Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What's new for Stealths?
Closed Thread
Old 04 Apr 2006, 16:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default What's new for Stealths?

My army was stealth-based before I quit and I've restarted...I have the codex, but I don't know what works and what doesn't yet...
Old 04 Apr 2006, 16:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: What's new for Stealths?

well...it's expensive, but you can now get a unit of 6 stealth suits and 12 drones. Make 2 of them marker drones and you get 28 S5 shots with stealth shielding that can deepstrike and get a +1 to their BS...

Also, you can take a unit of three, give the leader a fusion blaster and hardwired target lock, then deepstrike them near a vehicle, blast the vehicle, and hope nobody can penetrate the stealth field...then run around harrassing stuff with the two burst cannons, always able to target something separate with the FB...

Other than that, nothing new for stealths. Still a fantastic unit that should not be seen as a replacement for troops choices.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 04 Apr 2006, 17:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ok i've replied to about twenty of these before.

dont make a stealth team designed to kill tanks. a monat with Twin link and targeting array is far better and cheaper. don't mix units purpose anyways. it dilutes their focus and efficiency.

adding drones is the best way to spend points. customize the squad size to fit your strategy (subtle or beefy) and away you go. i would not recommend marker drones. the plus 1 to BS is not worth the extra 60 points and losing your ability to jump shoot jump.

always remember, the tau have toys that do cool things but only pay for them in the right situation. stealths need to be fast so why slow them down with marker drones?

Old 04 Apr 2006, 17:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
Also, you can take a unit of three, give the leader a fusion blaster and hardwired target lock, then deepstrike them near a vehicle, blast the vehicle, and hope nobody can penetrate the stealth field...then run around harrassing stuff with the two burst cannons, always able to target something separate with the FB...
Problem is that if you can shoot them, statistically, they can shoot you too, as they only need a 6 on 2 dice, odds in their favour. The option to take support systems though is invalid. the 1 in 3 fusion laster though still means to make this unit a valid tank hunter, you'll have to take atleast 6, making it very expensive, and slightly fragile. Marker drones loose the stealths speed, so gun drones may be the better option here!

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 04 Apr 2006, 19:23   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

So what I understand is: the old stealthies are gone, replaced by the new ones...and they still function the same...and people still disaggree on how to equip them...good to see the old argugments still ...
Old 04 Apr 2006, 19:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius

its just now they have more to disagree on...

The rules are basically the same (though they call it an integral stealth generator), just the suits now have more options open to them - one support system, plus fusion.

I suppose it could be argued they can pop up behind a vehicle and fusion them in the soft spots, but who wants to spend that many points to have the unit isolated and destroyed...

-The Bleak Assassin-
Closed Thread