers left after a furious assault by some choppa boyz, the smart thing to do would be to tell those Leman Russ tanks to open up and send them to their respective makers, not to wait until the guardsmen have been slaughtered already.

That's my little rant on the stupid rules about not being able to fire into CC. I've lost too many games where a couple of dark eldar charges my fire warriors, kills all but like three (and thanks to my shas'ui they stand their ground), then finishes them off on my turn, so they charge into another squad of warriors the next turn. it's just ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 09 Apr 2006, 01:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: If the Tau place the Greater Good above themselves...

Being able to fire into CC would be a big change to overall game mechanics. The question would arise - if one army can do it - why can't others? Other armies would have equally viable justifications for being able to do so. And so it's not allowed across the board, for all armies - it more or less adds to the tactical side of the game - CC can be used to protect units from incoming fire, and should be avoided for those who want to be able to shoot.

In the above hypothetical, the Tau would not needlessly sacrifice the lives of their troopers. And also 'friendly' fire is something they just don't do. I guess from a fluff perspective - killing another Tau could also be seen as a return to the era of the Mont'au.
Old 09 Apr 2006, 01:14   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
I've been wondering. Tau are obsessed with the whole "Greater Good" thing, are they not? So wouldn't it be for the Greater Good, if say a Hammerhead unloads a submunitions round into a small unit of fire warriors locked in close combat with a horde of nids? We sacrifice a little, to preserve the overarching battle plan. I'd say those fire warriors would have been glad to tie up some nids before a couple of railheads blasted them all to Tau heaven.

Which is why I say the rule about not being able to fire into units locked in CC shouldn't apply for Tau, since really very individualism in Tau anyway. The same should be for the imperial guard, since when was the last time an IG commander valued individual guardsmen? if there's five IG soldiers left after a furious assault by some choppa boyz, the smart thing to do would be to tell those Leman Russ tanks to open up and send them to their respective makers, not to wait until the guardsmen have been slaughtered already.

That's my little rant on the stupid rules about not being able to fire into CC. I've lost too many games where a couple of dark eldar charges my fire warriors, kills all but like three (and thanks to my shas'ui they stand their ground), then finishes them off on my turn, so they charge into another squad of warriors the next turn. it's just ridiculous.
Close-combat armies use the assault phase for protection. If you take that away, there really isn't any point to close-combat instead of short-range shooting. For balance reasons, this just wouldn't work.
Old 09 Apr 2006, 01:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I agree with .mace and Khanaris - not only is it unbalancing, if you take it away for Tau, you have to for everyone else.

Tyranids - expendable bio-constructs.
Orks - dere's alwayz more boyz!
Guard - war of atrition.
Dark Eldar - considering 'friendly fire' and 'career advancement' come under the same entry of the Cormograth Lexicon...

Perhaps the only races I wouldn't see doing this are Eldar and Space Marines...
Old 09 Apr 2006, 01:32   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

the only other MAJOR problem with this is that the tau also have the principle that no tau life is expendable as detailed in the codex. so to fire a submunition round into a group of fire warriors wouldn't really serve that greater good as much as say firing the solid shot at a carnifex.there r too many contradictions to really justify ever killing another friendly tau. even though i agree that the tau that are being ripped to shreds by genestealers might wanna die quick its still wouldn't progress the movement of the greater good any further in fact like one of the ppl said on this thread killing other tau might lead to the fancy word for civil war and dark times in tau language.
Old 09 Apr 2006, 03:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Rechar Send a message via Yahoo to Rechar

Friendly Fire....

A leadership test must be taken for any unit wishing to fire into close combat. This test is modified by -3. Even units not typically required to take leadership tests must do so (vehicles pass on 6)...its simply demoralizing to fire into your own men, no matter who you are. Failed tests result in loss of fire for the unit that turn.

Should the unit pass then roll to hit as normal. Wounds are then rolled against the highest toughness present in combat.

All wounds are divided equally between all units locked in combat, with any remainders being attributed to the firing sides units.

Take saves as Normal.

Leadership tests for casualties are ignored by the opposing side, where as any tests taken by the firing sides units suffer a -3 to leadership as they realize they have been labelled "expendable".

Should any unit in combat be destroyed from Friendly Fire and subsequently end the combat the opposing units remaining may make a standard consolidate move. If the Defending unit is the last survivor, they make a standard fallback move and are subsequently unable to regroup, even if they normally would be able too. They are fleeing the battle.

...there you have it, Rechars 40k duct-tape rules for Friendly fire.

Hard to do, lower chance of wounding, many negative effects for firing side only.

"Just as the chaotic nature of these aliens is anathema to we of the Empire, so it is that the Tau'va is abhorent to them. They have no capacity to accept such glory and should be kulled so the Empires efforts may be spent in a more productive manner." attributed - Shas'O Rech'Ar
Old 09 Apr 2006, 04:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Earlydawn

Yeah, it's entirely game balance. There's actually no reason for ANY race to deny dropping fire into their own lines save the Eldar.