Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Can Mech Tau win tournaments?
Closed Thread
Old 02 Apr 2006, 22:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Can Mech Tau win tournaments?

hi i have a hybrid tau army which Ive not used in a while. i made a SM army to use in tournaments, which works well i came 2nd out of 50 in the last one i entered. with the new codex out i was thinking of changing to mech an i just wondering your opinions on wether they can really compete against other veteran gamers an there armies in tournaments and do well.
Old 02 Apr 2006, 22:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to kin7777 Send a message via MSN to kin7777
Default Re: Can tau Mech win tournaments

like any army list, if you use it right, it will work well.
;D

PUNK'S NOT DEAD
Think, it's not illegal yet.
Old 02 Apr 2006, 23:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

It will be tough, but yes.

If you build a good hard mech list, and you learn the conservative, focused and patient (you HAVE to be patient) playing style of mech tau, you will have very good chances of getting good scores at tournaments. The score you get not only depends on how much of him you kill, but mainly about how many models you lose, and how many objectives you have captured. Mech tau excell at both these things, and in fact are focused on winning by staying alive, capturing objectives and not get in any unececary fights.

Your bigest problems will comes from fighting fast and hard hitting armies like eldar, ravenwing, rough riders, alpha legion, white scars, KoS & drop pod marines with melta guns. Make you you practise, especially againt eldar, KoS and imperial guard armies, cause they will cause the most damage (and lower ranking) to you.
Old 02 Apr 2006, 23:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

A well made, well led mech tau army will cause a victorious slaughter/crushing victory almost everytime. A good tournament ought to have plenty (truly 25+% covered) of the table terrained. This makes static armies da suck, and gives Mech an advantage.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 03 Apr 2006, 00:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Most Mech Tau veterans will say that it is the ONLY way to play in a tournament, although the new codex may change some minds. I believe it was general consensus that Mech Tau was the "best" approach to the old codex.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 01:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman

I've done it.
You might not kill as much, but you are fast, hard to kill and generally they will waste all their anti infantry weapons! YAY!

(Trumpit sounds, 600 posts! yay!)
Old 03 Apr 2006, 03:17   #7 (permalink)
lonely tau

it is actually quite easy to win with a mech tau army. although i use more of a hybrid (i use kroot in it ) i completely dominated my first (and so far only) tournament, second place with 1 under a perfect score. in a mech Tau army the best thing to do is just to isolate elements in the opponents army and destroy them and move on befor they can mount a counter attack.

Old 03 Apr 2006, 03:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've gone back to mechanized, to the point that I'm not taking pathfinders just so I can start Escalation with zero units on the table (most people screw up a setup when you have nothing on the board to oppose them).

Mech is very good against most armies. In fact, we have the only "tank company" list that's legal in the game. I'm a HUGE fan of the new Devilfish SMS system and Sky Ray.

By the way, if ANYONE knows when the Skyray is to be released, PM me or post a reply here. I need to know so I can figure out if I need a forgeworld conversion prior to my tournament.

I'll let you know how mech does in a tournament environment after the 15th.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 03 Apr 2006, 03:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to flowerfall

any army can win in an experienced players hands. Each army has its advantages and disadvantages. in ill favour of the dice gods. Hybrid Tau can Defeat Mech and Static could beat mech. A game is not a certain as Rock is going to smash scissors which will cut paper, which will wrap up the rock. You choose your models, your style of play. And you play and you damn post a battle report so i can read something.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 03:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default Re: Can tau Mech win tournaments?

Furthermore, have any of you read the "Fastest Gun" thread on the General 40k board? 30" assault ranges, ~50" second turn assaults? Reality is catching up....

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Closed Thread