Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

General advice for facing Tyranids....
Closed Thread
Old 03 Apr 2006, 08:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default General advice for facing Tyranids....

Greetings all,
im new to the site and pretty new to 40k and Tau.
Ive had around 5 games so far, all against nids.

My opponent is a very experienced player and ive managed to fight him to a draw twice. The other two times my Tau were eaten to death.

I recently bought the new Tau Empire codex and am looking to build my own army. Up till now I have been using my opponents Tau models.
Ive aquired some of his old painted models and am looking for advice on what else to go for?......

So far I have 12 fire warriors, 3 crisis suits, 3 broadsides and a hammerhead and devilfish.
Any advice on what to take for expansion would be greatly appreciated.
My opponent loves big nid monsters, especialy carnifexes. He took 3 of the beasts in our last 1000 point game. Might be worth bearing in mind.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 08:50   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to hawkmang
Default Re: General advice for facing nids....

If your looking what to buy to verse your friend, it would help if you told everybody your friends army list.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 08:58   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

He will generaly field several units of warriors, one jumping type and one shooty.
Otherwise he tends to field a few ripper swarms and at least one carnifex. Sometimes up to three of these in a 1000 point game.

He also likes to use a broodlord and a big pack of superstealers.

Old 03 Apr 2006, 09:12   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll

OK, first, most basic rule when playing tyranids - Don't set up to the edge of your deployment zone. Leave a couple of inches just to make sure that if he brings hormagaunts he can't get a Turn 1 charge.

I'd recommend getting at least 1 more squad of firewarriors in there, you'll really need the firepower.

Your first target should be the Broodlord and the leaping warriors. These pose the biggest threat to you in the opening turns of the game. If they get into combat then you'll need more luck than anyone can give you to rescue the game from defeat. Focus on the broodlord with at least 2 units of firewarriors, the high strength weaponry should cause quite a few casualties. Then fire the hammerhead and devilfish at the warriors. With a bit of luck you'll cause enough casualties in your first shooting phase to neutralise these threats.

Next you need to target the Carnifexes. These can reek havoc if they reach your lines as it is almost impossible for you to hurt them. (Then again it's almost impossible for most people to hurt them in combat) Fire the broadsides and crisis suits at 1 carnifex. Take them out one at a time, don't just wound them a bit and then think it's OK bcause that will be the last mistake your tau make in this game.

With a bit of luck by turn 2 all he'll have left is 2 carnifexes, the shooty warriors and the rippers. I'd recommend targetting the carnifexes again this turn, but this time use everything you've got to bring them down. this reduces his hopes of getting into combat and salvaging something from the game. However, maybe you should reserve the firepower of the Devilfish, and possibly the Hammerhead to take out his shooty warrior squad if the firewarriors and suits do well in harming the carnifex.

Oh and don't forget, if he has a carnifex with ranged weapons, take that one out first. Never underestimate Tyranid shooting ability, it might just ruin all your hopes and plans.

Hope this helps.
Mkoll.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 09:41   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks. Those are tactics that i've used before and they seem to work quite well.

My friend always takes the toughness upgrade for his carnifexes, so fire warrior shooting becomes almost ineffective against it.
I was thinking of getting a pathfinder squad and a sky ray, markerlight the thing and fire as many seeker missles as I can at the carnifexes. Would that work?
Within the peramitters of a battlefield of course.

So the advice so far is, get another squad of fire warriors!
Anything else that could benefit me?
Old 03 Apr 2006, 12:49   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Unfortunately I can't really advise you on what units to buy to help you because I don't know the Tau codex, that well. In fact I know very, very little about them. However I can give you all the advice you need on Tyranids and I can give you tips with Marines too, but I'm best with 'Nids.

If you need to know anything about 'Nids just PM me and I'll reply ASAP.

Sorry I can't help more. :-\
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Quote:
Old 03 Apr 2006, 13:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

id reccomend at least 36 fire warriors. THe massed firepower will down just about anything, for relatively cheap.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 13:17   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ok.
Thanks a lot for the previous help anyway. Its much appreciated.

Hopefully i'll be able to defeat the gribblies soon enough.

Trying to keep this going, what does everyone arm their crisis suits with, when facing nids?
Ive been sticking to twin-linked plasma guns so far....but havent played using the new codex yet.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 13:48   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'd recommend arming the suits differently. 1 squad with high strength, high AP weaponry to target his monstrous creatures ASAP and the other unit with average strength, multiple shot weaponry to target his rippers and warriors, not to mention his broodlord.

Unfortunately I can't recommend particular weapons but this combination should be effective.

Anything else?
Quote:

Quote:
Old 03 Apr 2006, 14:18   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thats a good idea.
I'll have massed fire power from my fire warriors for the smaller things. A small mobile unit of crisis suits with burst cannons and missle pods for the small - medium gribblies. Finally i'll have broadsides and crisis suits armed with plasma rifles and fusion blasters for the bigger gribblies. That should have those carnifexes excreeting, undigestable biomass.

That broodlord still worries me though. I think im going to need to put a sacraficial squad out on each side so he cant run down my whole army! ???
Closed Thread