Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Smart Missiles Good. Gun Drones bad.
Closed Thread
Old 07 Apr 2006, 07:55   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Smart Missiles Good. Gun Drones bad.

*Ahem*

Allow me to read from the good book:
Quote:
If passengers fire from a closed vehicle and any of them do not have a Saving throw of 2+ or 3+ (using the best of Armour Save and Invulnerable Save), then in the following player turn, enemy firing at or assualting the vehicle count it as open topped to represent the chance of hitting exposed passengers and the hits passing into the vehicle. This rule does not apply to the firing weapons built onto a vehicle, such as the Chimera's lasguns, or a pintle mounted storm bolter, for example.
Main Rulebook Page 64

Note that although Gun Drones come as part of the vehicle, and are included in its profile, the Pulse Carbines they fire are clearly their own, and not a weapon on the vehicle that the Drones simply utilize. Therefore Tau vehicles equipped with Gun Drones that fired would count as open topped in the following enemy turn, as they have a 4+ save.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 07:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default Re: Smart Missiles Good. Gun Drones bad.

Ah... but it is an extraordinary measure, like the Chimera lasguns, those drone cradles. Immune!

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 07 Apr 2006, 07:58   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The weapons they fire aren't. The weapons that the Guard fire are built into the Chimera. The Gun Drones carry their own weapons with them, and it's the weapons that are the dividing line.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 08:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

it says in the vehicle armoury that the gun drones fire as part of the vehicle in addition to any other weapons that would usually be allowed to fire and are only treated as passengers if the vehicle is damaged.
Old 07 Apr 2006, 11:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well thought out, grasshopper, but GW is way ahead of you.* drones fire as part of a vehicle, but are counted as passengers for purposes of "abandon ship" when the skimmer takes damage.

But...I agree...SMS good, gun drone bad. Twice the shots at longer range, no LOS required...nice!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 07 Apr 2006, 14:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
well thought out, grasshopper, but GW is way ahead of you. drones fire as part of a vehicle, but are counted as passengers for purposes of "abandon ship" when the skimmer takes damage.

But...I agree...SMS good, gun drone bad. Twice the shots at longer range, no LOS required...nice!
All for cheap points. Throw in a TA and you have yourself a mean gunship.
Closed Thread