Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Assault drones
Closed Thread
Old 03 Apr 2006, 05:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Assault drones

this is an odd possibility i've been playing with:

3x 8-drone squads assaulting enemt troops and auctally BEATING them with supremely efficency.

i got this idea when i was playing against space marines, and my stealth teams were being assaulted, however my gundrones were auctally beating the marines back while striking simo with the marines

any possibilty that this tactic could work?
(I play with 6x drones per team)
Old 03 Apr 2006, 05:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Assault drones

lol im glad someone else noticed this.adding drones to a stealth team and shoot chare is actually a very good idea.
or 3 teams of 8 if u don't need the fast attack slots, works really well if u ambush.
not only that but u can easily tie up units while you evacuate.
it's a really good idea. and i recommmend you try it.
from personal experience thoug adding drones to squads and charging is a better idea.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 06:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire

I like it. I really do! Infact, I'm going to work out the stats! I'd recommend it against Guardsmen or something, because they can't strike back.
Shooting: 24 shots, 13.54 hits, 11.291 wounds, 11.291 kills.
Assault: 48 attacks, 24 hits, 12 wounds, 8.04 kills.

So, atogether, that's nearly 20 kills!

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 03 Apr 2006, 09:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

and another one just found out about the frisbys of death. enjoy they are a good laught
Old 03 Apr 2006, 09:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to PrdiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfeix
and another one just found out about the frisbys of death. enjoy they are a good laught
that's a cool name for the tactic... I'll have to add it to my personal compilation

Death is only the beginning. It is a gateway accessing the unknown, and, sooner-or-later, we will all cross over.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 09:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

drones as a unit themselves are dodgy. very expensive.

the SM initiative is nice, but they're still only hitting on 5s, and wounding on 5s. whats more, whoever they're fighting gets an armour save. by definition, that is not a very good assault unit.

secondly, giving enough drones to such a stealth unit makes the stealth squad huge, unwieldy, and it gets thrown very high on the target priority lists for leman russes or massed gaunt attacks.

if you take drones at all, do the proper tau thing, and use them to support your fire warriors. id rather leave them at home and rely on fire warriors, hammerheads and crisis suits.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 03 Apr 2006, 11:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight

...secondly, giving enough drones to such a stealth unit makes the stealth squad huge, unwieldy, and it gets thrown very high on the target priority lists for leman russes or massed gaunt attacks...
Exactly that happened to my mega stealth squad. Wanna know how it ended?

I beat the sh*t out of the hormagaunts that charged me, cause i had 8 STR4 attacks and 6STR3 attacks all striking first.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 13:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Personally I'm happy with the free devilfish drones doing my dirty assault work. Very often they will either cause a casualty or stay in combat for an extra round against a depleted marine squad, either of which is desirable. They've also killed 3 or 4 HQs in my last 10 games or so. Incredibly lucky but... =D

Just be careful about letting your opponent gain extra movement from a massacre...
Old 03 Apr 2006, 22:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
hows that ture there more effeint than fire warriors at range

Quote:
the SM initiative is nice, but they're still only hitting on 5s, and wounding on 5s. whats more, whoever they're fighting gets an armour save. by definition, that is not a very good assault unit.
hiting on 4s attualy and weight of attacks can be good. and just becaude some get an armour save dosnt mean they cant win. if put up against attaul assult squads with out serious number you would die easly

Quote:
secondly, giving enough drones to such a stealth unit makes the stealth squad huge, unwieldy, and it gets thrown very high on the target priority lists for leman russes or massed gaunt attacks.
and then we have the perfect bait then dont we

Quote:
if you take drones at all, do the proper tau thing, and use them to support your fire warriors.
do the proper tau thing? proper tau thing is to use unit there best advantge. the world chess master beat the computer only becuase he made random moves throwing it off, this works on humans as well. most people no tau arnt good at assult it throws them when you do. i find drones do it quite well

Quote:
id rather leave them at home and rely on fire warriors, hammerheads and crisis suits.
whats the piont in talking if you have a closed minded? i never get that.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 22:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Frizbees of Death are really just another form of speedbumps. Just like Kroot, we fire/ assault and expect them to die the next turn. Other then better guns/JSJ/armor, I rather have a squad that costs the same (8 gundrones= 13 Kroot with an extra 5 pionts left over). Besides Kroot have up to 3 attacks while the drones have 2. This means 39 attacks compared to 16.
Closed Thread