Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A Question or two on Markerlights
Closed Thread
Old 06 Apr 2006, 01:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default A Question or two on Markerlights

With the new Markerlights, they provide benefits for a firing unit.

So, as far as rules go I have a few questions:

1: Does a dedicated Transport, i.e. the Devilfish, and its Gundrones, count as part of a Fire Warrior Unit with a networked Marker Drone?
2: Can you use markerlight counters to improve the shooting for other markerlight drones in other units?
3: With a squad with two Markerlight drones, can you use one networked markerlight shot, which fires before all other fire, to enhance the shooting ability of the second markerlight shot?
4: Does A.S.S. Count towards marker drones on Broadsides?
Old 06 Apr 2006, 02:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: A Question or two on Markerlights

I can only answer 2 and 3, so I'll do just that

Markerlights cannot benefit from other markerlights. It is in the codex under the markerlight entry

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Old 06 Apr 2006, 02:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

1. No never different unit.

4. Well i cant even make out what your saying.
A panda walks into a restaurant, sits down, and orders a sandwich. He eats the sandwich, pulls out a gun, and shoots the waiter dead. As the panda stands up to go, the manager shouts, " Where are you going? You just shot my waiter"

"Hey, man, I'm a PANDA!" the panda shouts back. "Look it up!"

The manager opens his dictionary and reads:

Panda: A tree-dwelling marsupial of Asian origin, characterized by distinct black and white coloring. Eats, shoots and leaves.

Learn punctuation it changes the meaning of your sentinces. If you don't I'll destroy you.

Join TFOTFUWBS
Old 06 Apr 2006, 02:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana Sel
With the new Markerlights, they provide benefits for a firing unit.

So, as far as rules go I have a few questions:

1: Does a dedicated Transport, i.e. the Devilfish, and its Gundrones, count as part of a Fire Warrior Unit with a networked Marker Drone?
No. If it has a separate stat line, it's not part of the unit (ICs joining the unit are an exception).

Quote:
2: Can you use markerlight counters to improve the shooting for other markerlight drones in other units?
Under NO circumstances may a markerlight shot benefit from a markerlight token. None, never, nil, nix. It's a shame, but they knew EXACTLY what I would have done with markerlights shooting at BS4 or 5...

Quote:
3: With a squad with two Markerlight drones, can you use one networked markerlight shot, which fires before all other fire, to enhance the shooting ability of the second markerlight shot?
See 2 above. No.
Quote:
4: Does A.S.S. Count towards marker drones on Broadsides?
Austencibly no. To do so would be the height of cheese. The "movement TYPE" of a drone is that of its parent, so drones attached to broadsides move as Infantry (6 and 6 in the movement and assault phases). The Stabilization System grants the owning model with the ability to use the special rule, Slow and Purposeful. Drones do not necessarily qualify for the special rules of their controlling model (I can't think of any occasion where they do, except stealth, but that's clearly written in the stealth field special rules). The drones don't have to pay for the A.S.S. so there's no reason to think they can benefit from a controller who has it.

The sentence in the A.S.S. description is there only to show that you do not (in fact MAY not) need to buy the drones the 10-point piece of gear in the context of the sentence explaining that all models (in this case - all Battlesuit models) must purchase it if any one does.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 06 Apr 2006, 10:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the clarification guys. An observation of my own though: a stealth suit Marker squad would be fairly efficient. Consider this:

A squad of 6 men, 5 of which can take 1 support system: drone controller, each with up to 2 markerdrones, and 1 who can both get his own markerlight and 2 markerdrones. Very expensive indeed - in fact each one is roughly the cost of a shas'vre broadside with A.S.S. capabilities. On the other hand, you get 13 Markerlights, all granted protection from fire by the stealth rule, which can move in the assault phase. Furthermore, your unit has 12 wounds of markerlights plus 6 carrier wounds. As stated, this unit costs what six 'vre broadsides with A.S.S. would cost. A lot. But it may be worth it.

By comparison, the far cheaper Pathfinder team requires a Devilfish - no markerlight - and has to wait out the fury of full-on heavy fire from other armies due to a lack of stealth. On the other hand, of the same cost, you could probably get 2 Pathfinder teams, or more units to utilise the markerlights.
Old 06 Apr 2006, 12:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

The problem with putting all of those markerlights into a single unit is that only ONE of them can fire at a separate target - the markerlight on the Team Lead (if and only if he's equipped with a Target Lock).

The only point to putting two marker drones into a unit is if you do not want to miss with a markerlight each turn. I consider it grossly inefficient to use two marker drones in a single unit. I've outfitted my Fire Warrior teams each with a Shas'Ui, with HW Target Lock & Markerlight, plus Drone Controller and a single marker drone. With three or four teams of these, the Networked Markerlight can benefit his own fire warriors at one target while he tries to "paint" a separate target with his own markerlight and target lock. If he misses, another FW Shas'Ui can try again.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 06 Apr 2006, 15:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I've been thinking about the Stealth Marker squad as well. It could be very interesting to have an infiltrating/stealth unit that has a lot of markerlights.

The obvious downside though is the units prohibitvley high cost.

I think the best way to do it would be

3 Stealthsuits w/ drone controllers
3 Marker drones
3 Gun drones
Total: 210

That's an average of 70 points per markerlight...

However this unit has 3 Ablative wounds (Gun drones) before it starts to lose marker drones. For an extra 20 points the unit could have another markerlight added to it

team leader w/ markerlight, hard wired target lock

That'd be a total of 230 points, making the VERY SMALL unit a prime enemy target.

However with careful pre game positioning this small squad could be a real big thorn in your opponents side.

NOTE:

DO NOT EVER use this squad in a mission with the Escaltion rule.

EVER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 08 Apr 2006, 00:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I considered the upside of more than one markerlight per unit being the massive amount of focus fire potential the markerlights grant.

with 12 markerlights, that makes 6 units with ballistic skill 5, hitting on a 2+
turn one: kill fast attack, markerlit
turn two: kill heavy support, markerlit
turn three: kill infantry, markerlit
and so on...

as an alternative to the expensive stealth team, I also consider the IC Commander being equipped with two markerdrones and moving only in the assault phase. I also equipped him with the long distance Missile Pod.
Closed Thread