Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tank hunting with Stealth
Closed Thread
Old 05 Apr 2006, 21:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Tank hunting with Stealth

What does every body think about a 3 man turn 2 deep striking stealth team with Marker drones and a sky ray as a alternate to a hammerhead so my opponents dont go for it right away and destroy it.

Or even two stealth teams.
A panda walks into a restaurant, sits down, and orders a sandwich. He eats the sandwich, pulls out a gun, and shoots the waiter dead. As the panda stands up to go, the manager shouts, " Where are you going? You just shot my waiter"

"Hey, man, I'm a PANDA!" the panda shouts back. "Look it up!"

The manager opens his dictionary and reads:

Panda: A tree-dwelling marsupial of Asian origin, characterized by distinct black and white coloring. Eats, shoots and leaves.

Learn punctuation it changes the meaning of your sentinces. If you don't I'll destroy you.

Join TFOTFUWBS
Old 05 Apr 2006, 21:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default Re: Tank hunting with Stealth

Ewww... gross... trying to use Stealthsuits to kill tanks!

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 05 Apr 2006, 22:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i think its an interesting idea, however it seems to me like a trick pony, one that your opponent won't let happen more than once.

also you might want to invest in more than one markerlight source (yes I know that the skyray comes with one, but the idea with that is to put it somewhere there is no line of sight to, thereby nulling the markerlights on it)

thats why I just go with pathfinders.
Old 05 Apr 2006, 23:46   #4 (permalink)
lonely tau

why not just take the cheap and easy way out called fusion blaster? 2 points and one for every 3 people in the squad... you REALLY want to rush out and buy the skyray when you can do that huh :

for my NEW NEVER BEEN USED TANK HUNTERS (stupid advertising yay) im just going to have my stealths, guided by attack the rear armour of the vehicle and send it to a very bad place >

Old 06 Apr 2006, 02:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah thats what i was thinking why advertise the fact their tank hunters so they die quickly.
A panda walks into a restaurant, sits down, and orders a sandwich. He eats the sandwich, pulls out a gun, and shoots the waiter dead. As the panda stands up to go, the manager shouts, " Where are you going? You just shot my waiter"

"Hey, man, I'm a PANDA!" the panda shouts back. "Look it up!"

The manager opens his dictionary and reads:

Panda: A tree-dwelling marsupial of Asian origin, characterized by distinct black and white coloring. Eats, shoots and leaves.

Learn punctuation it changes the meaning of your sentinces. If you don't I'll destroy you.

Join TFOTFUWBS
Old 06 Apr 2006, 02:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

First off, if the fusion blaster isn't modeled on the Stealth suit, you can't "officially" use it. Second, same for marker dones.

Third, on the turn you land, you can't fire the marker drones.
Fourth, you're a lucky man to deep strike your fusion blaster to within 6 inches of his range on the turn he lands.
Fifth, you're lucky anything within 12 inches of your stealth team doesn't charge it on the enemy's next turn.
Fourth, you're saving how many points on a fusion blaster Crisis Suit, 6, 8? And insteady you pay 92 for the stealth team and 30 more for each drone (plus you now have to outfit the other two stealth suits with a hardpoint option, by rule).

Very inefficient way to try to accomplish something a piranha can do on turn 2 generally by itself, for cheaper.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 06 Apr 2006, 04:22   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Huh? The stealth suits come with a fusion blaster if you are talking about the new ones.

Granted they are cheap upgrades, I'd rather give them all burst cannons as they are better for taking out infantry and the combined range with the jetpack give you a safer distance to kill from...
Old 06 Apr 2006, 06:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Rechar Send a message via Yahoo to Rechar

Its not that bad an idea, compared to gun drones who would be roughly the same price 96-92pts.

Assuming the team doesn't scatter you will be looking at 2-3 glancing/pen hits against rear armour, with the advantage of stealth to reduce fire from other targets.

Charging is a problem, but its the same for drones.

The only downside i can see is the loss of an elite slot which might be better used in other ways.

"Just as the chaotic nature of these aliens is anathema to we of the Empire, so it is that the Tau'va is abhorent to them. They have no capacity to accept such glory and should be kulled so the Empires efforts may be spent in a more productive manner." attributed - Shas'O Rech'Ar
Old 06 Apr 2006, 06:11   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

The new Stealth sprue has a single Fusion Blaster on it, and also the parts to build a single plastic Marker Drone.

I like the idea of using Stealths for tanking-huntig to supplement Piranhas and Hammerheads, but I would much rather infiltrate them instead of deep-striking. Deep-striking runs the risk of a bad scatter leaving you exposed and out of range to your target. Infiltrating is less of surprise, but I find it more reliable.
Old 06 Apr 2006, 06:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

man this is like the fourth thread i've read this.

however cool and effective it sounds it doesn't work as well as u think!!!
just because you can take a fusion doesn't mean you should.

one TL TA fusion monat can kill the tank far better and far cheaper. (51pts<92pts)
Monat accuracy 88%, stealths accuracy 50%, 83% if marked for.
not even marker lights makes him better. don't do it plse.
it's like giving fire warriors photon grenades to try and save you from assault. it wastes points and doesn't work.

let stealths do what stealths do best and crisis do what crisis do best. then your army does it's best.

oh and as far as the support option conflict. one can have whatever and the others have drone controllers and no drones. it costs 0pts.