Warhammer 40K Forum

Some tactical questions.
Closed Thread
Old 05 Apr 2006, 17:35   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Some tactical questions.

hi evrybody

here r the questions:
1.) whats the best drednought killing weapon?

2.) whats better-two monats with the same purpose or one team of two, one has a target lock?

3)are gun drones in nay way, shape or form worthh it as wasrgear for monats

4) do sniper drones + pathfinders=lots of pinning (theroetical bs5 and -7 to leadership!!) for pinning test.

5) whats the best armament for infantry fire warriors? (not in devilfish) should they even exist?

answres= ;D
no answers= :P
Old 05 Apr 2006, 17:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius
Default Re: some questions

Hey there:
1) I'd most certainly say a railgun, best for anything vehicular. However, if you pushed, a fusion blaster should do it quite nicely, but you'll risk getting blown to pieces by the dreadnought first!

2) This really depends upon the purpose? and if your pushed for those extra elite slots or not. Generally I'd go with 1 team of 2 unless this objective is of utmost importance.

3) This depends upon wat the monats use is. If hes all alone away form the main force then yes, as they can provide additional cover fire and pin enemies in place, i generally prefer shield drones thouh - I get enough pulse shots from firewarriors.

4) Yes against pinnable foes, i.e., an army like tyrnaids can't be pinned within a synapse creature. Remember snipers have networked markerlight, but it can be akward to get in position for this, and might just be better to give pathfinders railrifles ass they'll get in position more easily. As a static firing base mind, these a good idea as stelthed. Hopefully, lots of pinning but be careful who you use it against.

5) Depends upon playstyle, I quite like pulse carbines for some who then move where needed adding that little extra support hopefully tieing a few enemies up! Then again the extra 12" range is very nice, but the rapid fire rarely bothers me as I dislike letting my enemies get that close in the first place, 12" is very little to work with against genestealers for example.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 05 Apr 2006, 18:07   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Some tactical questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaso moonknife
hi evrybody

here r the questions:

2.) whats better-two monats with the same purpose or one team of two, one has a target lock?

3)are gun drones in nay way, shape or form worthh it as wasrgear for monats

4) do sniper drones + pathfinders=lots of pinning (theroetical bs5 and -7 to leadership!!) for pinning test.

5) whats the best armament for infantry fire warriors? (not in devilfish) should they even exist?

answres= ;D
no answers= :P
Welcome to the forums!

I agree with Delvaurius on most of these points. Because the Tau army is so adaptable, it is hard to answer some of the questions in a simple manner. It all depends on who you are facing, and what your own preferences are as far as firepower vs. mobility.

I have found Missile Pods work pretty well against Dreadnoughts, unless of course your Railguns have no other targets.
Old 05 Apr 2006, 18:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1

Here's my advice.

1) Missile Pod, It'll only get glancing on a 5+ but, if you have two or three crisis suits all with missile pods, it'll go down, or it'll be shaken/stunned.

2) I'd say go with two Monats unless you need the FOC slots because it forces your enemy to split their fire. This is a bit of a dirty tactic, but if you tell your opponent at the start that they are two seperate units, but you use them tactically like a single unit, your opponent may forget causing them to make tactical errors.

3) I'd say go with the shield drones, helps save the suit.

4) I'd agree with the others that it'll probably work fairly well on most armies, but not on Nids at all. So don't bother against Nids.

5) Yes foot slogging FWs should exist ... unless you play Mech Tau. I myself play Hybrid, with two foot sloggers, and one mounted (planning on getting a second mounted). Definitely give them a shas'ui, pulse rifles, boning, and if you have the points, photon grenades. The nades'll help against assault troops without power weapons, and the shas'ui will help tie up the enemy in hand 2 hand allowing your other squads to clear the area, or allowing you to counter assault. There are two things to keep in mind. A) OVERLAP YOUR FIRE!!!!! Seriously, FWs will buy the farm if left to fend for themselves. B) If an enemy gets one squad in assault and you have a squad nearby, but likely won't be able to outrun the enemy assault troops WHEN they break your FWs, charge in. It'll buy time for other units to escape as well as increasing your chances of actually winning the combat. This may sound iffy, but if you're guaranteed to be charged and not get to rapid fire, you may as well get the +1 attack.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

Old 05 Apr 2006, 18:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

1) Seeker missile, but with the seeker you always have to hit with two weapons rather than one. Still, it's really a good bet, and enables a long-range kill.

Monats vs. Teams: The problem with any crisis team is All On Your Own tests. Once you fail an AOYO test, you don't get to rally, and you just keep moving off the board. A Monat doesn't have to make this (unless he takes drones, in which case he's not really a Monat at all - and this is the case against Monats taking drones at all).

I'm personally not a fan of crisis suits unless it's in 4-model teams (or more), which of course requires drone controllers and drones, or, in Monat mode. But I rely VERY little on Crisis Suits, as I've said in another thread. But I also admit I'm not effective with them - configuration is key, and having them fill a specific role, rather than a Jack-of-all-Trades role.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 05 Apr 2006, 18:55   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: help in answering.

thanks for the advice, here are the answers to the questions you raised. THe monats v two in a squad is this idea: against orks in a 750pts game, one would have a twin linked MP and 2 gun drones, while the other would have a MP, BC and a targeting array (or something else, im free to suggestions) the idea is that the first would target vehicles, while the second gives him support or hurts mobs as necessary. the shas'o in this army is equippped for mob hunting (CIB,BC)

ill probably be doin hybrid tau (if thats a combo of static and mech) so...

THe pulse rifle v carbine question is this: should i use a unit of fire warriors (with pulse rifles), sniper drones and pathfinders for pinning and destroying, or the sniper drones and pathfinders to hold a unit while a find a suitable unit to destroy them with or can the fire warriors, with a suitable weapons load out do the job of pathfinders and sniper drone on its own.
Old 05 Apr 2006, 19:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1

I've never fielded pathfinders or sniper drones (and if I do I sure as hell won't have bought the official models) and I've done just fine with only FWs. However, if you are intent on pinning then you'll need the Pathfinders at least. The Markerlights are the only way to more or less guarantee pining.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

Old 05 Apr 2006, 19:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: some questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaso moonknife
hi evrybody

here r the questions:
I'm a big fan of Railguns myself - but I've seen Missile pods, Seeker Missiles or even Ion Cannons used to kill them....

Quote:
Depends on your army composition - if you have the extra Force org slot open; 2 Monats is always better. From your description - definitely 2 monats...

Quote:
3)are gun drones in any way, shape or form worth it as wargear for monats
In my personal experience - no... If a drone buys is - it causes too many morale issues.

Quote:
Maybe - remember there are a LOT of armies out in the real world that will be highly resistant to pinning. Chaos has a lot of fearless, Nids are fearless in synapse, etc. Personally - I'd rather use all those markerlight hits to actually KILL units. A Fire Warrior squad firing at BS5 versus orks = LOTS of dead orks...

Quote:
I still run a hybrid force - My footslogger Fire warriors are armed purely with Pulse Rifles and Photon Grenades. I do give them the Shas'ui and bond 'em too - but that is personal preference.

Dave Gaidasz
Old 05 Apr 2006, 19:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

1. Certainly a railgun, it has a 66.6% chance of hitting, pierces the front, and sides on a 2, (83.3% chance), and automatically pierces the back.
2. It depends what you're doing. Two together are more easily targetted by guns, but they can also focus more shots into one model, (such as a carnifex, or dreadnought).
3. The regular gun drone has a 33.3% chance of hitting, and a chance to re-roll, but it's weapon is a pulse carbine, so it gives you only 2-3 turns of shooting before enemies reach you, (not too effective unless they move on their own). I only find groups of them effective, as they can at least hit a few times then.
4. Yes, against foes that can still be pinned, which is now starting to decrease.
5. Pulse Rifles in my opinion, they have a much longer range, and are rapid fire, plus with the tau rules, they can move and shoot the whole range, (instead of just 12"). Pulse carbines may be twin-linked an can pin, but not too many can be pinned nowadays, (high leadership, and fearless rules), and they're fairly short ranged, so any enemies in range are probably going to get into close combat with half, or more of the targets, as you didn't have enough time to nail them hard.
Example:

Pulse Rifle:

Shooting at one group of 15 hormagaunts 30" away, with a group of fifteen firewarriors, (you go first). You shoot, half hit, that's eight shots hitting, (we're rounding up). 6.58 shots wound, (rounding up again), 7 hormagaunts fall. They move 12" closer, they are now 18" away. You shoot again, with around the same results. 14 have fallen. This means one must take it's own morale, (and will most likely fail it).
Pulse Carbine:
Same scenario, you go first. You can't shoot at them however. They move 12". They are now 18" away. You shoot, 8 hitting, you re-roll the ones that missed. Four more shots hit, that's 12 shots. 9 hormagaunts fall. Then the rest, (6), charge you, they go first, they get three attacks charging, hit on 3s. 17 of the 27 hit, half of those wounds, (9 as we're rounding), five firewarriors die. You're left with 11 tau. So, we have a close combat match between 6 hormagaunts, and 11 firewarriors.

This could happen, but this was only math, and not actual dice rolling, so nothing is assumed, it could have gone the opposite way, with the pulse carbines being more effective.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 05 Apr 2006, 19:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Pulse Rifles on FW all the way!

If you want pinning, give some drones to a Stealth team!

... I REALLY like the new Devilfishies. I always have.

[hr]

Pros and Cons of a Devilfish
By MechTau

Pros
-Run away from incoming units
-Its a skimmer
-VP denial
-Can carry pretty heavy armament
-Gives your army speed and manuvreability
-If geared up enough, people will ignore your HHs and shoot at these!

Cons
-Costs 80 points minimum... thats 8 more FW!
-Non-scoring unit
-If geared up too much, it will attract fire, downing it before you get to use it.

Conclusion

If transports were "scoring units", it might be a no brainer.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Closed Thread