Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Broadside unit sizes?
Closed Thread
Old 04 Apr 2006, 18:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius
Default Broadside unit sizes?

Whats your preferred size. I like taking braodsides as I often verse a tyranid player who likes to go top heavy on monsters, and a witch hunter army who likes tanks, a lot!

One broadside is cheap, with the potential to kill almost any tank in one turn, plus no target lock needed and stabalising system could be easily used here.

Two broadsides and I'd have to give one a Target Lock - just something I like to do - However the stabalisation system seems quite a nice upgrade here, however then I MUST make one of them a shas'vre team leader with an extra 10 pts, plus an extra 5 pts for hardwired target lock.

Three broadiseds and I'd have them static, two with target locks and i with shield drones as they'd be less adaptable to incoming threats.

These are just the combinations i'm currently thinking of, coments please/ Also, does anyone have a better idea, i'm not to well experieced in using broadsides so if anyone has advice on better tactics....

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 04 Apr 2006, 18:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Re: Broadside unit sizes?

I take two broadsides with ASS, Team Leader with HWDC, 2 shield drones. I may or may not add plasma(only to the team leader) and HW multitracker.

When you consider your odds of killing almost any vehicle, the target lock is just about pointless unless you have a 3-squad. Take two broadsides and devote them to killing one important vehicle at a time.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 18:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

It's a fair comment, never really thought of it for some reason. I'm just going to assume that D'yi is stabalisation system. Definately something I'm going to try out! I'd only take one unit of broadsides though, the other heavy slots to valuable for just tank hunters. Thanks!

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 04 Apr 2006, 19:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm trying using a Railhead, Monat Broadside with TA and TL Plasma, and a pair of Broadsides with A.S.S. and SMS. The Monat is meant to be a sniper who takes a position and makes long range shots. The Broadside pair are mobile support. The Hammerhead tries to distract my opponent from shooting the Broadsides.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 19:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Huh... yes, I wrote an acronym for Advanced Stabilization System. It still appears when I read the post, but it seems theres a filter that translates it to D'Yi. Adding periods seems to be fine, so I'll try to refer to it as A.S.S. from now on.

That should be what the filter does anyway... where the heck did "D'yi" come from?
Old 04 Apr 2006, 19:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, I fancy buying my broadsides from Forgeworld, they just seem more stable than those produced by GW, could see how it would be possible for them to move and shoot. The ankles on the others would snap.

I'll be using broadsides as tank hunters, or big monsters. I generally then take an ionhead (unless versing massed light infantry) where a pie plate railgun comes in handy.

Daniel, what kind of opposition to you generally come into? 4 rail guns seems like a lot... Do you give the monat shield drones, might increase his survivability.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 04 Apr 2006, 19:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Oh, by the way, I meant that I use two broadsides in one team with that configuration. I also take either two railheads or a railhead and an ionhead. The submunitions are almost always useful, but I find the ionhead has many uses as well. It's a tough choice for the remaining 2 HS slots.

Of course, sometimes it's just best to go with 3 hammerheads... >=D
Old 04 Apr 2006, 19:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Will you be considering the new snipers or skyray?

I think it depends upon what army your versing, often against tank filled marines the more railguns the better. Is the A.S.S. system all that and more?

It lets you move around, yes, which reduces the statitory element to broadsides and the re-deployability - essential as I play high terrain boards, but is there a better option?

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 04 Apr 2006, 20:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've been using broadsides with A.S.S and shield drones for a few weeks now and i can say they are fearsome!

The ability to move and fire not only protects you from first turn fire, but also makes them much more deadly, and quite a good unit for scoring close objectives.

a 195 point unit of 2 broadsides with A.S.S. and 2 shield drones is a very effective unit, with the ability to take more punishment than a unit of terminators. a unit of FRIGGIN TERMINATORS!!!!

>
Old 04 Apr 2006, 21:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Skyray only works in small games or an army built around the skyray - can you get by without the railguns? If you can, great, you can take a skyray or two. The snipers are the same really. Neither unit fits into my playstyle because they both require practically new playstyles.

I'm sure the broadsides can do well with other upgrades... but again, not in my army. Targetting array comes to mind as another awesome hardpoint upgrade.
Closed Thread