Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Screwed with pulse carbines
Closed Thread
Old 04 Apr 2006, 02:07   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Screwed with pulse carbines

OK I'm new at this:

Sorry for bothering everyone but, am i absolutely doomed with my firewarriors? I gave 6 of them pulse carbines (in spite of the new rules) and i figured out that they really suck. Is there any tactics i could use carbines to my advantage?

Ty for your time,

The Traveler 8)

#thetraveler
Old 04 Apr 2006, 02:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Screwed with pulse carbines

Under the new rules, Carbines can be quite powerful - forcing multiple negative modifiers on pinning checks.

Imagine this...
Marine Player: 'Haha... you're making me take a pinning check, I've got a Force Commander, so I'm testing at Leadership...'
You: '6.'
Marine Player: 'But... but...'
You: 'Four Markerlights.'
Marine Player: '<bleeped>.'
Old 04 Apr 2006, 02:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yup. Pin a non fearless squad all you wish now with the ultimate anti infantry tool now. Pulse carbines plus an average of 4 hits from a pathfinder squad.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 02:15   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It really is possible to remove the carbine arms and replace them with pulse rifle arms...though if the models are already painted, that would be a problem. Hmmm, perhaps convert the carbine firewarriors to pathfinders (remove shoulder pad and backpack...though again if they are already painted :-\). Or maybe make 6 more carbine firewarriors and have a full squad able to pin; but if you're like me and have had little luck with carbines then either change them back to rifles, make them pathfinders, or try a full carbine squad.

Thus is my two cents...
Old 04 Apr 2006, 02:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

You could also take 2 markerlight drones with a full up carbine squad, just for a self sufficient pinning unit. Be great for a static tau army to prevent an assaulty army from riding into your troops.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 06:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I don't use pinning, at all. I think it's unreliable at best. Taking carbines means less range and less shots compared to rifles. I'd rather use Markerlight hits for the BS increase on a couple squads and decimate the target.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 06:59   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Welcome to the forums!

Pinning is really only a reliable tactic only if you can decrease a target's leadership to below 7. Marker Drones in a static squad are probably better used increasing BS. When it comes down to it, Rail Rifles are a better choice for forcing the tests, as they are far more likely to actually cause a wound. If you must use carbines, Gun Drones might be more effective.

That said, an entire unit of Fire Warriors with Carbines is formidable even in its own right. With an intermediate effective range between dismounted Mech Tau and Static teams, smaller units of Fire Warriors with carbines are a nice little surprise that your opponent may overlook unless they are the only available target.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 07:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetraveler0
OK I'm new at this:

Sorry for bothering everyone but, am i absolutely doomed with my firewarriors? I gave 6 of them pulse carbines (in spite of the new rules) and i figured out that they really suck. Is there any tactics i could use carbines to my advantage?

Ty for your time,

The Traveler 8)
Get another squad of 12 FW and build them, 6 with carbines. Then take all the pulse rifle models, put them in one squad, and put all the carbine models in another squad (IMO it's best to have similar weapons, rather than a mix, such as the 50/50 one you had before). The pulse rifle squad would have either the usual sit and shoot tactics, or be mounted up in a devilfish and use mechanised tactics. The carbine squad on the other hand is able to move, shoot, and assault all in one turn - the important bit is being able to move and still shoot up to maximum range. This would presumably open up the way for it's own tactics - a unit that doesn't need a vehicle to keep mobile AND keep shooting - allowing you to slowly make your way up the board towards objectives etc, whilst also being able to shoot along the way. A smaller unit of 6 would be a cheap, mobile scoring unit with a small amount of fire power in it's hands.

I wouldn't be so dependent on the pinning aspect.. for one thing you need to cause a wound in the first place - and as previously stated, rail rifles are much better for this.

To sum up - the advantages of a carbine equipped squad are:
- Being able to Move AND Shoot in the same turn, to maximum range
- Not necessarily 'needing' a transport - in terms of mobility - it is inbetween a static squad and a mounted squad.

Disadvantages would be:
- Slightly less maximum effective range (24")
- Less firepower at close range
Old 04 Apr 2006, 07:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG

I suggest doing as mace says... I tried this method out and found it to be fairly effective

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 07:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

if you get good with mesuring the enemy shouldent be able to reach you with rapid fire. thought in City fight you will find there useful there. if your fighthing agaisnt any on who doesnt have a 18"+ assult range or isnt teminator you should do all right.
Closed Thread