Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vespid special tactics?
Closed Thread
Old 08 Apr 2006, 17:47   #1 (permalink)
SGS
Shas'La

Default Vespid special tactics?

As people have said; Vespids will most likely be assulted by any unit that they shoot. Therefore they need special tactics, or will only be good for Kill Team.

Why not just modify the FoF tacic, with any empty DF (the one that came with the Pathfinder Team comes to mind) or even a Piranah or 2. Jump the vespids out of some cover, behind the skimmer, let fly, and run like a whiped Welshman (no offence) in the next turn.

I haven't tried this yet, but if anyone gets a chance with their shinny new vespids(gruble grumle) please let me know how you did.

Sale or trade DE wyches, Wood Elf Waywatchers, and more: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,92810.0.html
Old 08 Apr 2006, 18:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Vespid special tactics?

charge ha if your lucky you be charge if your unlucky you will be rapid fired by bolters!

you need to keep them in cover then get them to attack units which are vurable to being wipe out by 1 single shooting phase or 1 shooting phase and 2 CC phase perfrable. they should never end a turn out of Cover inless there is no one to shoot at them
Old 08 Apr 2006, 18:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Jebz Send a message via Yahoo to Jebz

Quote:
As people have said; Vespids will most likely be assaulted by any unit that they shoot. Therefore they need special tactics, or will only be good for Kill Team.
Quote:
Why not just modify the FoF tacic, with any empty DF (the one that came with the Pathfinder Team comes to mind)
This is an approach that could be easily adapted to Vespid at no additional cost as you use the Fish of the Pathfinders.

Quote:
or even a Piranha or 2.
I am unsure of this as I don't know about Piranha as yet. Some are so for them, others against. I will concider them if they can provide my army with something that I do not already have or can show improve on a similar unit already in my army.

Quote:
Jump the vespids out of some cover, behind the skimmer, let fly, and run like a whiped Welshman (no offence) in the next turn.
You could even run them up from 12" away to sit behind the fish and still fire at 12" in total. 24" range to end up with probably killing around 3.3 MEQ on average.

Quote:
I haven't tried this yet, but if anyone gets a chance with their shinny new vespids(gruble grumle) please let me know how you did.

I will be trialing this sort of approach with my Vespid to see if it works.
Old 08 Apr 2006, 19:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

one alternative (albeit expensive) is to use 2 maxed out squads of vespids and take pathfinders

find an isolated unit and jump to it markerlight it and then kill it-hitting on 2 killing on 3's is going to demoralize any SM player-go kill the veteran squad or the devastators as the AP3 will make the SM players nervous -though this means they may well commit a lot of firepower to them this mean s the rest of your army is unscathed but is an expensive loss

I used Sm's as an example here as it seems that's what they were created for

I, however don't have vespids in my army yet but may add some later if I can incorporate it into my background
Old 08 Apr 2006, 20:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGS
Why not just modify the FoF tacic, with any empty DF (the one that came with the Pathfinder Team comes to mind) or even a Piranah or 2. Jump the vespids out of some cover, behind the skimmer, let fly, and run like a whiped Welshman (no offence) in the next turn.
attualy i've thought about what you said again but if you keep the vespids in cover and use a skimmer to block assults it would work. i would suggest a skyray and vespid tag team

you run the sky ray to block assult and give middle fire protection due to targeting tests. then run the vespids in the cover behind the sky ray. then strike. then easly survie next turn then run off to the next target.
Old 08 Apr 2006, 20:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Try getting them into some good cover and using them as a terror tactic... If they are there, would you send your expensive assaullt Marines near them? Would you send any high point low save unit near something that could potentially kill it easily?

If you use your vespids tactically, rather than aggressively, they may make your opponent make some mistakes and move one of units in a different direction to which he was planning. You might even be able to keep the cover the Vespids have gotten to rapidly if you help the Vespids with Hammerheads or other weaponry.