Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Finally got to play test the skyray.... and boy am I happy!
Closed Thread
Old 07 Apr 2006, 11:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Finally got to play test the skyray.... and boy am I happy!

Had a 1,500 point game against black templars the other nights, using this army: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=21824.0

The battle went rather well, but i did lose a devilfish, 3 firewarriors and some drones. But hey, i guess you can't have it all (although i damn near did). Using a hammerhead as proxy for my skyray proved to be a very good idea

Not only did launch onto the table in turn 2 (we were playing with escalation.... meh at first) but it then proceeded to markerlight and burst cannon everything to death. The combo between pathfinders and skyray allows you mark 3 targets a turn and just let rip. I mean i was forcing the guy to take 11 armour saves from my ML guided firewarriors. entire squads dissapeared into thin air!

The best thing about it though, is that it doesnt have a railgun. My skyray was not shot at once during the entire game, as my enemy was way to busy trying to kill my devilfishes, broadsides (hehe guys wasted 1 out of his 2 lascannon shots on my broadsides with shield drones ) and my ionhead (hohoho AP is king).

I see the skyray as flying in the middle of your army, fighting 2-3 units at the same time in conjunction with other squads. For a fast mechanised force the skyray is so chock-full of opportunities of boosting you other units that it changes your army. Instead of being a kind of floating imperial guard only hitting half the time, it plays more like an eldar army, and its REALLY annoying for your opponent to hear that those 3 crisis suits with burst cannons and missile pods are hitting on 2s, or those 11 rapid firing fire-warriors, or the giant ion cannon and burst cannons hitting on 2s.

Another little trick i found is that you should use your skyray markerlights before your pathfinder markerlights, cause then you can use those 1-2 hits to reduce the LD of any pinning checks your pathfinder rail rifles will force.

So, in my opinion, that vital 3rd heavy support choice should go to the skyray, and not the drones or a 3rd hammerhead (or 2nd broadside unit)
Old 07 Apr 2006, 13:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Finally got to play test the skyray.... and boy am I happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolflame616
Had a 1,500 point game against black templars the other nights, using this army: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=21824.0

The battle went rather well, but i did lose a devilfish, 3 firewarriors and some drones. But hey, i guess you can't have it all (although i damn near did). Using a hammerhead as proxy for my skyray proved to be a very good idea
Well, in a 1500 point game, losing a devilfish, and a couple firewarriors doesn't really matter, it's only around 200 points.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 13:25   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Man, I wish I had that kind of luck in a 1,500 point game.

I usually never have any luck with markerlights since I don't take enough of em. I guess I am gonna have to bite the bullet and buy a pathfinder team now that the markerlights are so good.

Did you give the Skyray landing gear, or move it more than six inches per turn? I can't believe he couldn't hit that.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 23:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

@ Toastmaster:

Was being a little sarcastic there, doesnt translate well into text-based media. I thouroughly spanked the guy around like a little schoolgirl, but i always love those super no-casualty or <5 infantry casualty games

By the time we had to call it quits when the store closed (turn 5) i had killed:
10 man strong command squad
12 man strong CC squad
10 man strong tactical squad
4 assault marines

leaving the rest to be 1 damaged predator, 1 stunned dreadnought, 6 assault marines, an emperors champion (in the middle of the battlefield about 6" from my plasma gun wielding commander) and a tactical squad (stuck behind a building with no LOS)

@ Slugworth:

No, i went for the multi tracker + fast movement option. The fact that he didnt shoot at it is cause he only had 3 ranged anti-tank weapons (2 of which i destroyed) and he was too busy killing shield drones or tryna kill a devilfish (3 rounds of concentrated fire, meant my crisis suits could deepstrike unharmed) and compared to things like broadside, hammerheads, stealth & crisis teams, a tank with 2 guns which dont actually cause any physical damage makes it seem like a low-level threat.

of course if i could find guy at my local shop that even knew how to write an army list (its a big step down from the london plaza store, the guys there have f*cking HARD armies, and they play like deamons) and play ed like he meant it, my skyray might have taken a shot or too (even then its still a hammerhead chassis so it can take a pounding, specially with weapons that cant be destroyed)

either way, its a great tank and i hope everyone at least gives it a try in their next game.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 23:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

*Cutting up army list, dropping Ionhead, replacing 2nd Pathfinder team with Pirranahs*

Capt. Kickass returns!

This really made me believe.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 07 Apr 2006, 23:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

2 Fusion blaster piranhas + 2 mobile markerlights with target locks = up to 2 dead landraiders a turn.
Old 08 Apr 2006, 00:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolflame616
of course if i could find guy at my local shop that even knew how to write an army list (its a big step down from the london plaza store, the guys there have f*cking HARD armies, and they play like deamons)
you play at the plaza cool i go there some times but not so recently.

so what happened with its seekers?

Old 08 Apr 2006, 01:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I agree that the Skyray looks like a pretty effective weapon. Personally, I prefer a Forgeworld Tetra solution to the Skyray. It does all the same stuff for about the same cost, only without taking a Heavy slot.

For example:

Coolflame's kitted Skyray: 155pts
vs.
2x Tetra (+TA) & 6 Seeker Missiles (on 3-6 other skimmers): 170 pts

Advantages for Skyray:
1) Better Armour: It's a Hammerhead Chassis, so has the same tough armour
2) Better Secondary Weapon: Either dual Burst Cannons or SMS (4-6 shots vs 2 from Tetra solution)
3) Cheaper: The Tetra solution usually costs 5-15 points more for similar number of MLs & SMs
4) GW model: Less expensive, and can be used in every tourny (Tetras are excluded from Games Day Tournaments)

Advantages for Tetra:
1) Doesn't take up Heavy Slot: Fast Attack slots are typically underused in a Tau list
2) Modular pt1: Can be fielded as 'monat', limiting risk, and increasing number of scoring units
3) Modular pt2: The Tetra 'system' is more flexible in number of markerlights & seekers
4) Longer range: Secondary weapon, though with fewer shots, is longer range and more accurate.
5) Fast: A full-blown fast skimmer.
6) Scout: Just like a Pathfinder squad, it gets the pre-game move, and almost always starts on the table.

Observations:
I've never lost a Tetra in combat. It's very rarely ever shot at, and it's just tough enough to survive the occassional 'shots of opportunity' that are sent it's way. It's a very flexible markerlight system, and paired with a Pathfinder Squad with Rail Rifles and a pair of seekers on the 'fish, you get some serious and incredibly accurate firepower right from the start. It's a beautiful combination. Also, since I don't participate in GW Game Day Tournaments (too far away), I'm free to play these little beauties without 'requiring' to get permission from my opponent.
Old 08 Apr 2006, 08:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas lyn
1) Doesn't take up Heavy Slot: Fast Attack slots are typically underused in a Tau list#
erm there are pirhanas, gun drones, vespids and pirhanas. fighting for that slot.

also my expecience is that markerlights take a extereme amount of damage so the sky ray a better choice for me
Old 08 Apr 2006, 15:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Regarding Tetras, I was unhappy they didn't make the new codex. Fast, mobile markerlights, with all the advantages that Shas lyn mentioned. I haven't tried them out, but they look good!
Closed Thread