Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help me with markerlights rules (advice needed)
Closed Thread
Old 03 Apr 2006, 09:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Help me with markerlights rules (advice needed)

Hello,
I am quite newbie with tau and although last weekend I chewed up my opponent's 1000 pts Chaos undivided army having minor casualties, I didn't use markerlights/marker drones because I don't follow clearly the rules for using this equipment.
I have the old Tau Codex and the new Tau empire codex. Could anyone explain me the rules and differences between the two codexes. I don't clear see the advantages and I don't understand the networked markerlight? What advantages does it give to your army?
I think that I am missing something that can be very usefull for our Tau and because I don't clear understand the rules I don't use then for not making "turbulences" in my games with my friends.
Thanks to all in advance.

Padawan
Old 03 Apr 2006, 10:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Help me with markerlights rules (advice needed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
Hello,
I am quite newbie with tau and although last weekend I chewed up my opponent's 1000 pts Chaos undivided army having minor casualties, I didn't use markerlights/marker drones because I don't follow clearly the rules for using this equipment.
I have the old Tau Codex and the new Tau empire codex. Could anyone explain me the rules and differences between the two codexes. I don't clear see the advantages and I don't understand the networked markerlight? What advantages does it give to your army?
I think that I am missing something that can be very usefull for our Tau and because I don't clear understand the rules I don't use then for not making "turbulences" in my games with my friends.
Thanks to all in advance.

Padawan
you've read both, and you can't see the changes?? Ok.... fair enough, but check all the other threads for the various improvements - crisis points costs, ion cannon points costs, kroot being streamlined, new wargear, new vehicles, new markerlight rules. read both codices man. the changes are very, very evident.

tau generally work the same. crisis suits do their old job, its just generally, they're now a lot cheaper. thats it for them, really!
Kroot hounds and krootox no longer take up FA and HS slots, respectively. they still do their old job.
ion cannons are cheaper!
vespids can kill things, and move really, really fast.
pirahnas can blow up vehicles, and move really fast (think open topped SM land speeder)

new markerlight rules. read the codex because its all there. effectively, roll to hit as normal.
8 Pathfinders target a squad of gaunts. 5 hit.
put 5 counters by this squad, or as i do, put a dice by them with the number facing up equal to the hits, in this case, the "5" would be faced up. decide how you're gonna spend the counters. the codex will tell you what you can do ( BS improvement, negate cover saves, ignore target priority, launch seeker missile, negate leadership and so on and so forth) So, lets say you use the counters to bump up a rapid firing fire warrior squad to bs5, and negate the gaunt cover save by 2 (lets say they're in woods)
your fire warriors hit and kill on 2s.

the networked markerlight is simple. regular markerlights cant "spot" for their own squads. 8 pathfinders with 3 rail rifles. the 5 markerlights cant spot for these rail rifles. with a networked markerlight, the squad its part of can use the markerlight hit, for example sniper drone teams.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 03 Apr 2006, 13:53   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I liked more the old marker lights, you have to fire a lot more nowadays to get efficient results with markerlights...

In the old codex your markerlight for the same pts, needed only 1 hit to give 1 weapon 2+ hitting chance and negated cover. So only 1 hit did this all, the new codex gives the unit too many dazzling options. In the end you need 4 hits from the new markerlight to get the same result as the old codex could give you. (Target Array units need only 3 hits).

For me the most annoying thing that was done was to weaken the ability to remove cover saves. I loved to hit a markerlight on opponents unit then hit it with 2+ submunition and kill everything with 2+ and he didn't get any saves, this with only 1 markerlight. Now you have to hit 3 times for submunition to the same effect...
Old 03 Apr 2006, 13:57   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think th reason why they powered down the Markerlight is because of game balance. With all the new stuff in the codex, it is fair enough that it have to be weaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 14:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Markerlights have only gotten better. For instance, 1 pathfinder team shoots all of its shots at 1 marine team. 1st unit of vespids shoots at said SMurf unit hit on 2s, wound on 3s no saves, that is one dead marine squad. Not only that, u have 4 or 5 ui's with markerlights in your FW squads fire at a second SMurf unit. Then your 2nd unit of vespid do the same thing to that squad. On first turn that is really devestating to any army to have 2 units decimated, and what is sad, is that is only 3 full units shooting. You'ld still have the 4 or 5 FW squads, HQs, Elites, etc. shooting. That would be one painfully hurt SMurf player.

"We are the might of Tau'va and the Aun. Our might knows no bounds and our Technology can overcome any foe. We are the Omega Cadre and we conquer in the name of TAU'VA!!!!" Common pre-engagement encouragement from Shas'Ui of the Omega Cadre before battle commences.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 15:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis_vyper
I think th reason why they powered down the Markerlight is because of game balance. With all the new stuff in the codex, it is fair enough that it have to be weaken.
It boggles my mind that anyone could interpret the markerlight rules as weakened.

Simply put, they have gone from making one weapon SYSTEM on one MODEL in a unit (i.e. the missile pod on a crisis suit, or ONE burst cannon from a stealth team unit) to hit on a 2+ to allowing ALL weapon systems in an ENTIRE unit to hit at +1 Ballistic Skill (which is stackable up to BS5, the maximum BS in the game).

This is a huge bonus to our army. This is the MAIN threat of the Tau army now. Virtually all weapons of S5 and up, hitting often on 3s. Think of the phrase (my new motto in fact) "Hitting on 3s, wounding on 3s" We are to Marines in the shooting phase what marines are to every regular army out there. With greater range and more mobility.

Disperse markerlights into as many fire warrior units as you can, via the Shas'Ui upgrade, a markerligth for him, and if you have the points, the hard-wired Target Lock. "Paint" (meaning hit with markerlight) as many threatening units as you can, and hand them off to a unit with +1 BS, and watch the units simply disappear like magic.

Integrated Markerlights in Fire Warrior teams are cheaper and more surviveable than Pathfinders nowadays, and I'm advocating a new Fire Warrior unit using both a Shas'Ui markerligth w/Target Lock (for painting targets other than that which the Fire Warriors are shooting at) AND the Shas'Ui fielding a Hard-Wired drone controller plus one Markerlight drone (which can affect the shooting of the fire warriors to which it belongs).

Networked Markerlights simply fire before the main unit (at the same target as the main unit) and if the markerlight hits, than the owning unit may benefit from that hit (but is not required to, but it's a simply way to get +1 BS for your firing unit 50 percent of the time).

Fielding 4 Fire Warrior teams each with a Shas'Ui with Markerlight & Target Lock for himself, plus the Drone Controller and Marker Drone, adds 45 points to each unit, or 180 points, which is about as cheap as you can get a 4- or 6-model unit of Pathfinders (including Devilfish), while giving your markerlight MUCH greater survivability, and the ability to fire at up to 8 different targets rather than 2 for the Pathfinders.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 03 Apr 2006, 15:28   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Sorry dude. I was talking in term of BS. :P (But that you stack them up and them super BS)

But yeah, helio the new ones are more funkier. Sorry about the misconception helio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 16:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It's even more fun when you opponent will allow forgeworld models. I have an XV-84 (the one with the Markerlight), and the ability to hit with a Markerlight on 2+ is VERY nice.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 06:12   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yes the new markerlights are good now. But I wouldn't go overboard with them, you lose a lot of firepower for a weapon that doesn't kill anything. And pathfinders are still pretty easy to wipe off the board for the enemy, if he knows to target them that is.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 16:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamor
Yes the new markerlights are good now. But I wouldn't go overboard with them, you lose a lot of firepower for a weapon that doesn't kill anything. And pathfinders are still pretty easy to wipe off the board for the enemy, if he knows to target them that is.
Actually, I bury my markerlights in my fire warrior squads and my HQ has a markerlight. As for the markerlight not killing anything... when I go from hit rates of 33% to 90%, that's a whole lot of killing! Before the new markerlight rules, my stealth suits could not hit the broadside of a barn, but now... watch out!