Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Networked Markerlights and targeting
Old 05 Apr 2006, 14:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Networked Markerlights and targeting

I'm going to argue in a way that limits my own Tau, but hey, I enjoy arguing rules.

The rules for Networked Markerlights state the operator's own unit can basically use it but all other rules given for the basic markerlight apply

I have seen it arise in the Tau Tactica thread over at Warseer that some are interpreting the phrase "It is fired before the remainder of the unit fires" to indicate that the NML can fire at a separate target than its operator's unit.

I completely disagree with this interpretation, because only a Target Lock wargear piece allows that, and the Networked Markerlight does not have a TL in its profile (the Sniper Drone, for instance, does). So it is my assertion (and I expect most non-Tau players will agree) that while the NML may roll it's to-hit die first before the unit, the rest of the unit is required to fire at what the NML fired at (barring any models equipped with their own Target Lock, which could fire elsewhere, at the same time as the non-NML portion of the unit).

Full quotation of rules amended to more acceptable quoting - Crime Prevention Unit 001
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2006, 15:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Jebz Send a message via Yahoo to Jebz
Default Re: Networked Markerlights and targeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliodorus04

The rules for Networked Markerlights state the operator's own unit can basically use it but all other rules given for the basic markerlight apply

I have seen it arise in the Tau Tactica thread over at Warseer that some are interpreting the phrase "It is fired before the remainder of the unit fires" to indicate that the NML can fire at a separate target than its operator's unit.
Some just wants to make the rules up as they go along. (This is not aimed at you heliodorus04)

Quote:
I completely disagree with this interpretation, because only a Target Lock wargear piece allows that, and the Networked Markerlight does not have a TL in its profile (the Sniper Drone, for instance, does).
Totally agree with you.

Quote:
So it is my assertion (and I expect most non-Tau players will agree)
...and most people with a single bit of common sense....

Quote:
that while the NML may roll it's to-hit die first before the unit, the rest of the unit is required to fire at what the NML fired at (barring any models equipped with their own Target Lock, which could fire elsewhere, at the same time as the non-NML portion of the unit).
I am with you on this, their (the people interpreting the phrase at Warseer) are just making it up as they go along.

Were does it even hint at the fact that ......

Quote:
"It is fired before the remainder of the unit fires" to indicate that the NML can fire at a separate target than its operator's unit.
......... this can possibly happen.

Well I think I will decide that I want to shoot at three different targets with my three weapons on the Railhead because there are three different weapons on my Railhead.

If they can make up, or interpret a rule, were there is no mention or indication to their interpretation, then why can't I?
Old 05 Apr 2006, 15:40   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

You are correct, as even a cursory review of the rules should support. There is nothing in the codex to suggest that the Networked Markerlight also carries the effects of a Target Lock.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2006, 02:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander SilentStrike
Well I think I will decide that I want to shoot at three different targets with my three weapons on the Railhead because there are three different weapons on my Railhead.

If they can make up, or interpret a rule, were there is no mention or indication to their interpretation, then why can't I?
Actually, you can. Buy a target lock for your HH:P

quote fixed - Khanaris
Savient is offline   Reply With Quote