Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A couple of questions concerning Kroot.
Closed Thread
Old 04 Apr 2006, 14:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default A couple of questions concerning Kroot.

I've decided that the Kroot allies will have a place in my army. One of the things that attracted me to the Tau is that they actually have Xenos allies.

So here's the questions.

Just want to make sure... If I add Kroothounds and Krootoxen to my unit, do they count against the unit maximum? Or are they in addition to the number of Kroot warriors allowed?

If I read the general targeting, and casualty selection rules correctly....
Can I use KrootHounds as inexpensive cannon fodder by placing them in the front of my Kroot team? As far as I can tell, it's up to me to decide who actually gets killed when a unit takes wounds. So long as the KrootHound models are in range, they can be removed before warriors, true?

Are the KrootHounds and/or KrootOxen worthwhile? I'd like to include them in the army for "fluff" reasons, but I'd also like to win once in a while. So I don't want to include units that don't pay for themselves.

Thanks....
Old 04 Apr 2006, 14:27   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: A couple of questions concerning Kroot.

Nope, they are addition to a tau force. So you can field for example, 20 kroots plus 12 krott hounds and 3 krootox.

Um, generally, the kroot hounds have a higher initiative and few other traits that makes them better at CC than kroots. But yes, they can be removed if you want them to be removed.

Kroot hounds are worth while but krootox......just say that people prefer kroot hounds over them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 15:19   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It depends on what you are trying to do with your Kroot.

If you are looking for a cheap unit that will tie up the enemy for a few turns I recommind a moderate size Kroot squad with Kroot hounds and a Kroot shaper. Why?

1) The Kroot hounds allow you to strike before space marines. Since Kroot use Rapid Fire weapons, they can not charge if they fire their guns. Kroot hounds are great because they allow you to have a minimum Kroot and the rest can be filled out with high intitiative Kroot hounds.

2) Taking a Kroot Shaper increases your LD so you won't fall back as easily. It's actually not that bad of a deal Yes he is a little pricey, but he has 3 wounds and increased leadership. All at the cost of 3 Kroot. You can also purchase a 6+ armor save, but I'm still wondering of the cost is worth the armor save. It will only have it's advantage in CC though...

3) Use the above strategies only if you plan on infiltrating your Kroot squad.

In regards to the Krootox. I really think you need to tailor your Kroot around him

1) If you want to include Krootox, then keep the Kroot squad down to a minimum.

2) Krootox are not bad at taking out light to medium vehicle types. They are bad ass in CC with thier High str and thier gun has a good str as well. Keep in mind that you infiltrate once you add a Krootox, so this Kroot squad's role is going to change from CC to a Hybrid of CC and tank hunting.

I think the reason why most people do not like Krootox is because they are pricey and you lose infiltrate. I believe all of the guns are Rapid Fire (I dont have the book in front of me at work) so that means you are either going to shoot or assault. You can't do both...

I personally will go with the first config because there is already enough Tau weaponry that can out do what the Krootox does.

I'd field a Kroot squad something like 12 Kroot, 8 Kroot Hounds and a Shaper.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 15:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A single maxed out squad will do wonders to keep people from assaulting your gun line. Who wants to tangle with 35 models that have nearly 100 attacks between them (more on the charge)? At the same time, that squad doesn't go completely to waste if the enemy stays out of assault range, basically having 20 bolters and a couple autocannons.

Also, a unit of 30+ assaulty infiltrators is pretty scary. The only thing worse than 20 boltguns shooting out of 7" of woods with impunity is 30 pissed off carnivores charging you through 12" of woods on turn 2 without ever having been shot at.

The min/max kroot gun squad sounds good...until you realize that the Tau have much better ways of dealing with light vehicles.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 04 Apr 2006, 18:07   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
2) Taking a Kroot Shaper increases your LD so you won't fall back as easily. It's actually not that bad of a deal Yes he is a little pricey, but he has 3 wounds and increased leadership. All at the cost of 3 Kroot. You can also purchase a 6+ armor save, but I'm still wondering of the cost is worth the armor save. It will only have it's advantage in CC though...
Actually the Shaper costs the same as 4 Kroot, you must upgrade a standard Kroot to a Shaper. So he's actually pricey-er, unfortunately.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 19:27   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Oops. Your right. My math is off.

Still, the LD 8 is worth it alone.

I'm still in the air about the armor upgrade. Is it even worth it?
Old 04 Apr 2006, 19:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

The armor upgrade is mathematically worth it, sort of. It is rare to find an AP- gun that it will work against, but it does help against those.

In combat, it will save a Kroot 1/6 times against non-power weapons. Since it costs 6 points to shield 6 kroot, and you will save a 7 point kroot, it is worth it... barely.

But the real cost is that those 20 points aren't being spent elsewhere. There are far better things to do with 20 points than save 1 in 6 kroot from enemy non-power weapon attacks in close combat...
Closed Thread