Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau on the aggressive...experimenting a new playstyle
Closed Thread
Old 07 Apr 2006, 11:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau on the aggressive...experimenting a new playstyle

Hi all fellows commanders....

Last night i was thinking of re-think my playstyle...just for fun.

I want to try a more aggressive style.
So i'm gonna write my aggressive list right now and write all the reasoning to my choices...se if you think it can work.

HQ:
The mandatory commander is always a good choice... A way to make this unit aggressive is deep strike, but i find it too much a risk. Another way could be giving him Stim injector/Iridiumplate and vectored thruster... I never tried it.
For now i'll stick with a classic 'El with plasma/pod/multitracker

Shas'EL - Plasma/missiles/multitracker 87 pts

ELITE:
I think stealth are really important for an aggressive playstyle.... So i'll take 2 quite damaging teams. I choose a team of 4 with TA and a team of 6.

4 Stealth, TA 160 pts
6 Steath 180 pts

TROOPS:
Fire warriors are mandatory, and the only way to make them aggressive is called "devilsifh", So i'll take a 10 man team with DF, not to waste too many points and still treath enemy lines...

The second troop choice are without doubt the kroot! I think they work well in combination with stealth and vespids, and i want some CC punch. I'll take 1 or 2 team of 10 kroot+6 hound+shaper

10 FW
DF /w DL/MT/TA 200 pts

10 Kroot + shaper 127
+6 hound

FAST ATTACK:
In such an aggressive style i can't leave the vespid home! With their low Bs they need quite a large number to be effective. I'll take max, 10 + strain leader. I think this unit can reach its target quite fast, and used in combination with kroot and stealth can be dangerous. A combined fire from 6 Stealht and vespid followed by assault can hurt quite a bit i think.
The same is said for kroot.
As second FA choice i never leave home a unit of Deep gun drones... they'll help me keep the initiative by my side too..

10 vepid + leader 186 pts
6 Gun drones 72 pts

HEAVY SUPPORT
To mantain high initiative and keep aggressive i'll need mobility.
So Hammerhead comes to mind. Skyray would be a good choice too because vespid with Markerlight are a real pain!
I need railgun first of all. 2 Railheads will do the job.

RailHead: Rail/B.cannons/MT/DL 165 pts
RailHead: Rail/B.cannons/MT/DL 165 pts
Skyray: SMS/MT/DL 160 pts

Do you think this style of play can work?
I see great potential for vespid in this typo list.... Don't you think...gimme your opinions 8) 8)

Now that's my take and my view.... Now i want to know... How do you think tau should play on the aggressive?
I keep hearing tau are effective on Mont'ka such as on Kauyion....
Let me see how an effective Mont'Ka can be afforded

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 07 Apr 2006, 11:41   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Tau on the aggressive...sperimenting a new playstyle

Consider throwing in some flamer/PR crises suits. These have an incredibly high damage output in close.

Support them with vespid (to shoot and charge anything threatening the suits) and your on to a winner.

A recent tactic, espoused by tonka, is equiping a devilfish with a disruption pod and landing it in a location so as to block LOS to your agressive units. May play well with your style.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 12:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Personally, I don't like Iridium Armor for Shas'el/O's. J-S-J is just too useful of a tacitic for to me sacrafice it. I plan to jump both ways 6", and when you can't be targetted, what's the need for a 2+ armor save? ;D

Otherwise the rest looks good... but what about Pathfinders and Pirhana's? The Pirhana is one the best objective-capturing unit in the game... last second Turbo Boost. Plus, it's a pretty good Fast vehicle, and the only one we have.

I'd get more markerlights, in the form of Pathfinders. With Firewarrior shooting, you can always use more precision. 10 FW's with two Markerlight tokens rapid firing are beastly... I wiped out a five man Termie squad recently with that.

Kroot are a great unit overall, and are great w/ infiltrate.

Good luck!
Old 07 Apr 2006, 12:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickback79
Personally, I don't like Iridium Armor for Shas'el/O's. J-S-J is just too useful of a tacitic for to me sacrafice it. I plan to jump both ways 6", and when you can't be targetted, what's the need for a 2+ armor save? ;D

I understand the need of the J-S-J tactic, but I tried out the iridium armour in a few battles, and I got decent rolls for my assault phase, (the jump back into cover stage), usually consisting of 5s. So really I only moved out a little further then I moved in, it's a good upgrade, its just a risk.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 13:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Tau on the aggressive...experimenting a new playstyle

Well this list looks almost like a mechanised list.

However I have one big question: Where are your troops? You've spent less than 400 points on them! You only have one devilfish! ACK! More troops! More troops!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 14:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratbag
Consider throwing in some flamer/PR crises suits. These have an incredibly high damage output in close.

Support them with vespid (to shoot and charge anything threatening the suits) and your on to a winner.

A recent tactic, espoused by tonka, is equiping a devilfish with a disruption pod and landing it in a location so as to block LOS to your agressive units. May play well with your style.
My mech tau selection has 2 teams of 2 of these guys. Talk about damage! You can wipe a marine squad/termagaunt brood/tyrandi warrior brood/necron squad ect off the board easily with these guys. Trick is to get close, and they wont be too worried about your crisis suits if they see 4-6 skimmers on the board all at once.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 14:04   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Needs at least one more squad of Firewarriors and another Devilfish.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 14:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

So all of you seems to think i need another FW team... but no one says why...

So what to give up for another FW team? I think the skyray it's a good candidate...
The problem is that...i like the markerlight effect on units as stingwings and dropped fire warriors.

This change will leave me with 40 points over....what else can i get rid of?
Are you sure i need another fish?

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 07 Apr 2006, 14:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

erm... i've been playing this sort of tau for a long time now... and the new codex has made things all that more effective!!!!

in short, i know from first hand experience that it can really work.

the stealth teams are a real pain in the butt for most opponents... they just get really annoyed with them!!! i usually use two teams of five... and always bond them... as even two stealth suits can still dish out a fair degree of firepower and prove very useful. I dont particularly rate the new targeting array.. simply because i try to do the business with markerlights nowadays.... cheaper... if a little more temperamental! but with so many shots you shouldn't be having much problem... i mean, we done ok without the TA before didn't we!!!??

However, i agree with some other comments.... the fish of fury attack tends to work better if you double up the fire warrior team. so getting in a second fish and warriors makes things work together much better. being able to bring to bear the required firepower in the required location at the required time is a must. used properly you can even prevent your opponent from assaulting your fire warriors even if 12"! remember, the nemy cannot pass within 1" of enemy models... and that includes your devilfishes!!!

however, i would like to keep in the sky ray... it will be needed for two reasons... firstly to provide your warriors with teh close anti tank support they need courtesy of its own markerlights. secondly because it can also use its markerlights to light up targets for your units... allowing them the benefits when most needed! its two markerlights paired with dual fish of fury teams is a devastating combination. imaging 20 fire warriors firing at BS4 at the same target!!!
you could shave some points by dropping one or two vespids, swapping the shas'el for a standard crisis suit and dropping the kroot. jiggling the stealth teams you can get in two squads of ten with TL and BK for 160 each. saving you another 20pts.
probably controvertially you could even drop a hammerhead in favour of a couple of piranhas with fusion blasters... keeping up the mobility of the army and not losing any anti tank punch but saving you lots of points!

you also have to consider the use of the hammerheads. to make use of those burst cannons you will need a target lock on each of them. consider it. or you will end up having to make the choice between shooting your cannons or your railhead!

dropping the kroot will be the big winner of points for you. the issue beign that kroot are now quite a good option and can get into forward positions fairly easily. though they are very fragile they are often overlooked when the enemy sees other threats on the board. overall though, for the style and list you are movign towards it seems a good pay off. in any case, you can put them back in for bigger games!

Old 07 Apr 2006, 16:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Agressive tau would be mont'ka. Which I haven't seen anyone do yet. Static tau generally executes a kau'yon tactic. Mech tau does neither most of the time...running away is hardly mont'ka.

Mont'ka tau would probably use hammerheads, vespids, piranhas, crisis suits, and stealth suits...basically, everything you find in mech-tau...only they run towards the keystone enemy unit (HQ? Heavy support?) instead of pursuing a policy of "victory point preservation".

Victory point presevation is very fluffy for tau...when they're on the defensive. Kau'yon and Mont'ka are offensive strategies. One is usually static (Kau'yon) or hybrid, though it can be done with mobile forces. Mont'ka relies too much on mobility to be executed by static tau, though a hybrid force could pull it off by using static elements for long-range fire support or as the bait in a supporting Kau'yon designed to draw forces away from the target of the Mont'ka.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread