Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Good and Bad Special Issue Stuff
Closed Thread
Old 04 Apr 2006, 20:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default The Good and Bad Special Issue Stuff

Which of the Special Issue wargear are good and which are bad? Which are unknown to this time by lack of playtesting. So many options, so little knowledge on them.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 20:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: The Good and Bad Special Issue Stuff

I will use the CIB and the Stim injector for my Shas'el and the Stim for my 'o but not in the same battle. the airbursting sounds nice but I'm wary of it for some reason. the rest is all up to you.

Old 04 Apr 2006, 21:15   #3 (permalink)
lonely tau

it all depends on how you use it and the mechanics of your army and your opponents. the command and control node is excellent for a static base but more than semi-useless for a mech army. like wise the CIB is good against most infantry while the AFB shines against hordes.

Stim injectors may easily be the best equipment out there because you get feel no pain as a result and that saves you quite a bit. coupled with iridium armour this is a very hard to kill model but if they start getting some plasma/lascannon fire they will die really easily.

the positional relay is more than useless if you dont have any reserves in your army or if you want them to come in near the end of the game. the Vectored Retro Thrusters are quite a good piece of equipment if they are used correctly otherwise it is best to leave it at home.

the ejection system is a wonderful way do denie VP to your opponent for a while and still keep your commander alive. the failsafe detonator is a horrible thing to couple with the ejection system because you are just blowing up a huge piece of your army but with the AP- it will very rarely be used against marines and the like despite its good strength.

so it is the mechanics of your army that depend on wheather a piece of equipment will be good or not.

Old 04 Apr 2006, 22:27   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm not too sure about the value of the Ejection System, Stim Injector or Iridium Armour. It's what they call "back-loading". The Ejection System only works against shots that won't cause Instant Death! and Iridium Armour is useless against a lot of anti-tank heavy weapons, the kind that often get used against Crisis suits. Plus Iridium Armour slows down your IC in the Assault Phase, and the best protection your character can have is to be out of LOS during the enemy shooting phase anyway. Same applies to the Stim Injector - if your Commander is a single model, he shouldn't really be getting hurt all that much, unless he has short ranged weapons or you're putting him in close combat a lot.

The Failsafe Detonator might work on a bodyguard to your Commander. If the Commander & bodyguard team get forced to fall back, the Commander will automatically escape and the enemy will get a face-full of high explosive for their trouble. S8 will Instant Death! most space marine characters if they fail their save, and the explosion will make a big mess of hand-to-hand horde armies.

Positional Relay: Sometimes you don't have any control over whether or not you have Reserves, such as in Omega level games with Escalation. In those situations getting the unit you really need to have, right now, might be worth the cost of delaying the arrival of your other units. Also, if you plan on killing tanks by deep striking in fusion-blaster armed suits, then a combination of pathfinders and a positional relay could be good.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 22:43   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus
Positional Relay: Sometimes you don't have any control over whether or not you have Reserves, such as in Omega level games with Escalation. In those situations getting the unit you really need to have, right now, might be worth the cost of delaying the arrival of your other units. Also, if you plan on killing tanks by deep striking in fusion-blaster armed suits, then a combination of pathfinders and a positional relay could be good.
As Malveaux pointed out in another thread on the subject, delaying your other units can actually be a reason to take this equipment, not just a penalty. Most armies will be forced to deploy all of their deep-strikers by turn three or four. With a Positional Relay, Tau can reliably drop a unit in turn five or six, easily contesting an objective or a vital strategic point. Of all the upgrades, the Positional Relay is the most closely tied to the Mission Objectives, rather than pure unit effectiveness.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 23:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior

I don't what to seem like a whiner but why are the special issue weapons given a 18inch range ? :-\

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Old 05 Apr 2006, 00:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Airbursting fragmentation system:
Pros: Larger Blast, cover has no effect
Cons: Guess range, not too strong, average armour piercing, few shots, expensive
Cyclic Ion Blaster:
Pros: Lots of shots, good reward for high "to wound rolls", great against hordes
Cons: Limited range, low strength
Better description here: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=21127.0
Command and Control Node:
Pros: Very helpful to vespids, and kroot
Cons: Limited effective range
Vectored Retro-Thrusters:
Pros: A great upgrade for O'Shovah
Cons: Special Issue, (bodyguards don't benefit), he can't use it
Positioning Relay:
Pros: Good for early deep-striking
Cons: Limits all other deepstriking that turn
Ejection System:
Pros: Counts you from losing victory points sooner
Cons: No real point, and is quite expensive
Failsafe Detonator:
Pros: Could cause a ton of damage to hordes of termagaunts/hormagaunts
Cons: Pierces no armour
Iridium Armour:
Pros: Gives your commander a better save
Cons: Limits your move 6", shoot, move 6" back tactic
Stimulant Injector:
Pros: Good for a commander who needs to take a lot of saves, (O'Shovah?), cheap
Cons: Limited in this section, game wise, (my friend says it changes the tau' image, it's not something the tau would do, it's too much like chaos).
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 05 Apr 2006, 01:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Rev_Enge(spc)

Sim injector is not "rage aaargh" combat sims, its organ stims so that you can keep your heart beating. Like a defibrillator. I find it useful, good against piercing shots and its cheap.

Retro Justs looks good on paper, but takes up a Hardpoint, limiting weapons and Shield gnerator, especially since the commander MUST be a single-model.

"In war, laws are silent"
Old 05 Apr 2006, 01:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
Sim injector is not "rage aaargh" combat sims, its organ stims so that you can keep your heart beating. Like a defibrillator.

Detailed on page 74 of the Warhammer 40k rulebook, or in the chaos codex, page 48.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 05 Apr 2006, 01:49   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think he was referring to your friend's opinion that stimulant injectors do not fit the Tau image. I am not sure about that one, myself. We never really had any references about Tau medical technology, but it must be pretty impressive if their stimulant injectors are more effective than those carried in the armour of every Space Marine.
Closed Thread