Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fragmentation Or Ion Blaster?
Closed Thread
Old 07 Apr 2006, 16:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to XV-88
Default Fragmentation Or Ion Blaster?

okay, I'm deciding on the wargear of my shas'o for a tourney tomorrow, I'm buying the model asap (doesn't need to be painted thank god) and I am having a plasma rifle and retro thrusters with either a Cylic Ion Blaster or a Airbursting Fragmentation projector. my entire army is pretty much balanced for swarm, tank and monstrous creature army's, I want to have a balanced shas'o as well, any thoughts?
Old 07 Apr 2006, 17:16   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Fragmentation Or Ion Blaster?

Between the two I would say the Cyclic Ion Blaster. Why? This is because the Shas'os' Bs can make use of it better. If you have the cyclic Ion Blaster on the Shas'o, You would hit almost all the time. After than the only part you have to worry is the wounding part.

Whereas the Airburst Fragmentation Projector does not benefit from the shas'os' Bs. Hey, It actually doesn't even rely on Bs. This is because it is a barrage weapon. That means a scatter dice and 2D6. Also for a weapon that won't go you way often, it have a rather short-range.Ah, you might want to say "But the Cyclic Ion Blaster also have a similiar range? ". Yeah, they have almost the same range, but the CIB will hit better than your AFP. With the CIB, you can predict that it will hit(some will , some don't) whereas the AFP is all about superluck. You scatter the shot, it could fly anywhere.

My shas'o have a plasma rifle and a CIB. It worked better than the AFB. But I don't mean to say that the AFB is not good. It is good, with strengh of shots better than the cyclic ion blaster. AFP is actually better to be armed on a bodyguard or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 17:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree that the cyclic is the better choice, but you're wrong about the frag using 2d6 scatter...that's only if it lacks LOS. If it can see the target, it's 1d6...and if it can't see the target, the cyclic wouldn't be able to shoot anyway. Frag would be nice if you had bodyguards with frag...three templates? you're bound to hit, probably twice! But for a monat? cyclic all the way.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 07 Apr 2006, 17:35   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to XV-88

okay so my tau commander is now

Tau Shas’o
· Cylic Ion Blaster
· Plasma Rifle
· Missile Pod
· Hard Wired Multi Tracker
· Vectored Retro Thrusters
137pts

okay so are there any other things i left out that would help me? i am considering replacing the missile pod with a shield generator what do you think?
Old 07 Apr 2006, 17:56   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Get him the stimulant injector. That will save his sorry lil' behind of his. it is also save to get him a iridium armour if you are going with this combination.

But personally I would dump the VRt witha shield generator. This is my commander. Hope it give you some idea.

HQ
Shas'o
Plasma rifle
CIB
Shield generator
stimulant injector
Hw multi-tracker

Total - 145 pts.

He is cheap and very survivable. Have survived* few dozen shots and several assaults. He have mowed down a dread, eldar falcon, 2 squads of terminators, few dozen SMurfs, Nurgle daemon prince, and few other nasties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 20:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would go with the fragmentation projector in almost all scenarios. It doesnt matter is a Shas'O can get 4 out of 5 hits with the ion blaster, the frag projector can get as many models as fit under a pie plate, and it nukes cover. In addition, you can shoot it without LoS, which can give you a severe advantage over assaulty armies if you play it correctly
Old 07 Apr 2006, 21:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius

If your versing swarms and lots lil gits the extra armour piercing point with help, and S3 is generally enough to give you a good chance to get a few wounds in, plus 5 shots at 2+ to hit, ouch!

I'd drop the vectored retro thrusters though, not much use at all. Iridium armour is good, but if you want him to utilise the JSJ tactic, this may not be your best option. A shield gen will give him a chance against low AP, wheres shield drones would take away independant status. Stims are good though, statistically doubling his wounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XV-88
Tau Shas?o
· Cylic Ion Blaster
· Plasma Rifle
· Missile Pod
· Hard Wired Multi Tracker
· Vectored Retro Thrusters
137pts
You've given him 3 weapon systems and 1 support, he's only allowed to fill 3 hard points so you'll have to loose something sorry!

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 07 Apr 2006, 21:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Take both!

Shas´O picks the Blaster while a Shas´vre commanding a Crisis team takes the AFL.

I figure that in a cityfight, those airbursts will be sweet... ;D

My blog: http://mattiknife.wordpress.com
Old 07 Apr 2006, 22:34   #9 (permalink)
lonely tau

that is a good setup but i personally like this one better
Shas'O
Cyclic ion blaster
iridium armour
Stimulant injector
shield dronesx2 (plus hard wired controler if you didnt figure that out :P )
missle pod
multi tracker
167 points if i calculated it correctly.

if you have the points then i would feild it but otherwise you should go for one of the other ones...

Old 07 Apr 2006, 22:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Lonely Tau: I personally don't like that configuration at all. Sure, it will be a nightmare to kill but how useful will it be? It's also way too many points for something that can be instant - killed (if a Devastator Squad or Havocs fire at you those drones won't last long). He's also too slow. Espescially for a model without Vectored Retro Thrusters. Once he's charged, he's useless.

XV88 - I think the configuration you have is a good one. Clever use of VRT and Independent Character status should keep him out of trouble. And the plasma rifle/cyclic Ion Blaster combo will give most units headaches. Remember, VRT can be used offensivley! Charge something weak like Rangers or Guardians to gain immunity from fire. Or throw your Shas'O at some Gaunts to keep them from munching on your Fire Warriors.

If you are going to use him aggressivley, I'd definetley recommend the Stimulant Injector. If not, it dosen't matter quite as much.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Closed Thread