Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help with Necrons
Closed Thread
Old 04 Apr 2006, 16:50   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Help with Necrons

Ok, I have defeated this list with my Orcs, crushed it with my Deathwing. But it ALWAYS beats my Tau. I have treid a lot of different tactics with the old Tau Codex. Havnt faced it yet with the New one, any suggestions on how to beat it ?

HQ:
Lord, Destroy body, war scythe, res orb, nightmare shroud.

Elites:
9 Pirihas

troops:
4 x 12 man Necron warrior squads

Fast:
2 x 3 man wraith squads

Heavy
3 man Heavy Destroyer squad

This is a 1850 list. My tau get pounded by it. Lord and wraith move together , using than nightmare thing. While the pirihas move up with the warrios to the center. Wraiths hug cover well and stay together. So if I do down one sqaud they just join the other.

Any tips on how new tau can defeat this ??
Old 04 Apr 2006, 17:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius
Default Re: Help with Necrons

Well, a lot of the new Tau units are fantastic for destorying necrons...

Vespid:* Very good weapon here, no armour saves for necrons, plus good strength so wounded quite easily.* However with the short range, these troops would be best left defending your flanks from any pesky units that get too colse - NOT the warith though, with a 12" range it'll catch you EASILY and wipe them out.

Snipers:* These are quite delicious, markerlight gives better chance of hitting, v good strength and AP value for necrons of any sort. plus they'll need two 6s to be in your range very hard!* Be warned that the drones can take a while to get into position.

Crisis suits:* Perfect with plasma rifles and fusion blasters.* Be forewarned, a team of three will need - statistically - 2 turns to kill a wraith considering a single shot from a plasma rifle.* However at close range - 12" - you'll be firing twice from your plasma rifles and once from fusion - with Multitracker - which should cause some more damage! 2 3 man teams kill an entire 3 units strong wraith - roughly!

Hammerhead:* Give this thing an ion cannon, and it will take out anything, give it smart missiles to tackle the terrain issue.

DO NOT USE pirhannas, transports, pathfinders, broadsides or too many fire warriors. Pirhannas wont have eneough taregts - burst cannon is too weak and fusion blaster is not worth it on such a model, your not hunting. Broadsides are complete overkill on this, only having the optential to kill 1 model a turn. Pulse rifles are strong, but wont touch any warriors.* Kroot are a personal choice which could save your front line. They'll provide a good number of attacks, good strength, which massed in numbers may mean you could break their line!* Focus your fire! When he deepstrikes into your front line, use ion heads, snipers and all crisis suits to obliterate them once and for all, deploy your troops to optomise this effect. Don't worry about his foot troops for a while, focus on the deepstrikers and on those pesky wraiths. The heavy destroyers could also cause you trouble as they can move up to 12" and still shoot, however he may opt to keep them back and shoot a lot! You ionheads can handle this threat later on.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 04 Apr 2006, 18:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

kroot would be awesome here. I'd say the best thing is to go with static tau. Take a maxed out unit of kroot to pounce on any crons that get close to your lines. Take one and only one unit of eight pathfinders. The skimmer will be useless. keep it zipping around out of range in case you are able to use it to make the pathfinders sieze an objective late in the game. Take nine sniper drones (the max, apparently the 1-3 teams are a 0-1 heavy choice...pity!) Spend every remaining point on fire warriors.

Hit one unit of necrons with the 8 markerlights. Use all of the counters for increased BS and shoot EVERYTHING at that one unit till it drops. Give the sniper drones BS5 first, then give FW units BS4 till you run out of counters. Expect the snipers to drop 6-7 necrons. the kroot will probably drop 3 more. Now that squad is down to 2-4 models. The rule of thumb that it takes 18 pulse rifles to drop one necron is heavilly modified in your favor here. First, some sets of 12 rifles will be BS4 instead of BS3 due to markerlighting. Second, if you are able to deny WBB, the base number drops from 18 to 9. Put those two factors together, and 2-3 squads of firewarriors can easily handle the remainder of that squad.

If the Lord and Piriahs are foolish enough to advance ahead of the troops, you've really got something for him. Use the snipers and kroot to drop the piriahs, then pump everything else you have into the lord. He should drop....and if he doesn't get up, neither do the expensive elites.

Realistically, you can expect to drop at least two warrior squads AND the piriahs/lord before the crons reach your lines. 12 Necron warriors are no match for 35 kroot, so there goes one more warrior squad...

Ignore the wraiths if you can, otherwise kill both squads in the same turn as described above. Since you only have one vehicle, ignore the heavy destroyers, they don't have any worthwhile targets against your army. The couple of 10 point models they kill every turn are a minor annoyance, nothing more.

Targeting priority:

Pariahs/lord (as soon as they are closest)
warriors
warriors
warriors
warriors
both sets of wraiths
heavy destroyers

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 04 Apr 2006, 18:05   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ya she doesnt use that deepstrike thing. So I cant rely on her not to assault. No monolith either, uggg I hate this army. I cant seem to field enough High AP , STR 8+ guns to instant kill at range.

Seems if I field to many guys she gets in CC fast and moves from squad to squad. If I field fewr with more High str guns, I dont seem to have enough guns. At least how it was in the old rules.

I tried the kroot method once. Didnt work She sits back with her warriors and Pirahas together. The kroot never make it. And since she keeps all her warriros togther If I do drop a sqaud they just get up into a near by squad.

Sniper drones may help a lot though
Old 04 Apr 2006, 18:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

The good thing about WBB rolls are that they need necron models with range, and the rolls are taken after shooting, so if the entire unit drops, unless theres more nearby, they wont be getting back up.

Tactis are different for everyone, res orb will means it'll be hard to take down the lord though, and she should be keeping him close to her advancing units to extend that protection!

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 04 Apr 2006, 18:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

This is a disgustingly brutal matchup against Tau.

LORD - Well, he's going to charge right for you with it, right? It has to die then. Somehow.

PARIAHS - They're slow, stay away from them if possible. Them + Nightmare Shroud = not fun.

WARRIORS - Slow, stay away and ignore them until you kill the other stuff.

WRAITHS - Priority kill, obviously. AP2 or 3 weaponry is a fantastic waste with their invunl save. S8 or higher is also a waste since the lord will be with them. They need to be mass-fired or charged by Kroot.

HEAVY DESTROYERS - Probably need to die right away. Ion Cannon them.

Our units:

HQ - Plasma and Fusion make sense. CIB - your call. Probably a good choice. AFB - he'll learn not to bunch up. It will become useless quickly.

An ethereal may help with the shroud of nightmares, if you can keep him safe.

ELITES - Plasma and fusion crisis. Large stealth squads can inflict some damage and are not half bad in combat against necrons.

TROOPS - Fire Warriors are going to disappoint here. Especially in Devilfish. Kroot on the other hand are a magic bullet. Go for several large squads with shapers to make sure they stick around. You won't get to charge his fast things unless he's dumb, but you can force him to move differently. Keep the Kroot near anything you need protected - the threat of countercharge may keep you safe. Stay in cover, of course. Hounds are wasted points in this matchup, but Oxen will help in combat and provide some more high S fire. You might want to infiltrate though...

FAST - Gun Drones are a poor man's Kroot. Decent in combat, they might be able to hold up wraiths (with no power weapons) for quite a while.

Pathfinders might be a great help. Boosting a unit of stealths to BS5, or reducing necron leadership to 6 for an emergency pinning test can help immensely. If you use them, protect them from the heavy destroyers. Consider getting some seeker missles for them somewhere.

Vespid are pretty good against necrons. They're made of glass though, so use them carefully.

Pirannhas - no.

HEAVY -
An ionhead is needed to kill the heavy destroyers. After that it can work on the pariahs. Don't bother shooting at the wraiths with their invuln 3+ saves unless you need to finish the squad and have nothing else to fire with.

A railhead is useless here.

Broadsides are fairly useless, but they do pack "cheap" plasma. Each broadside can fire 2-3 twinlinked ap2 or better shots each turn. Again, watch out for heavy destroyers.

Sniper Drones could be lots of fun! Combine with markerlights for maximum effect.

Skyrays would be nice in this matchup. Seekers and markerlights are simply awesome.

Quote:
I tried the kroot method once. Didnt work She sits back with her warriors and Pirahas together. The kroot never make it.
No... Kroot are not assault marines! You don't run into 48 necron warriors with them.

Assault depleted squads, or very small squads. Use them to charge the wraiths and other stuff that advances and charges you. Do not seek out a target and charge it. Wait for something to get too close, and move so you can charge or threaten it next turn. Until then, sit back and plink away with your 7 point bolters. Kroot are more efficient at shooting necrons than Fire Warriors are.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 18:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Farsight may be an interesting choice, though you'd loose the kroot/vespid advantage, however it would make for a variant army list as that guy is pretty good in combat! If you just want to win and obliterate him, I wouldnt suggest this!

The lord and wraith move together, meaning you'll need lots of shots against these guys. However that means that pariahs will be on their own and made to move much more slowly as the only sure fire fast way to move these guys is the nightmare cloak - these guys wont be too hard to kill with plasma - comparitve to plasma they've low T, no AS and no WBB!

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 10 Apr 2006, 08:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have a friend who plays necrons, but he doesnt really have much experience. At any rate (i apologize if im repeating any of you) you should set up a firebase with your ranged units and use the kroot to strike out of your ranks at any of his units that make it to your lines, in order for you to keep firing with every. Also watch the lord and see if you can predict where they are heading to with their lord and move to counter this threat with maybe a crisis team or something like that. i hope this helps with your battles, and again i apologise if i have repeated what you have said

"Sometimes, I'm embarrassed to be your friend..."
Old 10 Apr 2006, 08:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

if you take any models with low AP use them to take down the pariahs, as they cost the most (36 points per model), have a pretty devestating weapon and dont get WBB rolls. ionheads, vespids, plasma suits and snipers would be good for this. just be careful with vespids and the soulless rule (any model within 12" of a pariah counts as having ld 7, unless usually lower than that).
Old 10 Apr 2006, 08:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Since everyone is taking time to thoughtfully post tactics, I wanted to say how brutal this is. This is a list that is pure evil. My list would have trouble with this.

Crazy stuff.

Ah, well.

Shoot the Pariahs! They cost lots and have no WBB! Remember: The loser of the game is the player who lost the most VP. Hiding behind cover the entire game, killing 600 points of Necrons... thats a Crushing Victory.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Closed Thread