Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What are your best all around tips?
Closed Thread
Old 04 Apr 2006, 02:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default What are your best all around tips?

OK I am going to be testing out my army at the games workshop place at a mall near me and mind you this is my first "legal" battle so I need some all around tips because I do not know what I will be facing and it would help to have some tips handy ;D

All tips are appreciated ;D

The army I am going to be using is:
Tau Army List:

HQ
-Shas’O
-Missile pod
-Plasma rifle
-Multi tracker
-112 pts

-Shas’El
-Missile Pod
-Plasma Rifle
-Multi Tracker
- Stimulant Injector
-97 pts

Elite
-4x Stealth Suits
-120 pts

Troop
-12x Fire Warriors
-120 pts

-12x Fire Warrior
-120 pts

-13x Kroot
-2x Kroot Hounds
-103 pts

Fast Attack
-6x Gun Drones
-72 pts

Heavy Support
-3x Sniper Drones
-Spotter
-80 pts

-Hammer Head
-Rail Gun
-Smart Missile System
-Multi Tracker
-Target Lock
-Decoy Launcher
-180 pts

Total Points 1004 pts
(I don't know if they let you have a few points +/- but if they don't i can just get rid of one kroot)
Old 04 Apr 2006, 03:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to flowerfall
Default Re: What are your best all around tips?

do it and do it well. You better win and post a battle report. i like to read.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 04:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to etancross Send a message via MSN to etancross Send a message via Yahoo to etancross

I have about that much of my army put together, but i only have about 3 fire warriors painted
I would also be VERY interested in hearing what tips some of the more experienced players out that have for us rookies!! Im just interested in learning more about the Tau in General!!
Old 04 Apr 2006, 04:19   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

as i mostly play necrons/marines.. go plasma, and u would b amazed how good the CIB is againgst everything up to toughness 5
Old 04 Apr 2006, 05:55   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

By the way good list, I like that people still use gun drone squadrons and don't just ugpraged them with drone controller to a suit.

Advice? Well I will give Thamor's top5 things that I need to know to do well...

1.) Know your opponent and his abilities and plan accordingly and never put all your trust in 1 suit/tank/squad. Important things is to know his abilities to move, how far can he assault, what weapons he has, and the special rules for some armies. Necrons come to mind...

2.) Deployment, decide where you put your firebase, try to get a lot of fire to 1/3 of his army in 1st turn and try minimize the amount what he can fire at you back, using good approach to cover and LOS. And never get within 24" of any troops 1st turn, only kroot and stealth suits can be in 18"-24" range. Of course you can't really avoid his infiltrate troops from getting closer to you, but don't get too close to those that you can avoid. 25"-30" is good range to be away from the enemy on 1st turn. Unless you are facing another shooting army, then you can deploy as you please, but usually this comes to mind only against Imperial Guard.

3.) Concentrated fire. Start with those that are the most dangerous to your forces, fast troops - Bikes, Jump troops, troops in transports and later turns those that can assault your troops. Ignore troops that slug 6" and only have 1 heavy weapon on the first turn. If there is only troops that come at you 6" a turn, well you are almost guaranteed a victory. Heavy weapons are another target that you should priorize in taking out, if your opponent is left only with s7 shots, your Hammerhead is almost immune to fire.

4.) Try to have a backup plan when the opponent does get to close to your firebase, do you just fall back, stand and take it (not a good choice), use the kroot to protect you or even use the drones to buy time. If it's turn 4 or 5 and there is a opponent in assault range, it's better to fall back 6" than try shooting at him unless you are very certain that you can finish him in that shooting phase. Remember that opponent within 12"-18" you can march and rapid fire in his face, double your shots to take him down. Another thing to try to hold the tide, is use your shas'el with stimulant injectors (You should give it to shas'o, better in CC).

5.) Fire Order. Shoot first your heavy weapons at important targets, like enemy Tanks, fast units or submunitions to squads, before you mob them up with s5 pulse fire. Fire units who can for the most effect fire only 1 enemy first, and then finish that enemy with another unit. Leave something as a backup fireplan, I leave many times my commander suits last, so that I can see the situation before firing his accurate missile pods. Remember the most dangerous units, there is no such thing as overkill to avoid assault.

Lastly playing with these things in mind. Play the mission, it's sometimes hard to play mission with static Tau, but you have those Suits who can jump closer to objectives in the last 2 turns.

For the Greater Good!

-Thamor
Old 04 Apr 2006, 06:09   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Remember to get your opponents POV.

During the game an (especially) deployment, walk round to your opponents corner/side and have a look at your own force from his POV.

This rule stands true for every army, not just Tau ;D
Old 04 Apr 2006, 06:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Some good ideas from everyone. Kudos.

I found static Tau hard to play. My Fire Warriors were not very effective and died easily. After the first few games, I played with 2 squads of 6 Fire Warriors and as many Crisis suits with Twinlinked Plasma weapons as I could get. Then I read about Mechtau tactics, and mobilized. My Fire Warriors are much more effective now, and my blinged up Devilfish lasted the entire game last time.

I find that tactics evolve. Every game is different, and no one army is the most effective at every scenario. I'm still learning rules and tactics, trying new things. I've been playing about a year now, and I definitely don't know it all. There is no substitute for experience.

My advice would probably be learn the rules and come back here if things aren't working out for you. A lot of rules will benefit you, if you know about them.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 06:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Remember that, given all the options in the new codex, FIREKNIVES ARE WORTHLESS.

As if they wern't before it... grumble.

Click on the blue box for tips and tricks.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 04 Apr 2006, 09:06   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

MechTau why do you hate the fireknife config? It's the only config that gives your suit the range to fire all his weapons to 24", and the best all around, taking infantry and light vehicles.

But you shouldn't go all fireknife configs, but 2xfireknife team is a good choice.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 11:29   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamor
MechTau why do you hate the fireknife config? It's the only config that gives your suit the range to fire all his weapons to 24", and the best all around, taking infantry and light vehicles.

But you shouldn't go all fireknife configs, but 2xfireknife team is a good choice.
I believe its a points efficency thing.

Point for point, they are one of the worst configs for killing MEQ's (infact the plasma rifle is only really point efficent against terminators over 12" now).

Their secondary roll, killing light vehicles, is once again very point inefficent in this configuration.

Stealth Suits are actually better for killing MEQ's while staying out of retaliation range(point for point burstcannons kill more marines than a PR at 13" to 18") and Deathrains (tl missile pod and a targeting array) are far more efficent for killing light transports.

If your going to get close enough to use your plasma rifle to full effect, the range of the missile pod is wasted (and the range IS a factor when determining the points cost of a weapon).

The fireknife IS very flexable, but in a skilled players hands flexability should not be needed, especially with fast units like suits who are fully capable of relocating to their designated target type.

If your dead set on using crises suits to kill marines you have to get upclose and personal otherwise the points are better spent elsewhere. This means a Plamsa rifle/Fusion blaster config, or if your willing to throw caution to the wind a Plamsa rifle/flamer combo (a close range, well positioned flamer kills more marines than a rapidfiring plasmarifle, and is about 1/4 the price), though the plasma/flamer combo HAS to be backed up by an assault unit to prevent survivours pinning it in place.

A crises suit with Tl Missile Pod and Targeting Array is 53 points. 106 points for a total of 4 st 7* (with jsj adding range) 42" shots almost hitting on an equivalent of 2+* Is the best light vehicle killer in your army and with the addition of a single piece of LOS blocking terrain becomes almost un-killable.

A crises suit with flamer, pr and multitracker comes out at 54 pts. at close range a 3 man team will kill around 4.8 marines....thats a las/plas killer right there.Once again i have to emphasize supporting them with another squad to engage in a pinning/mopping up assault .

To the OP, get rid of the El's config and replace it with Fusion Blaster,Flamer, vectored thrusters, h/w multi tracker and stimms. You got yourself a nice 'pinning' charger right there for the nice low price of 91 pts (6 pts cheeper than yours)

When an enemy unit gets too close , roll up, unleash his weapons then charge. With the wargear combo it will take 36 marine attacks to kill him (stay away from powerswords and powerfists like the plague).At the end of your opponents assault phase hit the vectored thrusters and dance away, leaving the enemy squad prime for a bashing in your turn. Rinse and repeate.
Closed Thread