Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Skimmer pilots - a breed apart?
Closed Thread
Old 03 Apr 2006, 09:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Skimmer pilots - a breed apart?

It occured to me recently that regular FW's must look at skimmer pilots in a different light. Well, maybe not so much Hammerhead and Devilfish crews, but they MUST think Pirahna flyers are freakin NUTS! Think about it, normal FW doctrine says blow the crap outa stuff from FAAAAAAR away. A Pirahnas job on the other hand, other than the occassional seeker boat and troop hosing duties, is mainly to fly RIGHT UP IN THE FACE of enemy TANKS with FB's. This is in total opposition to normal Tau fighting practices. It just seems to me the regular line troops must think these guys are off their rocker. I'm wondering if this means that the Pirahna crews are shunned because of this, or are held in a kind of awe and respect-similar to battlesuit pilots. What do you guys think?
Old 03 Apr 2006, 09:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG
Default Re: Skimmer pilots - a breed apart?

I believe all crews are held in respect for different reasons:

HH crew for their necessity in combat, since they are relied upon to handle the big armor and need excelent aiming

DF crew for safely transporting squads which depend on them to keep them safe while in transit

Piranha crews for being fearless and doing stuff most wouldn't dare

Tetra crews for doing the same as piranha crews, but with stealth added on top of that (theoretically, gamewise, it doesn't make much difference)

Suit pilots, well this is obvious, they are superior officers who have survived battle long enough to have the privilege to wear the suits so as to further carry on fighting for the Tau'va

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 09:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

not realy. a pirhana is a Civey vechial which has been moded for combat. its the equivlent of a pickup truck with a machine gun on top.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 09:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfeix
not realy. a pirhana is a Civey vechial which has been moded for combat. its the equivlent of a pickup truck with a machine gun on top.
that wouldn't make any difference. If used well in combat, they will be respected and if they act as cowards (which I doubt since the crew is made up of FW), then they will be despised. Afterall, in combat, "if it works, keep it... if it doesn't, trash it"... and IMO it works pretty well

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 09:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggdawggnt
It occured to me recently that regular FW's must look at skimmer pilots in a different light. Well, maybe not so much Hammerhead and Devilfish crews, but they MUST think Pirahna flyers are freakin NUTS! Think about it, normal FW doctrine says blow the Klkn outa stuff from FAAAAAAR away. A Pirahnas job on the other hand, other than the occassional seeker boat and troop hosing duties, is mainly to fly RIGHT UP IN THE FACE of enemy TANKS with FB's. This is in total opposition to normal Tau fighting practices. It just seems to me the regular line troops must think these guys are off their rocker. I'm wondering if this means that the Pirahna crews are shunned because of this, or are held in a kind of awe and respect-similar to battlesuit pilots. What do you guys think?
marine grunts don't look at their brothers in the 8th (assault) company and see them as nuts for flying land speeders. why should tau grunts? remember the damn pirahna is too bloody fast to be efficiently targetted (outside game mechanics)

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 03 Apr 2006, 09:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't think Fusion Blaster equates to Machine Gun, Burst Cannon MAYBE, but who uses those?

And PICKUP TRUCK??????

Can somebody tell me where there is a cargo bed on a Piranha, I haven't noticed any.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 10:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Bah to tau pilots.

Look at the HH

One guy drives, all controll surfaces are hooked up to a computer. So when the pitot push's Lleft on the controll stick, the didital information is sent to the comp, the comp then orders 15 differnt parts to fullfill a movement.

Its how the F-117s and B-2s work.

Then for the gun, you can just stuff a guy in the turret. :P

Old 03 Apr 2006, 11:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I dont mean nuts in a BAD Hannibal Lechter kid of way.

More like Howlin Mad Murdock from the A-Team.

Y'know like getting respect from slack jawed grunts sayin things such as:
"WHOA!!! DID YOU SEE THAT??
Kais and Rylo just scrapped a Land Raider BY THEMSELVES!!!
Now they're goin after those Razorbacks!
I'm tellin ya dem Tau's is CRAZY, fellas.

and later, after our intrepid heroes obliterate aforementioned transports:
"GO KAIS, GO RYLO, YOUDA TAU, YOUDA TAU!!!" while giving whatever Tau
do for a thumbs up.

yes, i know the names aren't all that inventive and Tau prolly don't talk like that but you get my point and besides i'm at the end of a long shift and i only have had 4 hours sleep so gimme a break ok?

Old 03 Apr 2006, 13:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I very much doubt the HH has only one driver (Does it list crew in the codex? I didn't notice.) The friggin Pirannha has two pilots, for goodness sake! Well, mine won't. One guy can fly and fire with drone assisted targetting, darnit!
Old 03 Apr 2006, 15:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'd imagine pirhana crew would be looked upon in a similar light to Stealth suit pilots.

The sort of "They're crazy, but for them crazy works."

or

"I'm glad those guys are on my side"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Closed Thread