Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Broadside - Plasma or SMS?
View Poll Results: Which option do you take?
Depends who I'm versing 3 16.67%
SMS 13 72.22%
Depends who I'm versing 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 07 Apr 2006, 13:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius
Default Broadside - Plasma or SMS?

Do you give your braaodsides plasma or SMS. It doesnt matter wh I verse mine always have an SMS system, I just dont see the 10pts extra worth it - heres why:

With A.S.S. braodisdes can move and still shoot, like they could with any plasma normally. The railgun is stronger and lower AP than the plasma could be for the same range, so I'd always chose this one. I try to never let the enemy get within 12" of the broadisde, because then hes more than likely to be charged, so rapid fire rarely ever some into game plans. The sms however grants him a little diversity, and a team of 2 have 10 shots, enough to take out most stalkers on the other side of the bush.

Whats your set-up?

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 07 Apr 2006, 13:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Broadside - Plasma or SMS

I take plasma, not only does it look better on the model, I just don't seem the effectiveness of the SMS on a broadside, it's a good weapon, but it just doesn't pierce any armour, and isn't that what broadsides are supposed to do? Taking out tanks, and highly armoured troops?
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 13:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius

I suppose with a multi tracker it might be beneficial, but then you'd have to fire at what the braodside was, and the railgun will probably obliterate the target so the plasma shot will be wasted anyway.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 07 Apr 2006, 13:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

SMS so far, just because it's the stock kit. And that was what I put on my first broadside. However I am considering Plasma on this second broadside - though I would think that it depends really on what army I'm playing against. Though to me, the no-LOS-needed bit for the SMS wins out.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 13:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I equiped my broadside team leader with plasma, so he could take the HW multtracker, and still have my team equipped with A.S.S. as well as 2 shield drones. I play a hybrid army, and this broadside team is usually inbetween 2 groups of firewarriors. This helps him take out any deepstriking heavies (such as terminators, or flayed ones) and assulty marines that get close to my static force.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 14:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

With the Adavanced Stabilisation System, I'd say SMS all the way. Railguns are for armour but with two or three suits the SMS kicks up a lot of firepower - potentially the same as another fire warrior squad at the same range with no LOS. I consider it more a defensive thing - because my broadsides tend to try to snipe at tanks rather than standing in the open it does make it a lot easier for things to sneak up on them. However anything short of a large assault squad needs to take a bit of care when the broadsides can fire 12 S5 shots whilst you can't even see them.

I think Plasma would mean taking a multi-tracker to really be effective and that prevents you taking the stabilisation system.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 14:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastyfish
With the Adavanced Stabilisation System, I'd say SMS all the way. Railguns are for armour but with two or three suits the SMS kicks up a lot of firepower - potentially the same as another fire warrior squad at the same range with no LOS. I consider it more a defensive thing - because my broadsides tend to try to snipe at tanks rather than standing in the open it does make it a lot easier for things to sneak up on them. However anything short of a large assault squad needs to take a bit of care when the broadsides can fire 12 S5 shots whilst you can't even see them.

I think Plasma would mean taking a multi-tracker to really be effective and that prevents you taking the stabilisation system.
Thus you hardwire the Multitracker.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 14:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Only if you are taking a single broadside, if you have more than one then I don't think the plasma is worth it. Either you can move and fire the rail guns at the closing enemy, or you could fire the plasma (which doesn't need A.S.S) so it would probably work out better to get a multitracker anyway (seeing as if you are kitting it out with these two you arn't going to have a problem finding a target).
Old 07 Apr 2006, 14:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Broadside - Plasma or SMS?

My broadside team has 2 models in it. Only the team leader is taking plasma.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 14:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Broadside - Plasma or SMS?

Fair enough, I don't like arming models in a unit differently as I feel it dilutes the effectiveness against a target down. Do you find that the extra plasma actually comes in useful, I wouldn't have thought it really as enough of an effect on its own to compensate for the loss of the artilery fire of the SMS (especially as it costs a bit extra and to outperform the SMS even against marines you need to be within assault range next turn).
Closed Thread