Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need help with Stealth Suits
Closed Thread
Old 03 Apr 2006, 04:05   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Need help with Stealth Suits

Hi All,

I'm about to put together my Stealth Suites, but I have one question before I do so.

I am stuck on whether I should upgrade one to a Fusion gun. Honestly I'd rather Give them all Burst cannons so I can get 9 shots at Str 5. HOwever, I can upgrade the one to a fusiion, but then I am reducing his range and shots fired. Is it even worth it? Should I save the Low AP high str guns for outher Units?

This is for a unit of 3 suits, but maybe I need to add another 2 Stealth Suits for 4 Burst cannons and one fusion.

ALso, what does everyone think of adding Gun Drones to this unit for added pinning potential. Since we can add support system, is the targetting array worth the 10 points each? It may, since the cannons are shooting 3 shots per steath suit, meaning that 2 out of 3 shots are going to now hit.

Thoughts?

Old 03 Apr 2006, 04:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to flowerfall
Default Re: Need help with Stealth Suites

its good, using the whole burst cannon team in combination wish FoF although infilatrating is required. If you find yourself a tank out there. Let your frire warriors perform FoF then take a fusion blaster, Infiltrate and hope to take that tank out. There are pros and cons. all depends whether you want that unit to kill a tank or infantry
Old 03 Apr 2006, 04:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think a unit should specialize. Stealthsuits Stealtharmor effects are dependant on range, so short range weapons like the fusion blaster increase the vulnerability of the squad if you use them, and decrease firepower if you don't use them. Go with all burst cannons. They can still hit low AV vehicles, freeing up rail guns for tougher stuff.

Gun Drones seem like an excellent upgrade for stealthsuits. Try to find my Mega Stealth article, describing squads of 6 stealth and 12 gun drones. I've never tried it, but the gist is that the Gun Drones get Stealtharmor and Stealthsuit Ld, plus they can take the hits that would normally hit the stealthsuits.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 04:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

It might be best to buy some magnets and drill bits now. You do use them for your crisis suits, right? =D

Personally I see no reason to put the fusion blaster in there. Then again, I've never played with such a team. It might be useful.

The gun drones are good. I'm a fan of the 3 stealth, 5 drone unit. 8 units, need 5 dead to drop below half. Although this means you use all 3 support systems for drone controllers. Keep in mind that this changes the footprint of the unit - it is easier to hide, and jump-shoot-jump, with 3 stealths, than 3 stealths and 5 drones. It's a good place to put drones though, they're 2 points cheaper and get a free stealth field.

Targetting arrays on stealths are not needed. Each array adds exactly as much killing power as 1/3 of a stealth. Since it is 1/3 the points of a stealth, you are better off adding another stealth and getting the extra wound. The exception is that a TA pairs nicely with a fusion blaster.

In conclusion, I now run my stealths all plain in units of 4 or 6. I'd like to try the others, but I don't expect any specific benefit from them. It would just be a different play style.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 04:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

FB: Socks leggings.

Burst Cannons on a stealthy, JSJ platform: Capt. Kick@$$

4 Stealths, TA

OR

6 Stealths

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 03 Apr 2006, 05:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i just started a very similar thread.

i've done a ton of math and concept thinking.

the best thing to get with stealths is burst cannons and drones. heres why:
Burst Cannon:
stealth suits purpose is annoyance and infantry killing. to annoy you have to stay alive, the more range the easier that is. burst cannons are way better than a fusion at infantry killing. if u do get FB to get those tanks you have to get TL too or you'll waste your shots on the tanks armor. this costs too much

Drones:
3 drones cost the same but are better in every way, better accuracy and pinning and initiative. they just need the stealth field. so attach them to the stealth teams and away you go.

why not to get other equipment:
targetting array, although it looks good shooting with better accuracy there is only one time it is ever better. when your squad is full(6suits), you don't use pathfinders and you don't want to add drones because you'll be to big. then and only then is it worth getting. i already typed up why on my thread and i don't wanna repeat myself so just trust me.
MT: u have one weapon
TL: don't dilute your fire, stick to their purpose.
BSF: night fight range is avg 18-21" you don't need farther.

that's why if u want support options get drones. they add attacks shots wounds accuracy and pinning at a cheap cost. plus the controller is free, they all have to take support options so u take controller with no drones and u can pick how many u want. i recommend bonding if u do add drones tho.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 06:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Good points. Pinning and accuracy count. A three-man stealth team with six drones has a large footprint, but is lethal.

Assembling drones is so easy it is boring though.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 03 Apr 2006, 07:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Need help with Stealth Suits

Hmmmm...is it only XV-25 models that can take the DCs? I've got 12 XV-15s right now, I plan on getting a unit of 6 25s just to distract from the flanking xv-15s. However, now I may just have 6 25s and 12 Drones. Run them up the middle while the smaller, less-scary looking 15s make a run up either flank (or one flank if I'm mean) and slaughter everything. It's just too bad a squad like that won't create priority checks. It'd be great to see a failed priority AND a failed nightfight in the same turn with a setup of 18 models. Be real mean and spread'em out.

Of course, you could still do that, and hope they just forget that the Stealths don't block LOS or cause Priority checks, but that's kinda sneaky and underhanded.

Oh, and when it comes to drones and Stealths together, just remember; "A bigger footprint means a larger squish."
Old 03 Apr 2006, 14:01   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hmm, it's starting to sound like 3 Burst cannons and 2-3 Gun drones are the way to go.

I'll need to buy more Drone Sprues though as I want to paint them the same scheme as my stealths.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 14:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion549
Hmmmm...is it only XV-25 models that can take the DCs? I've got 12 XV-15s right now, I plan on getting a unit of 6 25s just to distract from the flanking xv-15s. However, now I may just have 6 25s and 12 Drones. Run them up the middle while the smaller, less-scary looking 15s make a run up either flank (or one flank if I'm mean) and slaughter everything. It's just too bad a squad like that won't create priority checks. It'd be great to see a failed priority AND a failed nightfight in the same turn with a setup of 18 models. Be real mean and spread'em out.

Of course, you could still do that, and hope they just forget that the Stealths don't block LOS or cause Priority checks, but that's kinda sneaky and underhanded.

Oh, and when it comes to drones and Stealths together, just remember; "A bigger footprint means a larger squish."
There is nothing in the codex that says you cant put support systems on your XV15s Its just that the XV25 models come with the support systems in the box and can have them added without converting.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Closed Thread