Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

the other side of the fence
Closed Thread
Old 08 Apr 2006, 23:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default the other side of the fence

I played my first ever game against tau today, not too many tau players besides me in my area.* It was different.* Tau won, by the way.* I played marines.

Some things I noticed:

skimmers are intimidating to shoot at, even the lowly devilfish.* The only ones I managed to bring down the entire game were on turn one, because I got first turn.

Pulse rifles might not be efficient at killing marines, but they are effective.* Facing 38 S5 shots tends to get ugly.* I failed four saves on that one.

In hand to hand, power armored marines are more effective than terminators at killing tau.* The power armored terminator sergeant, for example, has an additional attack that the terminator armor sergeant lacks.* Then, the normal marines get a 3-1 advantage in wounds per point and 3-2 in attacks...powerfists are a liability against fire warriors, anyway.

Stealth suits rock.* My plasma cannon fire support squad was able to see the guy's suits exactly once the whole game (and smurfed three, hehe), yet the suits were able to shoot every turn (not always at that squad).

Even with a 3+ save, submunitions are nasty against marines.

Chaplains with artificer armor are really really hard to kill (mine absorbed two rail gun shots and about 99999999999 pulse shots before a SMS finally brought him down).

The multiple wounds on crisis suits are annoying to the other player. But they still die too easily...unless they are ICs.

When facing kroot, whirlwinds are your friends (I think mine killed all but one model in a 20-man squad...in two turns...in cover)

With 7 armor penetrating shots, Tornadoes are deadly against fire warriors.* But virtually everything the tau field can bring it down.

It's foolish to take 2 gun drones (HWDC) in a stealth squad, since the stealths end up shielding them...okay, we all knew that already, but my opponent learned the hard way.

People don't bother reading the rulebook. Two supposed veterans at another table thought the winner of an assault could pursue even with base to base contact being broken. My opponent thought he could shoot through a 4" piece of area terrain (neither target nor shooters were in the terrain)..."but the part I want to shoot through doesn't actually have any ruins"...yes, but area terrain is defined by the base, not the structure on the base...duh.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 09 Apr 2006, 00:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: the other side of the fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k

It's foolish to take 2 gun drones (HWDC) in a stealth squad, since the stealths end up shielding them...okay, we all knew that already, but my opponent learned the hard way.

People don't bother reading the rulebook. Two supposed veterans at another table thought the winner of an assault could pursue even with base to base contact being broken. My opponent thought he could shoot through a 4" piece of area terrain (neither target nor shooters were in the terrain)..."but the part I want to shoot through doesn't actually have any ruins"...yes, but area terrain is defined by the base, not the structure on the base...duh.
Okay, I don't really get why it's foolish to take drones in a stealth team if they end up being shielded. Can you explain?

Also, haha, my friends and I play with the "terrain defined by structure" rule. We're literal people. We also use it to eliminate the best excuse for "why i didn't win" in post-game trash talk, which is "GW f*cked up on the rules real bad".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 09 Apr 2006, 00:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I personally think there is great value in playing against your preferred army from time to time. Not only does it give you a good showing of the strengths of your army, but your opponent may have a trick up his sleeve that you never even thought of before!

I know this happened with my IW army. Once in a tourney, I got matched up with another IW player in the last round. Never before had I even considered the (somewhat obvious in hindsight) tactic of hiding obliterators behind terrain setup and walking them up with Slow and Purposeful in turn 1. Now I do it all the time!
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 09 Apr 2006, 11:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

So true about knowing your enemy. I played against another Tau player and it was a great experience. He used different tactics so it was interesting to see them in action.

It is also great experience playing as your preferred enemy, mine is MEQs.

I started out playing Spaces Wolves in 2ed. So I had quite a bit of experience playing marines, at least the wolf kind. Playing Tau back when I first started was very different, it was everything I really wanted my Wolves to be. So built up my Tau Army.

So, now having played Tau for almost two years now, I went back to play my Wolves and found myself playing them differently.

Playing two completely different armies has help me. When playing Tau I know what my marine playing opponent wants to do, so I counter his tactics.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 09 Apr 2006, 20:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Also, haha, my friends and I play with the "terrain defined by structure" rule. We're literal people. We also use it to eliminate the best excuse for "why i didn't win" in post-game trash talk, which is "GW f*cked up on the rules real bad".
my freinds and gaming groups are simalar because we have terrian built into the broads so there is no base. and hole thing of not being able to see thought terrain 1" of terrian rule is very silly as well when if it was 6" worth of terrian i would have been able to shoot him. solution use the advance terrian rules in the catchins codex on line
Closed Thread